New Dell 1730 Dual 8800GTX beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Yeah I need to do that too, keep forgetting :)

Am really impressed with this machine, got Assasins Creed, Tomb Raider Anniversary, UT3 and Crysis installed at the moment and is coping well with them all.

The only gripe I have really is the power cable connection at the back is a bit on the loose side, but once I get a TV tray table sorted it wont be hoiked between my lap and the coffee table anymore ;)

Associate
Got one of these for mine

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-040-AK&groupid=959&catid=1076&subcat=

My god do they make a difference on the M1730. On my desk at work, there is a torrent of warm air thrown out the back of the laptop, with the cooler inplace its hardly warm at all.

I think I'm going to have to go back to the 32bit edition. The 174.82's and 174.85's gimp my cards clock frequencies too much. Down to 383 GPU / 301 Memory / 767 shader from 500/799/1250 :(

Associate
Hi, I currently have an M1710 (with 7950GTX) - I'm just wondering has anyone gone from one of these to a 1730 with 8800GTX and was the upgrade worth it?
I have priced a 1730 with 2.5Ghz, 4GB and dual 8800's for around 2100 euro or 1700 stg

Soldato
Hi, I currently have an M1710 (with 7950GTX) - I'm just wondering has anyone gone from one of these to a 1730 with 8800GTX and was the upgrade worth it?
I have priced a 1730 with 2.5Ghz, 4GB and dual 8800's for around 2100 euro or 1700 stg
Yup, went from an m1710 to this. Obliterates it in every factor apart from battery life. (got my 1525 for that, though)

7950gtx doesn't have a hope in hell against 1 8800m gtx, forget two. :D

Can you say 8-16x aa @ 1920x1200 with everything on max?

Associate
Drools at prospect of gaming at 1900x1200 :p Battery life isn't an issue - I see it functioning more as a UPS in the case of a power cut. Thanks, certainly food for thought....

Soldato
Yeah, I'm currently on a FX2500m clocked to 7950 levels and it just gets destroyed by my mates 1730. Once you get a chance to use one it's really difficult not to have a large scale desire to purchase.
There's no way I can afford one at the moment but in the back of my mind it's there. "sell everything, EVERYTHING, you need dual 8800s"

Associate
Drools at prospect of gaming at 1900x1200 :p Battery life isn't an issue - I see it functioning more as a UPS in the case of a power cut. Thanks, certainly food for thought....

Gets about 1hr 20mins set to high performance mode:p

But yea...You can watch the battery metre go down like a ton of bricks:D

Associate
Hi, was thinking about ordering one while I'm working in Australia but I saw on another forum that said in Australia the Dell laptops come with the samsung screen which aren't very good... Does anyone have any more info on this?

Also this will be my first laptop and I was wondering how you go about ordering one from the sales people. Ok, yes, you ring them up and ask for a 1730, but is there a complete spec sheet to pick and choose parts from without getting "other crap" put on/in it. I ask as their customize bit on their website doesn't seem to give you a huge amount of choice of making it a custom machine... it just looks like a better version of a sales leaflet to give to people who just buy without thinking what their getting.

Also, are there any of the 5 or 10% deal codes still going around/still valid etc?

P.S. I'm wanting to run supreme commander on this and afaik XP runs the game better than vista. Any "Dos or don'ts" when ordering a machine thats going to be running either A) XP or B) Vista apart from the 2gig limitation in XP over vista etc.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
Associate
I picked up my M1730 today and I have a Samsung screen - apart from a little backlight bleed at the bottom of the panel, it's really bright and clear. It's seems a lot brighter than the display on my old M1710. Can't really answer your other questions, other than always take a look at what they have for sale in the outlet as there can be great deals there at times.

Associate
Are all of the 4GB of RAM used in a 32-bit operating system?
Is it worth going for 64-bit Vista as opposed to 32-bit Vista (are there any limitations with 64-bit)?

Thanks.

Soldato
Are all of the 4GB of RAM used in a 32-bit operating system?
Is it worth going for 64-bit Vista as opposed to 32-bit Vista (are there any limitations with 64-bit)?

Thanks.

No, much of it will go AWOL due to the max addressable 4gb and the video cards, etc eating into the ram. 64 bit is the only way to go.

The driver support for 64 bit is a total joke. hacked drivers were really unstable but the same drivers on 32 bit are ok
There must be something very wrong on your set-up, my vista 64 install has gone without a single problem. Currently running the 175.12's and they are rock solid as were the previous 4 driver versions I tried.

Does this mean you recommend avoiding 64-bit Vista?

I would advise against 32 bit with such a machine, 4gb makes gaming and general use much better than 2gb and/or a 32 bit os.

Associate
No, much of it will go AWOL due to the max addressable 4gb and the video cards, etc eating into the ram. 64 bit is the only way to go.

There must be something very wrong on your set-up, my vista 64 install has gone without a single problem. Currently running the 175.12's and they are rock solid as were the previous 4 driver versions I tried.

I would advise against 32 bit with such a machine, 4gb makes gaming and general use much better than 2gb and/or a 32 bit os.

Currently running 64 bit Vista on my M1730 without a single issue either :)

Cheers,
Hugest

Associate
Thank you very much.
Just one final question if I can.

I understand that certain software out there needs to be modified or re-developed if it's to make the change from XP to Vista.

Is this also the case for going from 32-bit to 64-bit?

So for example, Mr Vendor of Special Software (eg. accounting software) needs to advise his customers that their XP versions of his software won't run on Vista, they need the new Vista version of his software. Will he also need to advise similarly if his customers are using 64-bit Vista instead of 32-bit Vista. Or is it simply a case if its developed for 32-bit it'll also work on 64-bit?

Thanks!

Associate
Hi,

Most 32 bit applications work fine in 64 bit i think there were a lot of problems with older software compatability when vista first launched but vista 64 runs 32bit apps just fine.

Cheers,
Hugest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom