New Gaming Rig Advice..

Associate
OP
Not sure if I should overclock the CPU now.. I'm happy with performance but feel as if I may be missing a trick as I'm not getting the full works out of it by not overclocking.

Soldato
Not sure if I should overclock the CPU now.. I'm happy with performance but feel as if I may be missing a trick as I'm not getting the full works out of it by not overclocking.
I would wait for the May release plus 8 Pack (a professional system builder/clocker) had this to say on another thread:
The real improvements are around 3-4 weeks away when the really high dividers should be working.
With this in mind even if the May update doesn't get you to 3200MHz (not crucial BTW) - it seems like they'll be another update that may have a more significant impact.

As for clocking the CPU - i would prefer we wait for updates and be 100% sure that you're system is stable when we hopefully get your memory at 3200MHz. You're fortunate that we're running at 3000MHz (although this is common now) - and the faster memory speed will probably be giving you more gains than an extra 100/200MHz added to the CPU. As increased Ryzen performance has a very strong link with higher memory speeds - so getting to 3200 and keeping things stable should ideally be our next goal.

Plus, you're on a stock cooler - you may want to wait until you have a third party cooler strapped to the top before we start playing - as you won't notice any real gains other than 120++ FPS in games at the moment :)

Enjoy your high memory speeds and stable system for now - we have plenty of time to introduce a clock and instability :D

(it wouldn't be unstable.)

Associate
OP
Yeah that makes a lot of sense! I agree completely.

I've noticed Wildlands only has stutters in the first 5 minutes of loading in to the map, after that everything is perfect.

Associate
OP
Really enjoying it. Very cool world to explore. It is a bit samey, arrive somewhere, take the enemies out - rinse and repeat but I like to do it all as stealthy as possible so adds a bit more to it.

Associate
OP
:D Is it a worthy upgrade from my current 1080p 144hz AOC monitor? Hearing G-Sync is perfect for complimenting a NVidia graphics card and smooth gameplay so it's right up my street..

Soldato
:D Is it a worthy upgrade from my current 1080p 144hz AOC monitor? Hearing G-Sync is perfect for complimenting a NVidia graphics card and smooth gameplay so it's right up my street..
That's a tough call - what's the brand/model/size of your present monitor?

Hearing G-Sync is perfect for complimenting a NVidia graphics card and smooth gameplay so it's right up my street..

Gsync will compliment your GTX 1070 nicely and you would have no issues running a 1440p monitor - plus you use less AA etc - as there's less need at such high resolution.

What i can't decide is whether you'll see a massive improvement in smoothness as you already have a 144Hz monitor.

stulid has just bought the very same monitor i may seek his advice - as he's probably been in the position of owning both types of monitor (or at least a 1080p 144Hz variant and now he has the AOC 1440p Gsync).

If he doesn't spot this post - i'll ask him in private messaging.

EDIT: Oddly enough i'm ordering the same monitor for my brother very soon - but i won't get to see it this time as i'm sending it directly to him. Set up one in the past - but had very little time using it (just set it up)

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Ok cheers Plec.

I think I have managed to fix the fps drops/tiny stutter in Wildlands.

It's one of two things..

1) I've only just realised that my screen in game was on windowed border less, changed that to full screen now.
2) Put V-Sync on.

Since doing them two things it's been perfect. Also noticed that my GPU usage has gone way down now to about 70-80%. Before it was high 90's at all times.

Soldato
Yes, V-Sync comes into it's own when you have a decent GPU.

What's the name model of your present monitor - for comparison?

Associate
OP
You'd suggest to put V-Sync on, on every game then?

The monitor I have now was bought from here a couple years back, it's a "AOC G2460FQ 24" Widescreen 144Hz 1ms Gaming LED Monitor - Gunmetal".

Soldato
The monitor I have now was bought from here a couple years back, it's a "AOC G2460FQ 24" Widescreen 144Hz 1ms Gaming LED Monitor - Gunmetal".
Reading reviews and user reviews of your present monitor - not that favourable.

Have you been able to set it 144Hz?

How come the GPU usage has shot down since turning it on? Just curious, don't know a lot about these things, I like learning :D
It's capping the FPS to your monitor refresh rate - and it maybe that your monitor isn't set up correctly.

What FPS is it displaying with V-Sync on?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom