New Star Trek series - 2017

Soldato
The more details that come about about this the more rubbish it sounds. Just read the info on ign. Why oh why do we have another prequel.

I think with the current movies taking place in the Kirk/Spock era, more modern settings (post TNG/Voyager/DS9) are out of fashion at Paramount. The beancounters just are looking at the Trek-fatigue that set in, and the success of the reboots, and sticking with that. No one want to rock the boat and do something new that doesn't work.

It's possible that they also don't want to confuse the audience, with any shows being in the old, canon universe, and the movie reboots now taking place in the alternative timeline.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Yeah 50 years after would have been great, it was a winning formula for TNG and it was great to have doctor mcoy touring the new Enterprise to seeing it off, we could have had pensioner picard seeing off the new enterprise off but nope.

Many fans felt a multi-time based tv series was the key and agree that would have worked wonders and just made sense since there is so much trek and it would have allowed them to go back or forward to any character to any time point but nope.

Anyhow its trek and will watch it and love it regardless !

R3X

R3X

Soldato
http://www.superherohype.com/news/379959-star-trek-discovery-details-revealed-by-bryan-fuller

Female lead for the show, set 10 years before kirks mission, will include gay character and many alien characters, set during a critical time in star fleet history which has not been explored yet. Potential room for other existing characters to turn up also.

Main female lead will be a lieutenant commander, and show will have robots in it.

ER3EEoNJf7LVu.gif

Soldato
Wish they would stop pushing gay into trek. No need no need at all as even George Takei didnt like them making sulu gay in the new film (havent watched but heard he is now).

The female lead for the new show isnt going to be the captain of the ship from what they said on twitter i think.

Might be nice to have the new show set 10 years before kirk which was reported. I like the universe of that time frame where klingons are the bad guys and scraps between feds and klingons were common place. Romulans probably wont be in as in TOS they were written that they havent seen a romulan in a LONG time since the treaty was established. Which tbh is good as the romulans in the new films were so bad compared to romulans that we know of in tos-ds9 eras.

Still unsure of the ship and the story being in chapters.

Soldato
Wish they would stop pushing gay into trek. No need no need at all as even George Takei didnt like them making sulu gay in the new film (havent watched but heard he is now).

To be fair it not realy worth mentioning , just one very short slow mo scene where the hubby put his arm around sulu as they walk away from the camera with kid while it blurs out, 2 or 3 secs at most. Then you see the hubby on his own for about 1 sec later on in the movie. It was so minor and short I don't understand the fuss about.

If there was a 20min long Big Gay Al like segment then it be a different matter lol

HeX

HeX

Soldato
To be fair it not realy worth mentioning , just one very short slow mo scene where the hubby put his arm around sulu as they walk away from the camera with kid while it blurs out, 2 or 3 secs at most. Then you see the hubby on his own for about 1 sec later on in the movie. It was so minor and short I don't understand the fuss about.

If there was a 20min long Big Gay Al like segment then it be a different matter lol

The fuss is because they took an established character and made him gay just because the actor who previously portrayed him is gay. Even though when they contacted George Takei (twice) he explicitly said (both times) that he thought it was a bad idea, Sulu wasn't gay, he appreciated the gesture but don't do it, make a new gay character instead. Then they went and did it anyway.

Takei first learned of Sulu's recent same-sex leanings last year, when Cho called him to reveal the big news. Takei tried to convince him to make a new character gay instead. "I told him, 'Be imaginative and create a character who has a history of being gay, rather than Sulu, who had been straight all this time, suddenly being revealed as being closeted.'"

Not long after Cho's bombshell call came another, this one from Lin, again informing him that Sulu was indeed to be gay in Star Trek Beyond. Takei remained steadfastly opposed to the decision.

"I said, 'This movie is going to be coming out on the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, the 50th anniversary of paying tribute to Gene Roddenberry, the man whose vision it was carried us through half a century. Honor him and create a new character. I urged them. He left me feeling that that was going to happen," Takei says.

After that, all was quiet from Beyond until a few months ago, when Takei received an email from Pegg "praising me for my advocacy for the LGBT movement and for my pride in Star Trek," he says. "And I thought to myself, 'How wonderful! It’s a fan letter from Simon Pegg. Justin had talked to him!'" Takei was certain the creative team had rethought their decision to make Sulu gay.

That is until one month ago, when he received an email from Cho informing him that the actor was about to embark on an international media tour for Beyond. Cho said it was bound to come out that his character was gay, and "what should he do?" A disappointed Takei told Cho to go about his promotional duties, but that he was "not going to change" his mind on the matter.

"I really tried to work with these people when at long last the issue of gay equality was going to be addressed," Takei says. "I thought after that conversation with Justin that was going to happen. Months later, when I got that email from Simon Pegg, I was kind of confused. He thinks I’m a great guy? Wonderful. But what was the point of that letter? I interpreted that as my words having been heard."

Last edited:
Caporegime
I freaking hate any alternative life style stuff being shoved down your throat as much as I hate heterosexual stuff being shoe horned into a show where it's gratuitous and not needed.

Torchwood was the worzt. Most of that just seemed gay agenda driven for the sake of it. Often to the detriment of the story.

I don't really care who you ****

Soldato
I freaking hate any alternative life style stuff being shoved down your throat as much as I hate heterosexual stuff being shoe horned into a show where it's gratuitous and not needed.

Torchwood was the worzt. Most of that just seemed gay agenda driven for the sake of it. Often to the detriment of the story.

I don't really care who you ****��

This exactly, just out of interest, what percentage of people are gay in real life, compared to what the percentage is on the TV....

Associate
I thought it could have been good to fill the gap we never got to see with the enterprise C if they wanted to do a prequal. Captained by Rachel Garrett. Having watched the other series I always wondered what that ship got upto before being destroyed. Plus it would fit a criteria for a female captain/lead that they seem so concerned with. Then the other multi cultural boxes could be checked by the first officer maybe and they could be the lead character instead of the captain if necessary.
Personally I will give it a watch as I've wanted another trek for a while but I am disappointed that they haven't moved the timeline forward. It would have been good to see some radical new designs on ships and maybe that slipstream technology being used that voyager got hold of. Warp 9.9 got boring. Lol. With that they could really go exploring the depths of other quadrants.

Back
Top Bottom