*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Is there an issue with the Power Off mode that causes the Switch to still use power? When I shut mine down I always use the Power Off option from the Power menu rather than just press the power button once to put into standby but it still drains the battery within about 7-8 days. Mine is a Switch OLED so will have the better battery.

Associate
Is there an issue with the Power Off mode that causes the Switch to still use power? When I shut mine down I always use the Power Off option from the Power menu rather than just press the power button once to put into standby but it still drains the battery within about 7-8 days. Mine is a Switch OLED so will have the better battery.
Not as far as I'm aware. But I always leave mine docked when I'm not using it.

Soldato
Yeah I normally do but I had a visit to A&E last Saturday night and left it in my bag, I had to go again last night and thought I could play something while waiting to see the doc/test results but it was almost dead. I definitely put into Power Off mode not Standby so it must be using something in the background even when “Fully” powered off.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah I normally do but I had a visit to A&E last Saturday night and left it in my bag, I had to go again last night and thought I could play something while waiting to see the doc/test results but it was almost dead. I definitely put into Power Off mode not Standby so it must be using something in the background even when “Fully” powered off.
It will drain some power slowly with time, but not that much. My bet is that it was still in standby mode, and/or perhaps something was pressing against the joycons or the home button in your bag which kept it "awake".

Last edited:
Soldato
It will drain some power slowly with time, but not that much. My bet is that it was still in standby mode, and/or perhaps something was pressing against the joycons or the home button in your bag which kept it "awake".

I'm going to have to agree with this post. I can keep my OLED in standby for a week and it'll still have some juice for at least an hour minimum.

Soldato
Hummm weird. It was actually in its case which is big enough that the joycons are sort of captive so can’t see it being that. I will have to look into it a bit more, there is a possibility that I did just put in standby last time but it’s something I try not to do.

Associate
I am wondering if someone can help me.

When I'm playing Fortnite on the Switch, one of the Joycons sometimes disconnects mid-game.

What's strange is when it disconnects on Fortnite, it'll still work on the home screen of the console. It also still works on Fortnite when I use it hands-free. But won't when I reconnect it to the console. I have to sync it up again for Fortnite to recognize it.

Associate
Hummm weird. It was actually in its case which is big enough that the joycons are sort of captive so can’t see it being that. I will have to look into it a bit more, there is a possibility that I did just put in standby last time but it’s something I try not to do.
A lot of cases aren't as protectve as you think ...if something is pressing on the top of the case it can push the joycon sticks in ( equivalent to using L3 or R3 input ) and that will keep the console awake.

Associate
For me Wii Sports was better. Don't get me wrong Switch Sports is well done I just think it might not hold people's attention as much as the original. Without trying to sound old and boring it's almost like part of the magic has gone now that we've become used to motion controls, that and I felt it required a little more skill than before.

Having said that I don't have kids and when I gave it a go I was doing so in single player so very much not your use case. Overall I'd say if you're keen (even if it only turns out to be brief) then try it.
Was playing switch sports tennis with the kids the other day and they all loved it, it's nice and simple for the little kids so they all had a fun time!

Soldato
I ended up picking up Trombone Champ, Golf Story and Super Monkey Ball Banana Mania. Trombone Champ is a fun game but can be pretty frustrating! Anything other than stick control is a bit finicky to get working properly. I love the IR method, just wish I had an easier solution, mostly looks to lag when in movement and actually getting it to do what you want is another challenge!

fez

fez

Caporegime
Wonder is a great game no doubt. It has its issues like all 2d mario games but generally its fantastic. I just get frustrated that Nintendo still hasn't given us a new 3D mainline mario game since 2017 when the switch was launched.

Associate
Wonder is a great game no doubt. It has its issues like all 2d mario games but generally its fantastic. I just get frustrated that Nintendo still hasn't given us a new 3D mainline mario game since 2017 when the switch was launched.
Hopefully we'll get a new 3D Mario as a launch title for Switch 2 later this year.

Associate
I'm sure we will. They will have been holding back the new 3D mario along with the next mario kart and hopefully metroid prime 4.
Nintendo please take my money, I'm ready for next gen :D
Or re-releases of everything we’ve had before :p
I watched a YouTube video at the weekend that did mention a new gen trilogy re-release of Bayonetta trilogy on the Switch 2.

Associate
Got an OLED Switch for Christmas :) been thoroughly enjoying playing Mariokart and Wonder with the Mrs on our TV. We're currently using half a joycon each so I am struggling with my fat hands on a tiny controller. What would you guys recommend, getting two pro controllers or another joycon with the comfort grip thing?

fez

fez

Caporegime
Nintendo please take my money, I'm ready for next gen :D

If there is one thing Nintendo are the absolute masters at, its taking as much of peoples money as possible for as little work as possible.

Nintendo and the Switch are basically the reason why the whole games industry has been doing remasters, re-releases etc for the past few years. They made the industry realise that there are a lot of adults that grew up with great games and now have the disposable income to buy them again and they will do just that. Sometimes multiple times.

Nintendo released the Switch nearly 7 years ago and released:

1 new 3D mario
0 new mario karts
0 new 3D metroid games
1.5 new zelda games (perhaps being generous I'm not sure as the first one was supposed to be Wii U and the second took fricking ages and reused the world of the first...)
No new donkey kong games
1 new pikmin game
1 rubbish mario party

Despite that, its been insanely successful. They will release the new Switch once they have bled every drop of blood they think they can from the current gen and then do it all again next gen.

Back
Top Bottom