*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
just ordered one too - complete impulse buy never even looked at one before never mind played one

so guys what do i need to know/buy for the switch?

i'll mainly just be playing mario kart if i'm honest. i hate RPG's

a pro controller has been mentioned by a colleague at work.

any good 2 player local games i should be looking at?

Buy Zelda. Even if you don't play RPGs it's great.

Two player games - look at Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Crypt of the Necrodancer

Soldato
Going to collect Smash from Argos in the morning, and since I have the work Christmas party tonight, and a busy day tomorrow I can't see me getting to play much until Sunday at best.

Hope everyone who can get some play time in is enjoying it!

Likewise, my Amazon locker order won't arrive until tomorrow so I won't have a chance to pick it up until Monday!

Reviews seem good though so looking forward to getting it :cool:

Soldato
Surprise surprise first time using ShopTo years after I said I wouldn’t again they’ve not delivered on release. Teaches me, normally would go digital but the price they had had on Black Friday was too good to be true (clearly)!

Soldato
Never played a smash game before so going into this pure noob. I was pretty handy on Tekken back in the day though !

Any basic tips I should know ?

I'm awful at fighting games but i used to be quite handy at SSB on the Gamecube. My only tip is finding a character that suits you. So it may take you a while but I know my go-to guy was always Young Link, Sheik, Falco and Pichu were my favourites in that order. I'd always try Kirby as my troll character too

Surprise surprise first time using ShopTo years after I said I wouldn’t again they’ve not delivered on release. Teaches me, normally would go digital but the price they had had on Black Friday was too good to be true (clearly)!

Amazon have never let me down in that regard

fez

fez

Caporegime
I've always been awful at fighting games so I'm looking forward to adding this to the list of games I suck at. Dark souls, bloodbourne I'm fine but put me on a fighting game and I don't have the patience to git gud.

Caporegime
isn't super smash bro's just a a street fighter wannabe?

Buy Zelda. Even if you don't play RPGs it's great.

Two player games - look at Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime and Crypt of the Necrodancer

thanls i'll take a look. and unfortunately no on the zelda front. i don't have that much time to sink into 1 game want pick up and play a full game start to finish within an hour or so. which is why FPS is my go to.

you know what this is my first actual nintendo console. we had a wii before but that was my bro's.

i've been amstrad, master system, mega drive 2, playstation, playstation 2, xbox, 360, playstation 3, playstation 4, xbox one elite, nintendo switch

Snipperclips. Best ~£15 game for multiplayer.

Just took delivery of my Super Smash Bro's Ultimate limited edition. The controller feels lovely. I'm hoping my 17 year old muscle memory of SSB:M still exists and I'll be competent with Young Link again.

cheers i'l take a look.

Soldato
I've always been awful at fighting games so I'm looking forward to adding this to the list of games I suck at. Dark souls, bloodbourne I'm fine but put me on a fighting game and I don't have the patience to git gud.
I hate both of those with a passion (mainly cause I’m crap and need to git gud) but put me on a fighting game (without battle modifiers) and I’m happy.

You’ll love smash. I’m not the best player but it’s loads of fun.

Soldato
Bomberman is, yes.

Overcooked 1 & 2 are great for multiplayer. Also Mario Party.

Smash is quite different to any other fighting franchise. It's designed to be easy to play. One button for normal attacks. One button for special attacks. You push either button in conjunction with a direction on the left stick to execute different moves. There's none of the "quarter-circle left, up, down, spin the controller around, then press a, followed by b precisely 0.023s later to do a hadouken" nonsense here. If you've never played a Smash game before then Ultimate is definitely the place to start.

And buy a glass screen protector now. The Switch has a cheap plastic screen which is too easy to damage.

Last edited:
Soldato
any 2-4 player games like bomberman?

in fact is bomberman on it?

Bomberman is on it. For 2 player "head to head" games you can't really beat Nidhogg 2 though.

And Smash is great. Nothing at all like Street Fighter etc, which I've never got on with. It's got really straightforward controls, very easy to pick up and play, no need to learn moves, but incredibly deep gameplay.

I'm also going to push Zelda one more time - I'm also short on time (it's rare for me to work less than 10 hours a day, and then go to the gym), but it's a game that really welcomes dipping in and out. You can play 20 mins, explore a little, and stop without feeling that you've left something half finished. It's much, much better in that regard than any other open world game I've played.

Edit: oh, and as above Overcooked is ace

Soldato
On the Smash front, I think I'm pretty close to unlocking everyone now :D Not sure exactly how many characters there are, but I'm counting 67 on my screen.

Soldato
Can any1 tell me if it's better with the GameCube controller or not.and can you rank up online with the characters? I think I will pick it up on Monday and play as have day off :p

Soldato
I think with long games like Zelda the sleep function of the Switch is a godsend. It's great to be able to just pick up and play within seconds. I've completed so many games which I otherwise might not have because of this.

Man of Honour
Smash is all about keep trying trying and trying more until you find "your" character then get like you feel really good with them...go online and lose in seconds :D

It's all about finding the cheap things that make your friends rage :D

Can any1 tell me if it's better with the GameCube controller or not.and can you rank up online with the characters? I think I will pick it up on Monday and play as have day off :p

Only if you're used to the GC controller historically. The Pro controller is much better suited to the game really.

On the Smash front, I think I'm pretty close to unlocking everyone now :D Not sure exactly how many characters there are, but I'm counting 67 on my screen.

Yeah you can unlock everything in about 1.5 hours if you're efficient about it. You're not far off.

I'm awful at fighting games but i used to be quite handy at SSB on the Gamecube. My only tip is finding a character that suits you. So it may take you a while but I know my go-to guy was always Young Link, Sheik, Falco and Pichu were my favourites in that order. I'd always try Kirby as my troll character too

The combo's in Melee were insane compared to this version. You could get a guaranteed kill off of a throw at around 30% in Melee!

Last edited:
Soldato
Ha it is always about finding the cheap moves as Kree has said. I used to enjoy juggling my friends with the C stick back on the game cube. Great fun!

I was gonna get the Pro-controllers but when I saw the gamecube controller is supported i figured it would be nice for nostalgia. The controllers feel more comfortable than the originals

Back
Top Bottom