*** Nintendo Switch ***

Soldato
Is it common for a joy con to just fail? My left one is not detected when attached to the switch or on its grip. No idea what to do with :(

The right one is perfectly fine

Edit: ignore I just needed three attempts at pairing :s

Soldato
If they would have kept the same screen size in this I would have been tempted as I play mostly in handheld and like the idea of a more solid feeling switch without needing to buy a case !

Anyone get my friend pedro ? Contemplating that and Mario maker 2 as I havent picked my switch up in ages

Soldato
Trying not to buy anything and work on my backlog. A sale this size is not making it easy!

Finished Hob and INSIDE this week. Both really enjoyable. INSIDE is amazing especially the last third. Not a very long game but full of great ideas and atmosphere. I can't wait to see what Playdead are working on for their third game.

Soldato
Some good games on sale, a few of the note worthy ones,

Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle £11.09
Rayman Legends definitive edition £7.49
Castlevania Collection £11.19
Steamworld Dig £2.69!
Steamworld Dig 2 £7.49
Valkyria Chronicles £7.99
Fast rmx £11.89
Child of Light Ultimate Edition £6.40
Owl boy £11.39

Nice one, picking up Castlevania, thanks bud.

Man of Honour
So, I ended up completing Celeste. I had no idea what I was getting myself into, pretty sure I have never been so emotionally moved by a game. I ended up having some counselling over the past year ( :o ) and a lot of the themes that I've explored came up and got the waterworks going ( :o :o ) - particularly that line...

... [paraphrasing slightly] about being at the bottom of the ocean and feeling like you are endlessly suffering, desperately hoping to randomly bump into something that saves you.

What was most striking that whilst there were themes of 'depression' (and that word was expressly mentioned) I think the key message, being the appropriate message, was actually 'healing'; accepting that different parts of you can feel very differently at the same time... lean too hard one way and you shut off to the other part of completely, causing this silent, undefeatable scream that clouds everything... but you don't know why!

Umm, annnnyyyyywayyyy, the game itself was extremely fun. Took ~6 hours to whizz through and there are many collectables if you are so inclined. The challenge / enjoyment balance is perfect, utterly wonderful. I don't think I was annoyed once the whole game. What a joy!

Also, the final section of the game combining the emotion with the gameplay, was just so utterly poetic and wonderful:

You main move being the dash, then finally opening yourself up and listening to your 'evil twin', who wasn't really evil at all, gives you a double dash. The struggle is gone and everything just becomes so joyful and 'light'. You're flying!

Genius. 10/10 from me.

As a side point, it's really good that people are talking about their emotions more these days. Perhaps I've only just become aware of it from my own experiences, but so many people of my age group (i.e. in their 30s) seem to be really tied-up in knots. If you find yourself in this position, please do talk! To your partner, your friends, your family, a counsellor, the samaritans, colleagues, even on here - it'll be the best thing you ever do :)

Last edited:
Soldato

I find it amazing how these smaller/indie games can really get such a strong message across. Just shows you don't need a massive budget or fancy graphics to make it work.

Personally I can't speak to the subject matter but I've heard many people say similar to yourself about how accurately it represents it all, and how in turn people have been moved by its themes.

I think I stopped just shy of the end for some silly reason, this post makes me want to return to it! Thanks

Soldato
Gosh yes you must finish it. An incredible experience for me, too. Really opened my eyes to what indie games can be. I've played through it 3 times now and I never replay games. One of the best ever.

Man of Honour
How many B sides and C sides did you do? I have up getting all the strawberries but I did all of the B sides and 2 of the C sides.
I just got to the credits, haven’t done any of B and C sides - I collected one tape and a fair few strawberries (when I fancied it). I’m interested in doing ‘the core’ so please, no spoilers on that!

If I may waffle self-indulgently, there is a part of me (pride / insecurity?) that cannot rest, and experiences self-doubt, until everything is ‘perfect’ - which is a huge nuisance in my life that causes great stress. It was refreshing that the game was expressly clear that the strawberries ‘didn’t matter’ and in line with the themes of the game, it felt quite liberating to say to myself “you know... I don’t think I’ll bother with all of these strawberries”. Time for me to start applying that mentality elsewhere, I think!

TLDL / cutting my waffle - nope, didn’t play those and missed a lot of strawberries :p

Soldato
Hi Switch fans! Thinking of buying a Switch this week. Any essential accessories I should be looking at? What's the minimum size memory card you'd recommend?

Are you planning on buying a lot of digital games? If so I'd go with at least 128GB which can be had for under £20. Although many games actually have quite small file sizes, at least first party games tend to.

Accessory wise I'd recommend the pro controller when playing in docked mode, it's very comfortable and battery lasts ages.

You'll probably want a case too, I have the black official Nintendo one from launch which is nice but not the strongest, if you want something tougher then there are plenty of hard cases if you're travelling a lot.

Soldato
Are you planning on buying a lot of digital games? If so I'd go with at least 128GB which can be had for under £20. Although many games actually have quite small file sizes, at least first party games tend to.

Accessory wise I'd recommend the pro controller when playing in docked mode, it's very comfortable and battery lasts ages.

You'll probably want a case too, I have the black official Nintendo one from launch which is nice but not the strongest, if you want something tougher then there are plenty of hard cases if you're travelling a lot.

Good info, thanks! I might already have a 128GB Micro SD card here somewhere. I'll look into cases, as I'd certainly take it with me a lot.

Do I need a screen protector? I guess a better question would be is the screen prone to scratches? I generally look after my phones enough that I never have an issue with an unprotected screen, but then they tend to have Gorilla Glass or whatever... Not sure how the Switch compares.

Soldato
Good info, thanks! I might already have a 128GB Micro SD card here somewhere. I'll look into cases, as I'd certainly take it with me a lot.

Do I need a screen protector? I guess a better question would be is the screen prone to scratches? I generally look after my phones enough that I never have an issue with an unprotected screen, but then they tend to have Gorilla Glass or whatever... Not sure how the Switch compares.

The screen will get scratched simply being put into the dock without a protector so it's a must!

Soldato
I’d say yes for screen protector as it’s only a plastic screen! I also found the protector seemed to make the image look more vibrant. Not sure if placebo or due to glass “sheen”

The screen will get scratched simply being put into the dock without a protector so it's a must!

Thanks guys, I'll definitely get one then!

Back
Top Bottom