No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Looks like a great sandbox with endless exploration. The ign video made it look great, but I do worry about there being no direction and no story at all - especially given th dodged question at the end. Regardless, could see this being a lot of fun. The hype/promise does feel a lot like spore all over again though. We shall see :)

I'm thinking its going to be basically a big grind. But that's not necessarily a bad thing.

He's mentioned you need certain elements to upgrade your ship and suit - which may be on dangerous planets. So probably, to get closer to the centre of the galaxy you'll need progressively more difficult elements to obtain in order to get better upgrades - to allow you to get to the next step inwards towards the centre.

Maybe the grind will be too much. Who knows. I think it looks pretty great though.

It's different from most other games out there at least. Which is 90% of what I'm looking for these days.

What they've achieved is great, and the fact they're not trying to over-hype it is refreshing. It's awesome to see small operations like these and the guy(s?) behind Limit Theory getting attention purely based on innovative ideas.

Ultimately though any game that really fires peoples imagination is always going to fall short of what a lot hope it will be. Personally the fact they've pretty much said they're not classing it as an MMO at all is a bit of a killer. No matter how awesome the AI generation is it's gonna feel kinda empty when you're pretty much never gonna run in to other living people. In my head I'd want planet colonisation, co-operation to gain the tech and construction to build ships advanced enough to finally make it to the centre etc.

It's the same problem with these open sandbox games (and NMS is an awesome looking sandbox) ie you have to have a way to give the players things to do. Whether it's missions, a storyline, looting and levelling, something that big needs to have things to do - you can't just expect players to simply keep visiting and scanning the same (but different) billions of stars over and over.

Are we sure that's not just PS4 date? Hopefully PC gets it at same time and not months after or something.
They said before that it will be released same day on PC.

Looks like this is being pushed back to coincide with a PSVR release to me.

Hopefully Sony doesn't throw another check at them and buy up exclusivity like they just did with Robinson: The Journey.

I'm really not sure about this game. I played ED for only about two weeks before I became bored and moved on. I like big sandbox games but there needs to be some kind of story arc to keep me interested.

I'm really not sure about this game. I played ED for only about two weeks before I became bored and moved on. I like big sandbox games but there needs to be some kind of story arc to keep me interested.

So long as it's been worked over really well and there are few problems, well that's enough for me at least for the first month oh and the price is not too high.

That is precisely my big concern about the game. He mentions that it will be spectacularly rare to meet another player (understandable given the size of the gameworld) and talks about how you earn ingame currency for naming things. But what worries me is what is the actual game? Is it just flying about naming things and exploring. Is there a plot? A story? Missions? Character development etc?

As someone else mentioned in this thread, all I see at the moment is what looks and appears to play like, a tech demo.

Back
Top Bottom