• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Soldato
Its under LN2, its heavily modified and voltage is way over standard voltage. Its not a Kingpin card that is ever going to be for sale. Its a standard FE card with loads of resistors and pots soldered onto it to ramp up the voltage. I suspect it will be between 1.3v and 1.5v if we every got to know. No aircooled or even water cooled card will ever be released with anything close to those volts.
you can see in the pics he has done the shunt mod too. But yea its very unlikley consumers will get close to those speeds. Even with a custom PCB and VRM phases id expect around 2.2Ghz on average.

Soldato
the problem is that if demonstrations like this are done to sell product then in other industries their are laws against it. if the demonstration is done as an independent then there is not a problem. and there lies the conflict and it's a fine line.

Soldato
the problem is that if demonstrations like this are done to sell product then in other industries their are laws against it. if the demonstration is done as an independent then there is not a problem. and there lies the conflict and it's a fine line.

Not sure there is a problem with what they are showing though. It shows that he can overclock really well by doing loads of custom stuff and he is sponsored by EVGA which is no different to any other sponsorship which is all about selling products.

There is no law to say what is being shown isn't allowed to be done to sell EVGA cards by them being an affiliation.

Caporegime
LN2 is not something the everyday Joe Bloggs can do or want to do. It is a show of skill and competitiveness that only a few are privy to. I have watched Roman (Deb8uer) and Ian (8Pack) hard mod GPUs to push a GPU to the very edge and obtain world records. If anyone honestly thinks that they can obtain these clocks on air or water, or even close is being daft. The sell comes from people like EVGA/Asus/Gigabyte etc having world class overclockers gaining world records on their GPUs. It gets publicised that 8 Pack achieved a new world record on a Asus Strix for example and our mindset works along the lines of "Ohhh, that must be a stonking card then" and generally people think they are going to get a good clocker.

I was with Ian and Roman in Cambridge and had a great weekend and watching both at work is a genuine honour and I was happy to get an interview with the big man.

And in this one, you can see the power boards added to the Titan X Maxwells and that is just a small part of it.

I would urge anyone interested in advanced LN2 cooling to watch people like Ian, Roman, TopDog and our own Nickolp1974 at events and you can see that these GPU clocks and CPU clocks are not for mere mortals like us :D

Soldato
so the challenge from me is not about skill or wonder in terms of showing off the realm of the possible. The challenge from me is that the Kingpin screenshot was presented on the EVGA facebook feed to promote EVGA 1080ti cards. So, its all about context. From a consumer perspective there is a fine line between showing the realm of the possible and providing mis-information in order to boost sales of a product.

Where I am coming from is, there is little difference between what is being done here and someone like Lamborghini (just an example, they have not actually done this *cough*) running a juiced ECU on a production car at the 'ring and then also associating that car with the production car that you can actually buy via the official social media feeds.

This is completely different to a tuning company doing the same ECU boost to a Production car and running a separate test and posting the result on a different website which is not owned or directly affiliated with the company.

mmgyfve.png
[\spoiler]

D3K

D3K

Soldato
LN2 is not something the everyday Joe Bloggs can do or want to do. It is a show of skill and competitiveness that only a few are privy to. I have watched Roman (Deb8uer) and Ian (8Pack) hard mod GPUs to push a GPU to the very edge and obtain world records. If anyone honestly thinks that they can obtain these clocks on air or water, or even close is being daft. The sell comes from people like EVGA/Asus/Gigabyte etc having world class overclockers gaining world records on their GPUs. It gets publicised that 8 Pack achieved a new world record on a Asus Strix for example and our mindset works along the lines of "Ohhh, that must be a stonking card then" and generally people think they are going to get a good clocker.

I was with Ian and Roman in Cambridge and had a great weekend and watching both at work is a genuine honour and I was happy to get an interview with the big man.

And in this one, you can see the power boards added to the Titan X Maxwells and that is just a small part of it.

I would urge anyone interested in advanced LN2 cooling to watch people like Ian, Roman, TopDog and our own Nickolp1974 at events and you can see that these GPU clocks and CPU clocks are not for mere mortals like us :D

Where do ads for events like these get posted?

Soldato
so the challenge from me is not about skill or wonder in terms of showing off the realm of the possible. The challenge from me is that the Kingpin screenshot was presented on the EVGA facebook feed to promote EVGA 1080ti cards. So, its all about context. From a consumer perspective there is a fine line between showing the realm of the possible and providing mis-information in order to boost sales of a product.

Where I am coming from is, there is little difference between what is being done here and someone like Lamborghini (just an example, they have not actually done this *cough*) running a juiced ECU on a production car at the 'ring and then also associating that car with the production car that you can actually buy via the official social media feeds.

This is completely different to a tuning company doing the same ECU boost to a Production car and running a separate test and posting the result on a different website which is not owned or directly affiliated with the company.

Yeah personally I don't agree that it is a problem. I get what you are saying but they are advertising that they are affiliated with one another so Kingpin gets supplied by EVGA and trusts them to give him what he needs to break records and EVGA believe he can sell their product by being one of the best at what he does.

Caporegime
That is the first time I have seen that and clicked on it without looking at who posted. I was listening to the interviewers voice and I was like, hold on, that sounds like Gregster... Then I look and turns out it is you. Very distinct voice :D
Yer, I have used my own vids to help me fall asleep on many occasions :D

Soldato
anyone with an ounce of knowledge in the area knows it's not advertised as you'll be able to achieve this on your own card.

"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Overclocked Beyond 3 GHz With LN2 Cooling – Tremendous OC Potential On Reference PCB"

That is the headline on WCCFtech. Like I say its a very fine line that is being trodden here. WCCFtech spill the beans later on in the article but I am just using this as an example of mis-information being listed about a product.

Caporegime
"NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition Overclocked Beyond 3 GHz With LN2 Cooling – Tremendous OC Potential On Reference PCB"

That is the headline on WCCFtech. Like I say its a very fine line that is being trodden here. WCCFtech spill the beans later on in the article but I am just using this as an example of mis-information being listed about a product.

That's WCCFtech not EVGA, so they can post what they like, it's not the company falsely advertising is it.

Soldato
hah well, thats entirely up for debate to be honest, whether the site is classed as click bait or is not material to my point. Many people use it, including myself so click bait or not it just re-enforces my view.

My point is that that this kind of manipulation of a products image through media has been rife in the car industry for many years. And they were all complicit (product makers, reviewers, press) in such image manipulation of a product until the line was crossed.

I think EVGA are getting as close to the line as possible without crossing it. All they really need to do (EVGA) is frame the result away from the Founders Edition and its all good but they have not done this.

Associate
hah well, thats entirely up for debate to be honest, whether the site is classed as click bait or is not material to my point. Many people use it, including myself so click bait or not it just re-enforces my view.

My point is that that this kind of manipulation of a products image through media has been rife in the car industry for many years. And they were all complicit (product makers, reviewers, press) in such image manipulation of a product until the line was crossed.

I think EVGA are getting as close to the line as possible without crossing it. All they really need to do (EVGA) is frame the result away from the Founders Edition and its all good but they have not done this.

Why do you blame EVGA for this, how is that their fault of what a website is posting? It is our responsibility to filter information these days and wccftech cannot be trusted with anything.

Soldato
What I really don't get is for anyone who actually understands what that means etc will know it also isn't a stock card.

Even the click bait of the WCCF states with LN2 cooling so unless people are suddenly then also expecting to understand how to do all the LN2 cooling without going well how come this card is different is rather silly in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom