• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

If its launched, longer they have been producing Titan chips, the more they will stock up on poor yield chips so they don't have an aweful repeat launch like the 70/80.
Would you rather wait extra 60 days and get one when you order or have your cash taken for 60 days waiting for news.
Think they have learnt lessons

I see no reason to waste more money this gen. My GTX1080 is not struggling, in fact it's more then enough for any game at 3440x1440p ultra wide. 1080Ti will be a over priced pointless card. I'll pass. I'll wait until I struggle before upgrading again. That could be awhile :D

Do you own Ashes of the singularity? this really taxes the 1080 and barley copes at UW.
Elite dangerous can also tax the system if everything turned up and larger textures used etc.

Personally i wanted a titan pascal but when i was after one there was no stock and with water block etc decided it was too much money.

I appreciate different games require different grunt whether it be cpu or gpu related, but i find i could use a little more gpu power than the 1080 offers :)

I was hoping a 1080ti would be released within a certain time frame so i can step up but not sure it will arrive in time now.

Game ready drivers before game release vs waiting 3 months for a driver update to make things work..no thanks.

Where have you been hiding the last 12 months ? Game Ready Driver updates have been more or less toe to toe with Nvidia and much more stable compared to the Green Team this year. In fact AMD have beaten Nvidia to it on a few occasions.
:p

And it's obvious with no high-end competition, Nvidia are in no rush to put out the Ti right now. They don't have to do they?

Two things that are going to happen here

1. They will announce the Ti just before the Vega card(s) are announced.
2. They will wait and release the Ti just after Vega

I personally think it will be number 1 as they did with the Fiji cards. It will depend on if Nvidia have been given the heads up on exactly what AMD/RTG have got waiting under the covers.
:)

Most people moan about the price in then uk in the converted sterling price... Indeed your post quoted the price your thought nvidia gpu's should sell for in sterling!!!!

Even in us $ your claims are still demonstrably not true. The current £/$ rate when 20% vat is included results in pretty much $/£ price parity. No mainstream new top performing NVidia gpu in the last ten years has been introduced at a price below $499 never mind Titans or other 'extreme GPU's

The 8800gtx over ten years ago was $600 (November 2016) with the ultra being $830+ (2007)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2222
https://www.cnet.com/uk/products/geforce-8800-gtx/review/

In 2016 prices that would be $720 / $967 respectively

So to expect a uk price of £500 or less in 2016 for a limited run 'Extreme' gpu like the txp is pure fantasy

Ah odd... must be my poor memory then... I bought 2 of the 8800 Ultra cards and seem to them being in the $600 / £450-500 bracket when I got them but I can't find my invoice from back then as I was using a different email account that's no longer active.

In that case, the TXP price doesn't seem as excessive as I thought it was.

That 1080ti better be able to do the magic 4k 60fps... or I'm still waiting for something that will. Otherwise, I'm willing to pay £700 for one. Unlikely that'll be the price considering that's how much 1080s go for these days... though knowing myself, I'd still probably wait for Vega to release before making the final decision (much like my last purchase back when R9 300 series released).

4k60... or go home Nvidia. Titan XP came inches close, so no excuses now.

That 1080ti better be able to do the magic 4k 60fps... or I'm still waiting for something that will. Otherwise, I'm willing to pay £700 for one. Unlikely that'll be the price considering that's how much 1080s go for these days... though knowing myself, I'd still probably wait for Vega to release before making the final decision (much like my last purchase back when R9 300 series released).

Definitely.. needs to be there or we must wait until the next generation. I'm sitting waiting to see what they come up with.

I was planning on buying a 1080Ti when they were released but now I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to wait until the next generation of GPUs comes out. I mean my 980Ti still seems to cope well with the games I play at 1440p so why the rush to upgrade? I don't think I've found a game that struggles on my 980Ti but then again most of the games I play are more CPU heavy than GPU heavy. I can stream Elder Scrolls Online with max graphics quite easily.

Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to a 4k monitor and if I do that I'll certainly need an upgrade then but I don't see that happening for a few years.

I was planning on buying a 1080Ti when they were released but now I'm starting to think it might be a better idea to wait until the next generation of GPUs comes out. I mean my 980Ti still seems to cope well with the games I play at 1440p so why the rush to upgrade? I don't think I've found a game that struggles on my 980Ti but then again most of the games I play are more CPU heavy than GPU heavy. I can stream Elder Scrolls Online with max graphics quite easily.

Maybe one of these days I'll upgrade to a 4k monitor and if I do that I'll certainly need an upgrade then but I don't see that happening for a few years.

Yeah I can't say I'm going to shift from 980ti to a 1080ti myself, might wait until 1180...then buy a 1080ti :p

Yeah I can't say I'm going to shift from 980ti to a 1080ti myself, might wait until 1180...then buy a 1080ti :p

Smart move, just make sure you can actually get one! I ordered a 980ti from here last September and it turns out they went out of stock so I didn't get one (had to cancel).

Well I'm on a 970 at the moment so in need of the upgrade (I've already purchased the 4k monitor)

Hopefully this will tick all the boxes and I can sit back for 18 months

Similar except it's a 1440p144Hz monitor here. Any card that will be able to do 4k60 will be able to make the most of my monitor, plus there's DSR and the fact that my next monitor will be 4k ...when 4k monitors get 120Hz+ and quality control is sorted. Not nice having to RMA just to get a proper working monitor.

A Titan can't do the magic 4K 60fps so what's you think a slower 1080ti will?

And the 11 series are just going to be refreshes. Best wait till 2018 ant the 12 series

And the 11 series are just going to be refreshes. Best wait till 2018 ant the 12 series

We need a repeat of the 700 and 290 series forcing nvidia to release a fully fledged GP102. A custom fully fledged gp102 will have a good go of 4k 60

Remember the 780ti? Faster than the Titan. Remember the 980ti? Just as fast as the original Titan X and some of the better models could beat Titan X overclock vs overclock. You need to get it out of your head that the Titan cards are supposed to be the best, because they simply haven't been that in the past.

And I will also say that this gen, the Titan XP doesn't improve over a 1080 all too much, the gap in performance isn't as large as it was with original Titan XP and 980 for example. Titan XP is only 20% better than a 1080, while original Titan X was closer to 30% better than a 980. Thus there's less room to fit a new release in between Titan XP and 1080, especially when you also consider the pricing too.

Nvidia are so close to that 4k60, to release a card weaker than Titan XP now would be a shame and also wouldn't make sense. The 1080 handles that performance/price-point well already.

Remember the 780ti? Faster than the Titan. Remember the 980ti? Just as fast as the original Titan X and some of the better models could beat Titan X overclock vs overclock. You need to get it out of your head that the Titan cards are supposed to be the best, because they simply haven't been that in the past.

And I will also say that this gen, the Titan XP doesn't improve over a 1080 all too much, the gap in performance isn't as large as it was with original Titan XP and 980 for example. Titan XP is only 20% better than a 1080, while original Titan X was closer to 30% better than a 980. Thus there's less room to fit a new release in between Titan XP and 1080, especially when you also consider the pricing too.

Nvidia are so close to that 4k60, to release a card weaker than Titan XP now would be a shame and also wouldn't make sense. The 1080 handles that performance/price-point well already.

780 Ti was equal to the Titan Black, the refreshed original Titan but not faster although it was faster than the original Titan before the refresh. I wouldn't be too surprised if that happens this time around but then again would someone pay say £950 for a Ti? That's still a lot of money, might as well get the TX for the extra memory?

980 Ti was still 8% slower than the TX Max with a lot less memory.
The thing about performance percentages is that it's not necessarily real world gaming, a 20% increase in performance can be all the difference I think, such as being smooth if it take a game from 55fps to above 60 on a 60hz monitor.

It's all very well trying to justify why things are expensive and "not worth it" and we all do it but in life you usually get what you pay for. If you want the best you have to pay for it and to many the price you pay isn't worth it in their eyes. However, everyone wants the best really and would stump up if they had the cash OR can justify it. We're all kind of biased by the depth of our own pockets OR what we're willing to spend ourselves and try to convince others of the same.

Most people if they had 500million in the bank probably wouldn't be living in a £100,000 flat for example, even if the flat is actually fit for purpose.
So, if people have the £ then **** it, buy what you can afford OR justify paying.

Last edited:

How are they going to magic this faster card? The 1080ti are just failed titan chips after all.

I agree 1080tis might have faster stock overclocks than the 1080s and Titans but unless Nvidia removes that voltage limit, the 1080ti is aonly goign to overclock to 2100 just like the Titan does,

So agin, where is this 10% to 20% extra performance going to magic itself from to make the 1080ti a 4k 60fps card?

Back
Top Bottom