• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

**Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Thread**

Associate
Gamers are fickle, if Nvidia thinks it can position itself as an "Apple hardware-like vendor for gamers" they are in for a serious lesson.

Gamers want and will pay for the best BUT if you take them for a ride they will revolt hard against you. Nvidia's challenge is knowing how to a price a 1080Ti against an unknown Vega. Nvidia are not in a race to the bottom game though I predict a stable (past rip off release prices) of a £750 price point for this reason. My logic is simple... its £200 above the lowest 1080 but it has to hedge its bets against Vega, Nvidia themselves might price higher knowing that AIB sales/partners can under cut the over valued price point. So we will see some stupid price to start but it stabilize to £750. Then Nvidias only concern is Vega 10 performing like for like @ £550 or less. If AMD came in with Vega 10 at near 1080Ti performance or better @ £350 omg that would distrupt the industry BUT I do not believe that will happen cos AMD has shareholders and they want $$$ plus HBM2 isn't cheap

Caporegime
Would a 480 for me as a stop gap card be poo for my x34

I've just sold my 1080 :o

Yes. As someone who has gone the opposite way (1080 and an LG 38UC99 then to a Fury) then def get a card that supports that particular adaptive sync technology. The Fury for instance, although less powerful provides me with a better all-round experience :)

Maybe try to pickup a 1060/980 and live with Medium settings for a while? Knowing what I know now I'd personally do that.

Caporegime
Yes. As someone who has gone the opposite way (1080 and an LG 38UC99 then to a Fury) then def get a card that supports that particular adaptive sync technology. The Fury for instance, although less powerful provides me with a better all-round experience :)

Maybe try to pickup a 1060/980 and live with Medium settings for a while? Knowing what I know now I'd personally do that.

I think I'll pick up a 6GB GTX 1060 and overclock the nuts of it....

Cheers

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Lol. So easy sold his card a few days after giving me a lecture about selling mine too early. He even suggested I should have sold my 290 and kept the 1070, now he goes and sells his 1080 and is buying a 1060. Easy being easy I suppose :p

Associate
appologies, 1080 ocd to 2086 core, small oc on the gpu ram as well.

No wonder you get a good 60fps lol. A 1080 is miles ahead of a 970. Granted, I've been a bit harsh and I do often get 60+fps. Just that at times it goes below 60 and stays there a while.

Probably to counter the 480's improvement with drivers. Shame they can't do the same and resort to a hardware switch ;)

So does Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta need drivers from AMD for proper GPU utilisation then? Cos even a 960 does better in that game right now compared to a 480 (only 20-60% GPU utilisation on 480).

By the looks of things GPU (and PC hardware) prices are going up regardless (for us in the UK anyway), whether we like it or not.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
He even trust messaged me to let me know he'd sold it :D The age old trick of putting it on the MM at too high a value then closing the thread saying it sold elsewhere :D only place that sold for £500 is eBay so you won't be banking the full £500.

Lol.

Well maybe he did what did, stick it on eBay, get leads, sell it in private, win :D

Associate
So does Ghost Recon Wildlands Beta need drivers from AMD for proper GPU utilisation then? Cos even a 960 does better in that game right now compared to a 480 (only 20-60% GPU utilisation on 480).

Yup that game runs like crap on my RX 480 at 1080p where's on my 980ti it runs ok at 3440x1440.
Come on AMD.

Soldato
Yup def sell them 1080's now, the value is about to plummet..

There is absolutely no point in selling now. If the 1080ti performance is very little gain or the price is close to Titan then the 1080 second hand price will be strong.

It's so close to 1080ti price/spec being known that it's prudent to wait, because for all we know the 1080 will be worth holding on to.

Caporegime
Lol. So easy sold his card a few days after giving me a lecture about selling mine too early. He even suggested I should have sold my 290 and kept the 1070, now he goes and sells his 1080 and is buying a 1060. Easy being easy I suppose :p

The 1070 and 1080 are two different beasts...Keeping a 1070- this would lose less than a 1080 would...

He even trust messaged me to let me know he'd sold it :D The age old trick of putting it on the MM at too high a value then closing the thread saying it sold elsewhere :D only place that sold for £500 is eBay so you won't be banking the full £500.

Why would I do that? And what purpose...?

Lol.

Well maybe he did what did, stick it on eBay, get leads, sell it in private, win :D

No sold it on another forum.

Given how much he's stalked others on the subject, he really should be posting what he got minus fees. ;)

Didn't sell it on ebay...Can't be bothered with that...

After the sale of my HDD in MM and the 1080 I've got £534.50 sitting in my hardware account. I might get a 1060 6GB to tide me over and see what happens with vega etc...

:)

Back
Top Bottom