• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti to be "available" on June 3rd, RTX 3070Ti on June 10th

Associate
Pretty much this, I've never seen such a pointless card before, if it was 850 I could understand it better but 400 quid for that amount of increase.. I think they only way NV are getting away with it is because of current supply issues if this card was released and the market was normal it would have been laughed at.

As for the older card quote above you still would have just got a 3080 which is better than anything that is previous gen and half the price and if you wanted the best you'd stump up for the 3090 no matter how ridiculous it is.
Most definitely agree! The last two gens have been pathetic launches.. Turing was a rip off and ampere is impossible to get.. Heck even the 1080 Ti bumped up the price though was and still is a great card so can be forgiven.. I miss the days of £550 for a 780 Ti/980 Ti whilst beating the £999 titan of It's time! :(

Soldato
Pretty much this, I've never seen such a pointless card before, if it was 850 I could understand it better but 400 quid for that amount of increase.. I think they only way NV are getting away with it is because of current supply issues if this card was released and the market was normal it would have been laughed at.

As for the older card quote above you still would have just got a 3080 which is better than anything that is previous gen and half the price and if you wanted the best you'd stump up for the 3090 no matter how ridiculous it is.

3080 is already vram limited in certain titles , resolutions and game settings

Associate

Couldn't get a 3080 though, sold out almost immediately and so the only option was paying 2.5k for one on eBay which I refuse to do. I'm not being part of this problem on either side of it, I'm not buying one for inflated prices and I'm not selling my old GPU for an infalted price either. It does bother me a bit that a lot of people who already had 3080s have taken up some of the 3080ti stock and will now sell their 3080's at inflates prices, imo they are just fuelling this whole madness as well as stopping genuine people in need of an upgrade being able to buy one. It's very easy to just blame scalpers but there are a lot of average Joe's who are actually creating/fuelling the exact thing they have been complaining about.

Yes I know, blah blah free country and all that but does no one have any morals any more?! A 3080ti would have meant a massive increase bin performance for me but a tiny increase to someone who already had a 3080, so small gain for them but massive loss to me if they get a 3080ti and I can't.

Last edited:
Associate
I saw a 3090 with AIO cooler on eBay yesterday and spoke to the seller, he had the starting bid at £1600 and he was a physical computer shop in the UK with the very same GPU listed on his shops website for £2295 so I offered him 2k because the AIO aspect of it is worth the extra money for me but he very openly just declined because he said the price would sky rocket on eBay. Everyone has become so greedy lately, he had his use out of that GPU and I was already offering him more than what he paid for it but apparently it just wasn't enough. It seems the gamer community is all of a sudden about every man for himself.

Soldato
£400 extra for 5 FPS Boost in 4K Games ! LMAO No thank you

It may make no sense for those who already have a 3080 but, for those who are still looking for an Ampere card, the TiFE at £1049 isn't actually that bad a deal if you can grab one.

Yes the 3080 is still far far better value than either the Ti or 3090 at 'normal' prices but prices but you can't get them at normal prices so it's moot.

Associate
It may make no sense for those who already have a 3080 but, for those who are still looking for an Ampere card, the TiFE at £1049 isn't actually that bad a deal if you can grab one.

Yes the 3080 is still far far better value than either the Ti or 3090 at 'normal' prices but prices but you can't get them at normal prices so it's moot.
Exactly.

Associate
I was in two minds whether to keep or cancel my 3080ti FE order from yesterday.

However, I'm quite pleased with the purchase now, mainly due to how the current market is and also wanting every last bit of performance to maximise VR experience.

I will be selling my 2080ti - which I got at a good price a couple of years ago - should almost break even on it with effectively minimal outlay for the 3080ti.

Associate
3080 is already vram limited in certain titles , resolutions and game settings
People keep saying that... care to name any such game? Genuinely curious, as such games must be limited to a tiny fraction of gamers with MORE than 10GB vram.

I have friend who is into Flight Sims and I know that all the add-ons on those can push vram use really high, but outside that...?

The thing people forget too.... game devs need to cater to the majority of gamers, which dont have more than even 8GB of VRAM.

So its not like the 3080 is going to be useless in a a years time. Just maybe need to turn down the odd detail setting here or there. Which is normal as a card ages...

And with how good games look now, even turning off a few things to keep it running well wont be noticeable to most people.

Just look at the Ray tracing debate... how many people claim to see the difference vs. those that dont?

Associate
Mm exactly what I saw, refreshed nvidia's site many times of course, No "Add to cart" or buy button appeared at all. Even tried other browsers in case there was a glitch. Then the price went from £1049 (linked from NVidia to another UK company who shall remain nameless) and suddenly said £1379 or similar on that UK site, then the price went down to £1049 again (up and down several times in about 5 minutes ;) ). I couldn't see any buy buttons on OC either or anywhere else.
Nvidia's site said coming soon, then the 3080 Ti's vanished from the site completely then came back (repeated a few times) then finally pointed UK users to the unamed UK site, then Nvidia said Out of Stock. No Add to basket buttons in any website seen at all.
Very dodgy, indeed what a shambles for a so called "launch" again from Nvidia.

Exactly the same experience for me. I Was refreshing for approximately 45 mins and at no point saw no add to card button on the Vendors FE Page nor the AIB listings. Never mind, I was planning to go AMD again this time around but thought I would give it a go, just in case. Not that I can get a 6800XT at MRRP.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
People keep saying that... care to name any such game? Genuinely curious, as such games must be limited to a tiny fraction of gamers with MORE than 10GB vram.

I have friend who is into Flight Sims and I know that all the add-ons on those can push vram use really high, but outside that...?

The thing people forget too.... game devs need to cater to the majority of gamers, which dont have more than even 8GB of VRAM.

So its not like the 3080 is going to be useless in a a years time. Just maybe need to turn down the odd detail setting here or there. Which is normal as a card ages...

And with how good games look now, even turning off a few things to keep it running well wont be noticeable to most people.

Just look at the Ray tracing debate... how many people claim to see the difference vs. those that dont?
All good points except for one. There is definitely a big difference between rasterised lighting and ray tracing. Whether you see it depends on a few things.
Whether you know what you are looking for
Whether the game developer has implemented it well
Whether the scene is conducive to being able to see it

Cyberpunk is a great example of all of these. Sunny, day time, in the desert, even a game developer is going to struggle to point out noticeable ray tracing effects.
Rainy, night time, city scenes, you'd have to be blind not to notice them. :eek:

They were noticeable in CoDMW, but only really during the night time city scenes, which should have made anybody realise how poor the fire/shadow effects that they've been living with pre-RT actually are. That said, fast moving FPS/Driving games with RT strike me as pointless most of the time, because unless you are stopping to admire the scenery or show off to a friend, you really shouldn't care if the shadows and reflections are realistic. :cry:

From the arguments that I've seen from people who want to try to prove that RT is pointless it's obvious that there's a common misconception about the technology. It's not about light sources! I've seen countless side by side screen shots of raised light sources with very little differences...like we haven't had bloom as a rasterising feature for about a decade... :rolleyes:
the whole point about RT isn't where the light rays start it's all about where they end and how they got there. Don't look up, look down :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato

The ones ive read about - Monster Hunter world @4k max settings with hi res texture pack, GTAV and Wolfenstein: Youngblood (again both @4k with all settings maxed) ; whereas wow @ 8k on slider set to 10 doesnt break 9gb of ram

Man of Honour
All good points except for one. There is definitely a big difference between rasterised lighting and ray tracing. Whether you see it depends on a few things.
Whether you know what you are looking for
Whether the game developer has implemented it well
Whether the scene is conducive to being able to see it

Cyberpunk is a great example of all of these. Sunny, day time, in the desert, even a game developer is going to struggle to point out noticeable ray tracing effects.
Rainy, night time, city scenes, you'd have to be blind not to notice them. :eek:

They were noticeable in CoDMW, but only really during the night time city scenes, which should have made anybody realise how poor the fire/shadow effects that they've been living with pre-RT actually are. That said, fast moving FPS/Driving games with RT strike me as pointless most of the time, because unless you are stopping to admire the scenery or show off to a friend, you really shouldn't care if the shadows and reflections are realistic. :cry:

From the arguments that I've seen from people who want to try to prove that RT is pointless it's obvious that there's a common misconception about the technology. It's not about light sources! I've seen countless side by side screen shots of raised light sources with very little differences...like we haven't had bloom as a rasterising feature for about a decade... :rolleyes:
the whole point about RT isn't where the light rays start it's all about where they end and how they got there. Don't look up, look down :cool:

I play games for the quality of the gameplay.

I am not really that interested in if reflections etc are realistic.

If Ray Tracing added about £10 to the cost of a GPU it would be a reasonable price but ATM we get very little for the hundreds of pounds extra it costs.

The whole GPU market has gone crazy with very little real improvement in performance over the last few years cost massive amounts of money.

What are AMD and NVidia doing?, a top of the range GPU (not counting Titans or similar) should be available for less than £500 and some people would say that is too much.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
I play games for the quality of the gameplay.

I am not really that interested in if reflections etc are realistic.

If Ray Tracing added about £10 to the cost of a GPU it would be a reasonable price but ATM we get very little for the hundreds of pounds extra it costs.
That's an entirely different argument to the effectiveness of the technology

The whole GPU market has gone crazy with very little real improvement in performance over the last few years cost massive amounts of money.
This is why the technologies are needed, there's only so much performance that can be gained from process and architecture improvements. As someone who's been around for a while you'll recognise that, over the years there's been a power push, followed by an efficiency push and now we are back to a power push. But we are hitting a wall, 5% more performance for 30% more power requirements and the beefier, more expensive hardware needed to reign it in. Technology improvements are the only realistic way to push gaming performance forwards at a reasonable level. The exact same argument can be made for CPUs as we've been creeping forwards so slowly for years now.

Realistically, we've been nearing the limit of silicon FET technology for a while and this is just one of the side effects. When I was in university about 20 years ago my VLSI lecturer was already talking about us struggling to eek out more performance from the same technology.

What are AMD and NVidia doing?, a top of the range GPU (not counting Titans or similar) should be available for less than £500 and some people would say that is too much.
Neither of us know what sort of cost goes in to developing and producing these cards now vs five years ago. It's obvious on the surface that they are bigger now, they have much more cooling requirements now, they have more power phases now and hence more components are needed now. There's more memory chips now, the PCBs are more complex now and that's before you get to the physically larger GPU with four times the transistors vs just two generations ago. We'd have to be incredibly naive to believe that all of this can be delivered at a similar sort of price point, especially when global inflation over that time is about 12% too.

It's with all these factors in mind, that I get incredibly frustrated by the argument that "the GTX 1080 cost £600 so the RTX 3080 should to!"

Last edited:

HRL

HRL

Soldato
It seems the gamer community is all of a sudden about every man for himself.

Sadly it’s the way society has changed lately, not just gamers.

Look at all those people on the news complaining that they’ve had to cancel their holidays this week, the same people that have been advised not to travel abroad for the past 12 months, but they’re entitled to their foreign travel even when medical science and government advice says the opposite.

Far too much me, me, me these days.

Unless you’re desperate for a GPU because you don’t have one, the only sane thing to do is sit it out.

OcUK Systems
OcUK Staff
Sadly it’s the way society has changed lately, not just gamers.

Look at all those people on the news complaining that they’ve had to cancel their holidays this week, the same people that have been advised not to travel abroad for the past 12 months, but they’re entitled to their foreign travel even when medical science and government advice says the opposite.

Far too much me, me, me these days.

Unless you’re desperate for a GPU because you don’t have one, the only sane thing to do is sit it out.
It's only been in the last couple of years where I've heard numerous representatives from numerous gaming companies referring to the widespread toxicity of their customer base and how it's affecting their decisions. What used to be a bit of "game rage" has flooded out into social media interactions, and then into their every day interactions. Digital existence and the "anonymity buffer" that it provides is rapidly becoming the new base-line for human interaction and as such there's less willingness for people to interact in a reasonable manner. It's safe to say that the vast majority of us now go into every social situation with our guard up as the default.

These days "nice guys finish last" has been taken to the extreme but, speaking personally, I think that's now being flipped on its head. So many people are being entitled ar***oles to each other than when someone talks to you in a polite way you are much more likely to stop and give them as much time and attention as they need. We're all human and at times it's hard to care about the kn***ead who is screaming into your ear.

Soldato
It's only been in the last couple of years where I've heard numerous representatives from numerous gaming companies referring to the widespread toxicity of their customer base and how it's affecting their decisions. What used to be a bit of "game rage" has flooded out into social media interactions, and then into their every day interactions. Digital existence and the "anonymity buffer" that it provides is rapidly becoming the new base-line for human interaction and as such there's less willingness for people to interact in a reasonable manner.

These days "nice guys finish last" has been taken to the extreme but, speaking personally, I think that's now being flipped on its head. So many people are being entitled ar***oles to each other than when someone talks to you in a polite way you are much more likely to stop and give them as much time and attention as they need. We're all human and at times it's hard to care about the kn***ead who is screaming into your ear.

Try working retail for the last year - we have to wear body worn cameras now as the level of abuse has reached sky high proportions.

Back
Top Bottom