• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Does anyone know if G1 is flashable? With Maxwell Bios Editor you can modify fan control, but I don't know if the resulting BIOS file could be flashed to the G1.

The voltage confuses me slightly

If I set the top 3 sliders all to max I get a reported 1.275v in GPUz but the card actually pulls 1.325v with a multi meter.

This works fine in Heaven and gaming but when you load 3dMark the boost clock fluctuates wildly, dropping 100mhz at times. Constant up and down.

If I slide the minimum voltage sliders back to default and +100 on afterburner I get 1.256v on GPUz and 1.3v on the multimeter. Card doesn't have random boost down clocks in 3dmark firestrike but GPUz reports that its limited by voltage..

So confusing

On the bright side, I now have a MSI card that boosts to the Gigabyte clocks and has the Gigabyte power limit with a 8000 memory stock clock.

Will I be losing much by getting the Asus Strix over the MSI? I know the former only has one 8-pin PCI-E power connector but does it really make much of a difference overclocking wise? AFAIK, these cards don't really allow for significant overvolting anyways. I don't care if I'm going to squeeze 25-50mhz less from the Asus because I only care about real world performance gains (if there's likely to be a 100+mhz gap between the two, then I might reconsider).

Is the Asus less likely to whine? I've also heard the RPM of the fans is capped at 43% and that it can cause throttling.

TBH, what worries me the most is the supposedly horrible RMA;/ I hope it's not as bad as people say.

The Asus Strix is overclocked with Zero default fan speed :eek::eek:
you dont need to turn the fan speed up, its limit is 65 to 68 degrees regardless of fan speed, it will not get any hotter than this, maybe because its voltage is semi-locked...... because this card will only crash if you do one thing to it, try turning the voltage up :eek: mine crashes every damn time, so its voltage has to stay on +0.

no it wont be as quick as the MSI, but it's quieter, more stable and because it isn't overclocked so far, has zero coil whine, this is totally the opposite of the AMD 7990 :D:D

it's.....120% power limit......core clock +100......mem +226

but it will go higher than this, mine is backed off from about + 200......+ 360
but this is fine for me because all i'll do to increase performance is buy SLI

the difference between the two is about 6FPS on 1080p

The Asus Strix is overclocked with Zero default fan s
no it wont be as quick as the MSI, but it's quieter, more stable and because it isn't overclocked so far, has zero coil whine, this is totally the opposite of the AMD 7990 :D:D

Strix is not quieter than MSI.
MSI also is much cooler.
I have both of them ;)
Regarding coil whine - it doesn't matter it is MSI , Asus or Gigabyte - each of them can suffer coil whine ;)

My new MSI 980 Gaming has a little bit of coil whine but nothing that is worth complaining about. Could hear it a little with the side of my case open but its inaudible with it shut (unless it is rendering something with mental high frames, then it squeels a bit like all cards do). Can't say it is the best coil whine i have had on a card but probably isnt the worst.

received my 970 asus strix yesterday, all i can say is wow. i upgraded from a 7970 it was like having a vacuum cleaner on when i ran games at max. the 970 just laughs at games and makes hardly any noise at all. it is the best graphics card i have ever used i cant believe how far they have come and become so efficient and quiet.

Custom BIOS for my palit cards

- SLI voltage problem fixed

- Stock RAM clock at 8Ghz

- Boost disabled

- TDP raised so never bump into power restrictions

They FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY............. :D

Strix is not quieter than MSI.
MSI also is much cooler.
I have both of them ;)
Regarding coil whine - it doesn't matter it is MSI , Asus or Gigabyte - each of them can suffer coil whine ;)

Yep, I've heard coil whine is not exclusive to any brand but people say the Asus is a bit less likely to suffer it (though that may be down to the MSI card being a lot more prevalent on the market).

A lot cooler? Really? There shouldn't be more than 2-3 degrees of difference between them...

What about overclocking? Is the Asus any good? Since you have both and know their pros and cons, which one would you recommend? The 6fps difference Mal X mentioned seems quite a lot.

how did you fix the sli voltage problem?

In the BIOS editor there's a voltage table, the table has a minimum and maximum voltage limits.

Change the values so they both match and set the entries to the max.

So start at the bottom of the voltage table and set the min and max voltage at 1.25v or 1.3v... etc etc..

And work your way backwards setting the min and max voltage to what you want and stop when you get to entry number 55.

Also the voltage at the very bottom and the 3 top entries need settings to match too.

That forces the cards to use the same voltage and also makes things more stable.

So I have the first 3 set at 1.3

The very bottom at 1.3v

And the voltage lists set at 1.3v

That equates to 1.275v under load.

received my 970 asus strix yesterday, all i can say is wow. i upgraded from a 7970 it was like having a vacuum cleaner on when i ran games at max. the 970 just laughs at games and makes hardly any noise at all. it is the best graphics card i have ever used i cant believe how far they have come and become so efficient and quiet.

This is pretty much exactly how everyone feels and why the 970's and 980's are selling like hot cakes! It's all about efficiency, people said they weren't interested in it but clearly they are because it equates to less noise and heat, not just less power draw (which is the bit many people claim they don't care about).

P.S your signature is terrifying

Back
Top Bottom