• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Can anyone give me a basic idea how to clock my 970, have afterburner.
GPU-Z says gpu clock 1178 memory 1753 boost 1329

Do I just add to the core clock (mhz) ?

Never done a Gpu before :?

Given in and ordered a MSI 970 Gaming Edition.:)

I so wanted to do the whole x99 5820 and dual cards all in one go, but certain things have happened recently to curtail funds somewhat, so a nice hopefully high clocking 970 will have to do for now.
Hopefully not held back by my i7 920@4GHz.

Last edited:
I've a question for owners of the Gigabyte 970; how is the fan noise at idle? I read that the fan rpm is too high at low temps, and silence is pretty important to me.

Last edited:
Given in and ordered a MSI 670 Gaming Edition.:)

I so wanted to do the whole x99 5820 and dual cards all in one go, but certain things have happened recently to curtail funds somewhat, so a nice hopefully high clocking 670 will have to do for now.
Hopefully not held back by my i7 920@4GHz.
Hope you mean 970 :p:D;)

Can anyone give me a basic idea how to clock my 970, have afterburner.
GPU-Z says gpu clock 1178 memory 1753 boost 1329

Do I just add to the core clock (mhz) ?

Never done a Gpu before :?

Increase core clock only try +100 first then test it to be stable then increase it slowly either +25 or +50 until it artifacts/crashed then knock it down a bit till its stable.
Or you can be daring and stick +200 in and see if its stable, if not bring it down a little.
Then try the memory until you find it stable on stock voltage.
Then its upto you whether you add more mv to try for a higher clock.

Fixed my crashing problems! Turned out the CPU heatsink wasn't very tight. Like not even finger tight! :eek: (Alpenfohn2 so a big chunk of metal)

No more crashing though!

vpwm1X7.jpg

So yeah, quite impressed with that :D

High PhysX on BL2 killed it though! :o

I've a question for owners of the Gigabyte 970; how is the fan noise at idle? I read that the fan rpm is too high at low temps, and silence is pretty important to me.

Out of the box I think the fans were set to 1100rpm(at work so can't check for you) which I thought was high but even under load I find it nice and quiet.

Three of these puppies are enroute to me - hopefully they'll arrive Tuesday or Wednesday.
First thing I gonna do when they are installed is to overclock the core from 1051Mhz stock to 1152MHz on all three - then I get Phantom clock speeds on radial blower cards :D
Gainward-GTX-970.jpg

Increase core clock only try +100 first then test it to be stable then increase it slowly either +25 or +50 until it artifacts/crashed then knock it down a bit till its stable.
Or you can be daring and stick +200 in and see if its stable, if not bring it down a little.
Then try the memory until you find it stable on stock voltage.
Then its upto you whether you add more mv to try for a higher clock.

thank you :)

Looking at a pair of Zotac standard 970s which use the same PCB as the 670 and as such will stick them underwater.

Not to mention I love diddy PCBs.

Same pcb as reference 670's? I had wf 670's that used the 680 pcb. Though the 780's I have are standard pcb but the wf cooler slapped on. 970 sli is the sweetspot for price/performance. I could sell up and go this route myself.

Out of the box I think the fans were set to 1100rpm(at work so can't check for you) which I thought was high but even under load I find it nice and quiet.

Hm, thanks. My Windforce 670 idles at ~800 rpm, which is definitely silent. When I set my card to 1100 rpm it becomes audible, which is annoying.. damn! Was really looking forward to the Gigabyte 970..

Hm, thanks. My Windforce 670 idles at ~800 rpm, which is definitely silent. When I set my card to 1100 rpm it becomes audible, which is annoying.. damn! Was really looking forward to the Gigabyte 970..

I had a 770 windforce which also idled ~800 and I haven't noticed that this is any louder, maybe it's just me idk.

Back
Top Bottom