• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Caporegime
OP
Xraycat, I've settled on very similar clocks to you at the moment - 1460core and +200 on the mem but that's without touching the voltage. If I can get to 1500core for 24/7 with a little fiddling then I'll be more than happy :cool:

You checked what it's boosting to? 1460 boost on the 1st tab of GPU-Z isn't what it actually boosts to. Should boost to around 1560mhz in a game or benchmark.

Yeah it froze half way though with 2000mhz @ +20mV plus artifacts gah

Try +87mv, if it works lower it till it crashes then raise it to the voltage that worked. Or just leave it at +87 like I do lol.

Permabanned
You checked what it's boosting to? 1460 boost on the 1st tab of GPU-Z isn't what it actually boosts to. Should boost to around 1560mhz in a game or benchmark.

Try +87mv, if it works lower it till it crashes then raise it to the voltage that worked. Or just leave it at +87 like I do lol.

Won't that require a lot of power or be bad longterm?

Caporegime

Yeah, it's always difficult to know what it's exactly boosting to. I'll try evga's precision tomorrow, from memory that tells you exactly

Associate
Got my cards today :D

Here is a quick size comparison shot for reference.

From left to right the cards are : Asus GTX 680 Ref / Asus GTX 680 Direct CUII /Dual EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 1.0

uLeRxPC.jpg

Associate
Had a good play with my MSI 970 today. Was number 110 on DPD's delivery list! Kind of annoying seeing the van on the tracker only a couple of roads away from but it telling me I had another 7 hours to wait!

Anways max stable clock seems to be 1525 core and 8000 memory. Upping the voltage only gets me to 1550 core so I have put it back to stock voltage.

Tried BF4 and it was doing 45-60fps @ 1600p ultra. Tried watchdogs also and it was doing around 40fps maxed out @ 1600p with no stutter. I'm pretty impressed but now I want another for SLI! :)

Caporegime
OP
Won't that require a lot of power or be bad longterm?

No, +87mv is nothing and will hardly shorten the cards lifespan at all. It's only when you start messing with custom bios and voltages you need to be careful, these cards don't even get that hot when overclocked. Does anyone know if the VRM's have decent cooling?

Permabanned
Getting my 970 this weekend but not sure which one to get as I'l be water cooling when the blocks are out.

Any ideas which card will be the safest option for me to buy in terms of full cover block compatibility?

Soldato
Well I installed my pair earlier and I'm really impressed! Ran Heaven for 30mins to test stability/temps and the top card gets to a max of 68c and the bottom one 62c :cool:

This is in a Fractal Define R4 too which is very well insulated, you can't imagine the awesome silence to boot!! :D

Very very happy, a seriously powerful and silent system :cool:
Thinking I should have ordered non-reference cards now if they run that cool :p
Oh well.

Soldato
Well I installed my pair earlier and I'm really impressed! Ran Heaven for 30mins to test stability/temps and the top card gets to a max of 68c and the bottom one 62c :cool:

This is in a Fractal Define R4 too which is very well insulated, you can't imagine the awesome silence to boot!! :D

Very very happy, a seriously powerful and silent system :cool:

Nice one Jedi! I was wondering whether I should have gone with the ref models but went for the MSIs. My pair should arrive sometime today. Cannay wait :)

Associate
Ok my dual EVGA SC 970's at their stock settings, using Nvidia Beta 344.16

Think I can go better will get back to you once I have a good tinker !

Firestrike 12607 (1165 / 1753)
Skydiver 28074

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys is there much difference between the MSI and EVGA SC?

EVGA is £7 more than the MSI and is currently out of stock but from what I guess, has warranty with the card - not the person, good RMA service and you can water cool it without messing up the warranty?

MSI seems to be getting good clocks though, i've seen a few at 1400 boost?

Also OcUK only have the ACX1 not ACX2?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom