• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Thanks for the advice regarding the Gigabyte.

But there's still the problem that it apparently isn't available yet, it still says "preorder" despite the ETA being today!

(And I do hope it gets added to the System Configurators for complete builds.)

Associate
Thanks for the advice regarding the Gigabyte.

But there's still the problem that it apparently isn't available yet, it still says "preorder" despite the ETA being today!

(And I do hope it gets added to the System Configurators for complete builds.)

Build the system yourself and save a bit of dosh? We can all help you step by step, it's really no more complicated than putting a lego model together lol - actually a lot less parts than a lego model hehe ;)

Soldato
No idea, over at OCN people are complaining about the coil whine and cheapness of the VRMs+controller.

Pretty poor show from EVGA IMO.

Takes a long time to get good reputation but it can be destroyed overnight.

I would certainly think twice now, before buying an EVGA product.

The shoddy cooler is bad enough, but the cheap components on premium parts is unforgivable.
It's not like they're a recognised cheaper brand like Palit where I might expect this.

Caporegime
so gigabyte or msi ?

im guessing most have msi and preorder for gigabyte will lead to a bit of a biased result.

the cooling looks a lot better on the gigabyte.

Caporegime
OP
I wouldn't say the cooling is a lot better on the Giga, the two large fans on the MSI work wonders. Even at 1600mhz core I've yet to see it break 70c after long periods of gaming. It's also likely to be quieter with less and bigger fans. You can't go wrong with either though and the back plate is a nice edition on the Giga but didn't interest me.

Associate
I wouldn't say the cooling is a lot better on the Giga, the two large fans on the MSI work wonders. Even at 1600mhz core I've yet to see it break 70c after long periods of gaming. It's also likely to be quieter with less and bigger fans. You can't go wrong with either though and the back plate is a nice edition on the Giga but didn't interest me.

so gigabyte or msi ?

im guessing most have msi and preorder for gigabyte will lead to a bit of a biased result.

the cooling looks a lot better on the gigabyte.

My max temp in an ok case was 66c full lad over clocked. Personally that temp is crazy.

Check the base and boost speeds, think the Giga is higher too.

I have the Gigabyte and it is fantastic in so many ways:

1. Looks stunning with all metal frame and beautiful backplate, will fit into any colour scheme if you are bothered about that
2. WINDFORCE logo lights up blue LED and can be customised to flash or turned off :cool:
3. Very, very solid build quality
4. Silent at stock fan speed, and just a faint whoosh at 100% fan speed
5. I have mine running 24/7 at 1500 core 8000 mem at stock volts
6. Temp in Firestrike when overclocked only hits 60-62, in BF4 its like 55 max :eek: (i'm coming from a 290 which was a warm beast)
7. Higher base clock if you are not overclocking
8. Runs cool and efficient so wont dump as much heat, reducing your other components heat (same for all 970's I guess)

I am sure the MSI is just as good in it's own ways, and I have heard they might be able to get to 6000+ core (I have only got the gigabyte to 1570 without driver crashing, but perhaps that is another variable in my rig)

Last edited:
Soldato
2. WINDFORCE logo lights up blue LED and can be customised to flash or turned off :cool:

The MSI lights up too :D

IMG_1333.jpg

Soldato
Been inspecting my Galaxy 790 blowers and damn they look sweet, one thing I noticed though is that these cards have memory chips on the back (so running passively), I guess this is true for any 970 without a backplate. Will have to decide if I want to fit a backplate or just some ram sinks as I don't want the un-cooled chips holding back the cooled ones when I crank the speed up :)

Back
Top Bottom