• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Guys what's you take on DSR? Are any of you using it at 1440p and is it any good?

I'm using it with 2x 970s. I'm at 1080p and upscaling to 4k.
It removes more jaggies than 8x msaa and I can hit 60fps at max settings in a lot of games without ant AA.
Its the best feature of these cards only seconded by adaptive vsync

Soldato
Idiot question time. Installing my new msi 970 now, my first upgrade in 7 years.

Am I right in thinking that the card wants the 6 pin PCI cable plugging into it as well as the 8 pin via the 6 pin to 8 pin PCI adapter supplied with the card? I'm pretty sure I'm right only I've got a niggling doubt so I need someone to tell me I'm right.

Also if that is the case does it need to be via two separate cables from the psu or am I fine using one cable that has the two 6 pins piggy backing off each other?

Associate
Did a bold overclock with my MSI 970 and run heaven again.

GPU: 1600Mhz
Mem: 4105Mhz (2052)
Fan Speed: 75%
Max Temp: 63c (In a mini ITX case)
Voltage: Stock (Max 1.2180)

I have a good clocker so I will try and fine tune the final overclock then start pushing volts to see how far this thing can go.

8juNZDB.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Increasing voltage in afterburner really don't seem to affect the overclock on these cards, think we'll need custom bios. My max clock speed doesn't change between using +20mv and +87mv.

Soldato
Idiot question time. Installing my new msi 970 now, my first upgrade in 7 years.

Am I right in thinking that the card wants the 6 pin PCI cable plugging into it as well as the 8 pin via the 6 pin to 8 pin PCI adapter supplied with the card? I'm pretty sure I'm right only I've got a niggling doubt so I need someone to tell me I'm right.

Also if that is the case does it need to be via two separate cables from the psu or am I fine using one cable that has the two 6 pins piggy backing off each other?

Doesn't your psu have a 6pin and an 8pin cable?

Soldato
It does (super flower), however the shapes of the individual plugs don't seem to tie in with those on the card, it'll still plug in, but the shape difference led me to think that wasnt right....

That is on one line from the psu it's got 2 x 6 plugs each with an additional double that can piggy back on to make them an 8

Soldato
I have a SF psu and the cables fit fine, plug one 6 pin into the card and use the other 6+2 pin cable into the 8pin connection, they will fit, just make sure the clips on the cables are the same side as the connection. :)

Soldato
It does (super flower), however the shapes of the individual plugs don't seem to tie in with those on the card, it'll still plug in, but the shape difference led me to think that wasnt right....

That is on one line from the psu it's got 2 x 6 plugs each with an additional double that can piggy back on to make them an 8

Ive just got a superflower too, and I just went with that "double" cable for the 970 and so far no issue at all (although admittedly gpu is just running at stock currently)

edit - and my 970 only has 2* 6pin connectors (which I assumed was standard) so both 2 pin extenders are spare on the psu cable (and mine fit perfectly too)

Last edited:
Soldato
Guys is there much difference between the MSI and EVGA SC?

EVGA is £7 more than the MSI and is currently out of stock but from what I guess, has warranty with the card - not the person, good RMA service and you can water cool it without messing up the warranty?

MSI seems to be getting good clocks though, i've seen a few at 1400 boost?

Also OcUK only have the ACX1 not ACX2?

I have a SF psu and the cables fit fine, plug one 6 pin into the card and use the other 6+2 pin cable into the 8pin connection, they will fit, just make sure the clips on the cables are the same side as the connection. :)

Sorted, thanks mate :)

Associate
Whats the max safe voltage on these cards by any chance?

So far I aint pushed it but I have managed:

Core voltage: +50
power limit: 100
core clock: +184[1500]
memory clock : +405

Left fan on auto and its 64c max

Associate
What temps are you guys getting at idle?

My Asus 970 is around 38c this does seem high.

Nope, that's fine.

I'm in a quiet case with 3 x Noctua 120mm @650 r.p.m. The 970 idles at 38, and goes up into the 40s under load, with the fan set on auto. Max fan speed I've seen it use is ~50%.

I ran my 570GTX at 86c for 4.5 years without issue (so the 970 is "a bit of a come-down" for me" :))

Soldato
A bit of an update I am running it now all day on +100, which according to GPU-z is 1429. However when gaming the sensors tab reports 1492.3Mhz

Is the sensors tab correct? Is my GTX970 self aware and wants to run faster all on its own?

Do I take the reading on the sensor tab or the reading on the main tab as true?

I am very confused...

Back
Top Bottom