• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
A bit of an update I am running it now all day on +100, which according to GPU-z is 1429. However when gaming the sensors tab reports 1492.3Mhz

Is the sensors tab correct? Is my GTX970 self aware and wants to run faster all on its own?

Do I take the reading on the sensor tab or the reading on the main tab as true?

I am very confused...

That's correct. Take the reading from the sensors tab, that's the actual in-game clock.

Permabanned
Nope, that's fine.

I'm in a quiet case with 3 x Noctua 120mm @650 r.p.m. The 970 idles at 38, and goes up into the 40s under load, with the fan set on auto. Max fan speed I've seen it use is ~50%.

I ran my 570GTX at 86c for 4.5 years without issue (so the 970 is "a bit of a come-down" for me" :))

Under load I am seeing 68c, at idle I do think the card has raised the ambient temp in the case by about 10c over my last card.

Associate
I heard a huge buzzing noise from pc earlier, thought it was my msi 979 but its quite clearly from the psu
Does that mean the psu is knackered, or is the 970 causing it to do this?

Soldato
Under load I am seeing 68c, at idle I do think the card has raised the ambient temp in the case by about 10c over my last card.

This seems consistent with my experience when I first switched from more of a reference-design type cooler that blows the air straight out the back versus this type of two fans blowing down onto the card with not much of a shroud type design... Seems to be okay overall though

Soldato
memory overclocking can really open some cards up, almost like letting them breathe more hehe.

But far as I know starting 7ghz already there isn't much room left to go and it caps out at about 7.8ghz?

My 680's are 6ghz stock and went to 7.8ghz.
I'd even hazard a guess its very similar memory chips but I don't know this definitively.
In conclusion if you are clocking the core clock the memory too, it will help.

Associate
What temps are you guys getting at idle?

My Asus 970 is around 38c this does seem high.

I have been wondering about my idle temps too, especially after so many reviews are quoting around 28-30c idle.

At present ambient room 20c, mobo 25c, cpu 28c & gpu idle 36-38c (Corsair 450 with H100i)

With the fan in auto it does not even come on till around 55c I believe. Max temp I have seen has been 68c with fan at 50%.

I have not even tried OC'ing it yet simply because it's tearing through anything I throw at it lol.

Soldato
Did a bold overclock with my MSI 970 and run heaven again.

I have a good clocker so I will try and fine tune the final overclock then start pushing volts to see how far this thing can go.

8juNZDB.jpg

that's the same as my undervolted 7990 with the core and memory backed off too, so the 970 is very powerful

Payday tomorrow :D

Associate
Originally Posted by Scramz View Post
Did a bold overclock with my MSI 970 and run heaven again.

I have a good clocker so I will try and fine tune the final overclock then start pushing volts to see how far this thing can go.

Be interested to see how far you can go most i managed was 1652 in heaven with core at 1625 i could boost core more , but i found it wasent worth it as i was only gaining a few fps in doing so :)

Associate
My cards also arrived today. Woot!! But wont be installing them until tomorrow as its my night off the gym. They're quite a bit shorter than my 7970's but they look fantastic... got 2 mouse mats too :D

What programs do i need to get the boys up and running... nvidia drivers & MSI AB? What else do i need? I haven't had Nvidia cards since before Crysis in 07.

Should i install them both (then overclock) or just one at a time?

Thanks!

Associate
My cards also arrived today. Woot!! But wont be installing them until tomorrow as its my night off the gym. They're quite a bit shorter than my 7970's but they look fantastic... got 2 mouse mats too :D

What programs do i need to get the boys up and running... nvidia drivers & MSI AB? What else do i need? I haven't had Nvidia cards since before Crysis in 07.

Should i install them both (then overclock) or just one at a time?

Thanks!
sshhhhh!
dont mention the free mouse mats

silly question but have you got an SLI Bridge?

Back
Top Bottom