• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
My 970 ASIC is 81.6% and runs to 1600Mhz on stock volts.

I have had low ASIC before of other cards and they was rubbish clockers so i believe there is some truth to it.

1250 is quite good for a 780 they don't clock like the 970/980 cards.

ASIC is just a measure of how much voltage a chip needs to achieve it's stated clocks.

Say it's 1v this would be %100 anything more and the % score decreases. As the chips are produced the stated V for %100 can vary throughout the run and is generally more batch specific than chip.

In short a higher ASIC can mean you have a better chip requiring less voltage but it does not always mean it will clock better.

That's what I make of it anyway....:D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Just ordered the Zotac 970 and EK FC670, should be here Friday.

All setup, tell you what though its a tight squeeze around the caps but a bit of a wiggle and a little bit of pressure while putting in the screws and its up and running, well the desktop at least :)

Will do some tests see if its working ok.

Idle temps: 27°C

Soldato
Just out of interest, is it the motherboard directly or the GPU that causes no video signal for ~10 seconds on initial boot up

Once the light changes on my monitor to picking a signal up the pc boots in around 15s to windows password but wondering how I can reduce that initial video synchronisation / detection with a 970 / MSI X99 board

Soldato
MSI card 1 is 74.7%
MSI card 2 is 74.9%

Ive got to say with one card my rig was ultra cool and quiet but after adding the second its turned into an oven when playing Crysis 3 cauaing my cpu loop to get very warm which has never happened before.

I'm now thinking of a new case that has good airflow through the cards.

Permabanned
I have been wondering about my idle temps too, especially after so many reviews are quoting around 28-30c idle.

At present ambient room 20c, mobo 25c, cpu 28c & gpu idle 36-38c (Corsair 450 with H100i)

With the fan in auto it does not even come on till around 55c I believe. Max temp I have seen has been 68c with fan at 50%.

I have not even tried OC'ing it yet simply because it's tearing through anything I throw at it lol.

I think I am going to add another Noctua and flow some air directly over the card exhausting through one of the blanking plates.

Soldato
Thanks

It's a Silverstone Strider Plus modular 600W about 2 years old. Maybe I do need to upgrade?

Model SST-ST60F-P?

If that is it then your PSU have 42A +12V rail.

I managed to find GTX 970 and 980 power requirement from MSI.

GeForce GTX 980 - 30A and a 500W PSU minimum
GeForce GTX 970 - 28A and a 500W PSU minimum

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

28A so you will be fine. :)

Just noticed GTX 580 on the list stunned to see it used 40A, GTX 970 used less than 40A.

Last edited:
Soldato
Model SST-ST60F-P?

If that is it then your PSU have 42A +12V rail.

I managed to find GTX 970 and 980 power requirement from MSI.

https://forum-en.msi.com/faq/article/printer/power-requirements-for-graphics-cards

28A so you will be fine. :)

Just noticed GTX 580 on the list stunned to see it used 40A, GTX 970 used less than 40A.

Yes it is the ST604F :D (•Dual +12V With Continuous 48A Combined Output) You a mind reader in your spare time? :)

Thanks all. Now to pick one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom