• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato

Yeah, you're right, I forgot about that.
4 would've meant losing my soundcard anyway. Imagine going back to onboard sound! I imagine it would be like going from an IPS to a TN monitor (but for audio, obviously), from what I hear that is.

Not sure if it's worth the hassle going from what will effectively be 3 x 290X cards to 3 x 970 cards other than for power reasons.
4 970s for the same price would've been nice (until it came to upgrade time next year!)
3 980s would be nice, but then you are talking a lot more money and generally I try to go for the 1 below top model as the price doesn't usually justify the performance difference.

Seems like I may have my answer about whether to change or not then. Thanks for reminding me of the 3-way limit on the 970s!

Associate
my MSI is 72.4% seems 1500 on the core is the most I can manage which isn't too bad I guess but being in the 1600mhz club would have been nice

Mine is 72.7%. I've managed 1530 for bench but doesn't seem stable. 1503-1515mhz seems 24/7 stable. I haven't messed with power limit or volts yet tho to see if it helps but not heard much joy from others using it. Will try more.

Caporegime
OP
Mine is 72.7%. I've managed 1530 for bench but doesn't seem stable. 1503-1515mhz seems 24/7 stable. I haven't messed with power limit or volts yet tho to see if it helps but not heard much joy from others using it. Will try more.

Sometimes it can take a while to test if your OC is truly stable. Different/new games can sometimes catch you out and it can depend on how long you stay on a game for. I doubt there's many that are 1600mhz game stable in every title or for hours of continuous play. I thought mine was game stable just under 1600mhz but then different games would make it crash sometimes not until an hour or so into playing. I think this is down to unstable voltage though and not temperature, the 970's need a custom bios to maintain a constant overvoltage it seems.

Associate
I will push it more tonight, I was away the weekend so only had a few hours last night to play with it.

All in all, the card is very fast and silent.

What is your ASIC?

82% ASIC most i went to on core was 1655 but there was no extra benefit from 1600 or 1625 , the gain beyond 1600 for me is minimal with only a few fps gained.

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my 2x MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G cards today (both with mousepads), and they are some sweet cards. I OC'ed to 1114@1201MHz right out of the box to compare them to my 3x Gainward GTX 970 1051@1201Mhz.

Still there is quite a performance penalty going from 2x MSI GTX 780Ti Gaming OC SLI 1020MHz core to these cards. 1000point 3Dmark Firestrike loss. 12FPS loss in Vally 1.0. 14FPS loss in Heaven 4.0. Also my older Palit GTX 780 Super Jetstream & Inno3D GTX 780 IChill Herculez X3 Ultra DHS in SLi edge out these two cards. 7FPS better in Vally 1.0 & Heaven 4.0

However the redeeming factor for the cards is that they are very quiet and they don't run hot - and they got that 4GB Vram which should come in handy soon.
Might just be going to pick up those GTX 970Ti & GTX 980Ti when they come out for my PC's instead.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All setup, tell you what though its a tight squeeze around the caps but a bit of a wiggle and a little bit of pressure while putting in the screws and its up and running, well the desktop at least :)

Will do some tests see if its working ok.

Idle temps: 27°C

Update: For just about everything its better in every way than the 290 I had in there, but when pushed really hard (folding@home) the coil whine can be heard in the next room, with the case on!

Never heard anything like it. :eek:

Max temps 46°C

Soldato
Had a scare last night with my two cards, pushing 1550mhz and 2350 memory, managed to get a full run on heaven in before the system shut down, had no display for 30 minutes :eek: all ok now though!

Associate
Hi guys

So my 2 x MSI 970 gaming GPU's are in but im not sure how to overclock them... been with AMD for the last 7/8 years ;) Can someone please point me somewhere i can have a read on the do's and dont's!?

Thanks. Loving the cards... SLI works in D3 RoS... woot!!

Soldato
Update: For just about everything its better in every way than the 290 I had in there, but when pushed really hard (folding@home) the coil whine can be heard in the next room, with the case on!

Never heard anything like it. :eek:

Max temps 46°C

Currently running x13 on my 970.

5000-5300k/hash at 300W total system power

X11 sees 6000+ k/hash

Faster than my 290s

Last edited:
Associate
Download afterburner, stick 100 on the core and 450 on the memory to start with, 20mv and 110 power, run a bench or furmark to see how stable :)

Ok thanks! I'm on drivers 344.16 and DL new MSI AB

+100 core, +450 mem and power is at 110 but Core Volt (mV) is not showing but ive unlocked voltage control... ?!

Back
Top Bottom