• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Until your really happy with your overclock dont tell afterburner to apply your profile at startup no matter what card you have imo
the problem is when you reboot the pc, it's automatically defaulting back and i'm loosing my OC, i have to click onto ``profile 1`` and it comes back...... this needs fixing

Once your gpu o/c is 100 % stable tick apply at startup Mal and then you will boot at ur profile oc automatically

Associate
I'm hopefully a soon to be owner, patiently waiting for the Gigabyte 970 to be restocked so I can get my shipment sometime next week. Trying hard to resist switching it for another just to get it a few days sooner.

Caporegime
OP
I'm wondering of I could just squeeze the gigabyte in with that metal guard on the back. Or can I use one of the other pcie slots?

Anyone got any pics of a gigabyte in there case?

Buy an AIO water cooler for your CPU. That's probably way too close with a backplate on, I wouldn't want it pressing against the CPU heatsink that's for sure.

Soldato
oh yes it's perfect at stock, dont forget that the card is overclocked anyway..i.e the default setting is already overclocked for you

the problem is when you reboot the pc, it's automatically defaulting back and i'm loosing my OC, i have to click onto ``profile 1`` and it comes back...... this needs fixing

That's Asus Gpu Tweak Tripe for ya! That bugs been around from way back when I had 7970 Matrix Platinums.

Soldato
I just tried re installing GPU Tweak and now its not letting me get a gpu clock over 1400. Thats how far the slider maxxes out. Any one know how to unlock it?

you can deffo unlock it via Afterburner, but that software wont work for me, 1400 is max on mine without Afterburner too, as is the memory clock at 7990

but this software needs updating, because it wont reload my profile after reboot

Soldato
Until your really happy with your overclock dont tell afterburner to apply your profile at startup no matter what card you have imo

Once your gpu o/c is 100 % stable tick apply at startup Mal and then you will boot at ur profile oc automatically

ok m8 i'll try again tomorrow, because i'm a bit fed up with it right now, i did put into it the same OC that Tweak had and Tweak crashed too......so i guess you're right

because Afterburner always remembers the profile

Last edited:
Associate
I made a point of measuring my msi 970 before I installed it today, out of curiosity due to the conflicting measurements given by different websites. From the metal plate to the tip of the coolers it was pretty much 27cm.

Soldato
Take your time when overclocking and go up in small increments, starting with either the core or memory to find your max stable clocks on each one.

ok i kept trying Afterburner 4.0 and the GPU wouldn't even work on stock so i deleted it and returned to Afterburner 3.01.........it's ok now, but it took some time to get stable

core clock = + 100................mem clock = + 280..........but if i go above that it'll artifact, voltage = default......so the mem clock via Tweak is the same at about 1440

Heaven score is about 2700 at about 110 fps so i'm pretty happy with it, the card feels overclocked quite a lot already and this is probably what's gone wrong, thus it feels like it wont OC very far

do not mess with the fans, leave them at default, they work much better like this

Last edited:
Soldato
ok i kept trying Afterburner 4.0 and it wouldn't even work on stock so i deleted it and returned to Afterburner 3.01.........it's ok now, but it took some time to get stable

core clock = + 100................mem clock = + 280..........go above that and it'll artifact, voltage = default.

Heaven score is about 2700 at about 110 fps so i'm pretty happy with it, the card feels overclocked quite a lot already.

do not mess with the fans, leave them at default, they work much better like this

I prefer to setup a custom fan profile when using AB. When you're Overclocking, have you set the Power Limit to max?

Soldato
One guy on OC managed to flash an EVGA SC 980 BIOS onto a ref 980, any idea if you can do similar with 970's? like flash a Strix/G1/MSI BIOS onto a ref clocked card? (I want it more for the additional TDP than the higher stock clocks).

Back
Top Bottom