• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
When you guys talk about your overclock speeds like this for example: 1564/2000 are you referring to the GPU Clock Boost/GPU Clock Memory in GUP-Z.

So In my case below my overclock is 1400/2003

Is that correct? This is my first Overclock by the way. Got 1514 on Unigine Heaven 4 using the settings in the benching thread. That puts me up there with some overclocked GTX780s :cool:

Shall I try upping the Core Clock a bit more?

Last edited:
Soldato
Set it to max if you're trying to find the max clocks the card will run at. What does the Power limit go to on that card Btw?

it goes to 120% but when i jacked it up it crashed ...... as usual

this card is very sensative, it runs best at my previous posting of +100..........+280, nothing else altered

i also notice that Heaven runs better after you reboot the pc, i think it's using the GPUs settings from the previous crash, i'm sort of noticing strange things, it always crashes if you quickly adjust AB and then run Heaven instantly.............or if you dont save and lock the new profile.

Last edited:
Soldato
it goes to 120% but when i jacked it up it crashed ...... as usual

this card is very sensative, it runs best at my previous posting, i can always tell when it's about to crash, the temp goes up to 68 !

Set the fans manually to 100% in AB, Power Limit to 120% and run a benchmark at stock clocks to determine whether raising the Power Limits causing the card to crash or an unstable Overclock.

Soldato
It shows 1463 for the Core and 4001 for the Memory. What's GPU-Z showing then?

you need to run those settings in Heaven Benchmark, because they might not be stable..

if your card is the same as mine, then your memory clock is extremely high at + 500.............but you've got your fan set much faster than mine, so you might be ok

Soldato
OK ran it in Unigine Heaven and the AB OSD shows 1500 for the core and 4000 for the Memory (your supposed to double that right so it's actually 8000).

Got a result of 1555 and my temperature never went above 60C. Shall I try overclocking some more?

My ASIC is only 69.1%

Soldato
Set the fans manually to 100% in AB, Power Limit to 120% and run a benchmark at stock clocks to determine whether raising the Power Limits causing the card to crash or an unstable Overclock.

i've set the fans to max before i could hear them = 45%

AB power limit at 120% is now ok (and for the same settings as before), the FPS has risen, but the fans are on all the time and i dont like it, so i'll probably back it off and increase the performance via SLI instead

it's a trade off, i want lazy performance i dont want it working like crazy for only 5fps on 1080p

Last edited:
Soldato
OK ran it in Unigine Heaven and the AB OSD shows 1500 for the core and 4000 for the Memory (your supposed to double that right so it's actually 8000).

Got a result of 1555 and my temperature never went above 60C. Shall I try overclocking some more?

My ASIC is only 69.1%

that seems very good to me

Soldato
My ASIC is only 69.1%

I'm not trying to be rude here, but it seems a lot of people are putting waaaaay too much weight on how important an ASIC rating actually is. Firstly the % is a % of a random number target set by AMD/Nvidia for each series. I.E 70% on a GTX670 may well be better ASIC quality than 70% on a R290X which may well be better than 80% on a GTX580, it's not a simple case of the higher the % the better the card, it's just how close that card is to the target picked by the manufacturer for that model.

Secondly, if you don't plan on over clocking heavily then ASIC is pretty much irrelevant anyway, hell it doesn't really make any user perceivable difference to a stock or factory over clocked card.

And thirdly, the isn't actually any evidence whatsoever that ASIC quality relates at all to over clocking potential, it only relates to cooling requirements.

Soldato
Core: 1531
Memory: 4000
GPU Temp: 59 with fans at 55%

Got a Heaven result of 1577 not far from a GTX780ti :cool:

If I reduce the memory overclock will the give me more room with the Core overclock? I'm going to try some more tomorrow, need to get to bed now.

Gotta say these are awesome cards, the best I've ever had (even better than my 8800GT!)

Last edited:
Permabanned
What makes the 970 faster than the 780 when it has lower clocks and less " stream processors " what is the actual % performance difference between the two when both at stock clocks?

looking for an informed answer not just a parroting of what the marketing and reviews tell you lol

Permabanned
What makes the 970 faster than the 780 when it has lower clocks and less " stream processors " what is the actual % performance difference between the two when both at stock clocks?

looking for an informed answer not just a parroting of what the marketing and reviews tell you lol

The shaders in the 970 can do more then a shader in a 780. That's it really.

And when both are overclocked I wouldn't say the 970 is any faster to be honest.

Soldato
Core: 1531
Memory: 4000
GPU Temp: 59 with fans at 55%

Got a Heaven result of 1577 not far from a GTX780ti :cool:

If I reduce the memory overclock will the give me more room with the Core overclock? I'm going to try some more tomorrow, need to get to bed now.

Gotta say these are awesome cards, the best I've ever had (even better than my 8800GT!)

In the 'old days' memory clocks would effect the highest core clock and vice versa.

Trick was getting the right balance between them both.

Associate

Also like to know this^ is it worth clocking the 970 to Max to get close to a 780ti or is best to spend the bit extra and buy a 780ti?

Back
Top Bottom