• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA GTX 970 OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Any actual Asus Strix 970 owners?

Any coil whine? how well does yours OC?

still waiting for mine to arrive.

A little but not very noticable.

Mine goes to 1550 boost but I'm under water.

I think the only reason the strix card doesn't clock as high as the others is it has less voltage headroom.

Associate
almighty i think your the wright person to answer this question i have because your into GPU bios mods

i going to order the G1 970 tomorrow, i was wondering if it is possible that the 0db option/function from MSI or Asus card to flashed to the G1 card?

Last edited:
Associate
Hmm, that would certainly keep the cost down! Are you using ram heatsinks?

What OC have you managed and can you monitor VRM temps on these cards?

No ram heatsinks nor vrm heatsinks, though there is a strip of metal which comes with the card that sits over the vrms.

Not sure if there is any software yet which can monitor the vrm temp?

No overclock yet either but I'll install heaven and see what I can get.

Well I stand corrected. Been playing anno 2070 and have had some random "crashes" where the monitor no longer receives a display, but the game continues on in the background. Tried different game and going back to stock on the CPU and still the same behaviour a few minutes in.

Now it could be a dodgy card of course, but my hunch is I am overheating the vrms; gpu is about 55 when this behaviour happens and I'm assuming the fact that the game is still running in the background means the vram is OK, so I guess the vrms or something else is overheating.

I am running a bitfenix phenom with an 4690k on a couple of single 120x2, all very tight in the case indeed.

My guess is then that unless you have good airflow (which I don't) then these cards are not cool enough to run on a gpu only block. I made the assumption they were as the 760 I ran before hand has similar tdp so I thought it would be all good.

Was looking at fractal design node 804 for a while so think I will grab one and a stock FC block.

Associate
Hi, looking for some advice / help.
Received my MSI 970 on Friday from OC, upgraded from a 560 1gb so really is a huge change for my rig.
I noticed on the box it needs around 42amp on the 12 rail, so after installing i purchased a new PSU also (i had a 500w but the rating was really low around 18amp on 12 rail).
Been playing shadow of mordor without issue but i cant complete firestrike benchmark, after first test i get a black screen.
Any ideas? system is stable playing mordor for hours

Associate
The only fan noises I hear at idle are the case ones, and they're not loud enough to be an annoyance. Absolutely great card though, just installing TW: Rome 2 to see how it plays on Ultra.

Thanks, I was wondering about the SLI caps. Just removed them now!

Associate
thanks DemiGod for the info, if you get the chance check what this baby boost to and don't stay up to late playing Rome at ultra you wont even noticed the time fly bye you be so amazed by the graphics ^^

np m8 aww cant w8 til have this baby only wished Gigabyte had put RGB leds to it

Associate
Yeah, I wasn't too happy with it after I put it in. I think I'll have to replace it with something by the end of the month, especially since it's a 450D case with the window looking straight at it.

Permabanned
almighty i think your the wright person to answer this question i have because your into GPU bios mods

i going to order the G1 970 tomorrow, i was wondering if it is possible that the 0db option/function from MSI or Asus card to flashed to the G1 card?

No it won't work it will brick your card so do not even attempt it.

I flashed my card with a BIOS from a card that has the EXACT same PCB as my card which is why it works, your card has a completely different PCB design to the ASUS and MSI version so a BIOS swap is not possible.

Associate
Well I stand corrected. Been playing anno 2070 and have had some random "crashes" where the monitor no longer receives a display, but the game continues on in the background. Tried different game and going back to stock on the CPU and still the same behaviour a few minutes in.

Now it could be a dodgy card of course, but my hunch is I am overheating the vrms; gpu is about 55 when this behaviour happens and I'm assuming the fact that the game is still running in the background means the vram is OK, so I guess the vrms or something else is overheating.

I am running a bitfenix phenom with an 4690k on a couple of single 120x2, all very tight in the case indeed.

My guess is then that unless you have good airflow (which I don't) then these cards are not cool enough to run on a gpu only block. I made the assumption they were as the 760 I ran before hand has similar tdp so I thought it would be all good.

Was looking at fractal design node 804 for a while so think I will grab one and a stock FC block.

Hold that, something odd happened so needed to open my case up, seems my gpu was not in properly, so it may have been a schoolboy error after all. Saved me a few quid if that is the case :)

Associate
managed to get +225 on cpu and +225 on gpu in about 10 mins, valley run was successful. Can push it a little bit more.
Produces almost no heat id assume power drain isnt that great either.
Amazing card, rip 780

Another question
Is it worth flashing new/custom bios on msi 970?

Back
Top Bottom