• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia GTX 980 Owners Thread

Associate
its nothing to do with GPU's but at work once we had a ups management card delivered that had been squashed. has fork lift rubber tracks over it and all. was not impressed!

ill see if i still have a picture later..

Dan

Soldato
My first G1 was bent, along with the back plate. Returned it and the second isnt perfect but better, no I/O plate bend this time though.

Still for the money the build quality of these things is shoddy, especially compared to the stock cooler.

Associate
just got to install my gigabyte 980 and the plate was bent a little but im having problems screwing it in, the screws that hold back plates in on the corsair 760t case wont tighten when i use same screws to put 980 in

has anyone had issue like this before ive checked 760t book and cant see any screw for gpu so i guess must be these holding plates in

edited, the hole that holds the back plates in is covered when my 980 is installed and two holes it wants me to put screws it has like no thread

ive think ive got it in i think its cause the top of the plate where you screw them in was bent when i took it out of box, but its not right good when pay 499 and plate thing is bent

Last edited:
Associate
just got to install my gigabyte 980 and the plate was bent a little but im having problems screwing it in, the screws that hold back plates in on the corsair 760t case wont tighten when i use same screws to put 980 in

has anyone had issue like this before ive checked 760t book and cant see any screw for gpu so i guess must be these holding plates in

edited, the hole that holds the back plates in is covered when my 980 is installed and two holes it wants me to put screws it has like no thread

ive think ive got it in i think its cause the top of the plate where you screw them in was bent when i took it out of box, but its not right good when pay 499 and plate thing is bent

maybe you should post a photo of the bent part? i'll be honest i can't visualise how it being bent would cause that problem. maybe it's not seated properly?

Associate
Having some performance issues. my 2x EVGA 980 SC's are not performing as well as they should.
For example my graphics score on the standard firestrike was around 19-20k. However my friend running 2x Galax 970's was surpassing my score. When I also deployed a heavy OC than him I almost broke 21k graphics score, he hit 26k with his 970's. Another friend with 2x 290's with an OC has an almost identical graphics score as well.
The OC I gave my card was +250 Core and +350 memory.

I'm guessing I have a bottleneck. My Mobo is a z97 gaming 5 and I have an I5 4670k at 4.4 ghz. I also found in my GPU Z that one card in the X16 slot, one is running at x8 but the other is at x4. Would this be causing a problem?

Could use some help here.

Associate
I also found in my GPU Z that one card in the X16 slot, one is running at x8 but the other is at x4. Would this be causing a problem?

Could use some help here.

It's my understanding that this would be negligible, there will be someone along shortly who has a better grasp though.

Soldato

Got mine on water now, it doesn't help with overclocking but i don't see the speeds fluctuating now... hope a new bios comes out soon.

Last edited:
Associate
I am thinking about getting a 980 G1 Gaming, but the card is 31cm+ long. I think it wont fit on my CM690 II? Has anyone tried this card on this case?

Soldato
I'm thinking of just buying two reference Zotac cards, but I don't want to buy them and then find out gm200 is going to be released soon :o

Just bought 2 reference 980's last night myself. I was thinking the same thing as you. Should I wait for full fat or buy 2 980's now. I waited all this time since 980's launch and also 980 reference cards are starting to disappear fast. Every shop is out of them. so I thought Hmm.. better act fast then. tbh full fat 20nm or 16nm are a year away yet. Also if your gaming hell even a SLI 760 or even 660's are well enough for gaming for years to come. My friends only has a single 760 and every game plays very smooth on his PC, so your 980's will be just fine for a long time.

Soldato
Just bought 2 reference 980's last night myself. I was thinking the same thing as you. Should I wait for full fat or buy 2 980's now. I waited all this time since 980's launch and also 980 reference cards are starting to disappear fast. Every shop is out of them. so I thought Hmm.. better act fast then. tbh full fat 20nm or 16nm are a year away yet. Also if your gaming hell even a SLI 760 or even 660's are well enough for gaming for years to come. My friends only has a single 760 and every game plays very smooth on his PC, so your 980's will be just fine for a long time.
Strangely, an EVGA employee has denied that the reference 980 is EOL, so I'm not sure what to think about that.
Hope you get good ones :p

Back
Top Bottom