• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia to support Freesync?

Soldato
Good point - I'd lost sight of the fact it was adaptive sync/FreeSync there which I've never felt handles lower framerates as well as a good G-Sync panel - especially if the panel has a lower range of 40-48Hz it probably doesn't do as well much below 60 in comparison to the panels that extend down to 30.
I feel that below 60FPS doesn't seem much better with Gsync on a Dell S2716DG whereas higher framerates are noticeably better. Some games are better than others, it depends on the engine.

Man of Honour
I feel that below 60FPS doesn't seem much better with Gsync on a Dell S2716DG whereas higher framerates are noticeably better. Some games are better than others, it depends on the engine.

What I find kind of funny - I forget how smooth G-Sync can be at around 120 FPS or so (i.e. Left 4 Dead) then I go and play on a system without it and wonder what is wrong before I remember.

Associate
Seems to be working well on my ASUS ROG Strix XG32VQ monitor. I played a bit of Assassin's Creed Odyssey earlier and the framerate dipped to 54fps in a big city with zero screen-tearing and still felt smooth.

Associate
I'm really pleased with it, but I also think that part of the mystique of g-sync is because of the premium Nvidia put on it. "It must be amazing otherwise they wouldn't charge so much for it"

I did notice with my msi mpg27cq in the pendulum demo is that at the lower frame rates I was getting frame doubling. Demo set to 40 monitor running at 80. Don't know if all freesync monitors will behave the same though. Not sure if it's monitor side or drivers controlling that

Soldato
A long-term game changer for sure, this can only be good for us consumers. Hell has indeed frozen over :D

Would be even better if it had been done for philanthropic reasons, but this is Nvidia after all.

AMD and TV manufacturers supporting Freesync, the disparity in pricing twixt Gsync and Freesync displays along with the possible threat of Intel competition has forced their greedy, corporate hands.

Associate
Tried the demo last night too and it without gsync enabled it had tearing and stutter, but I've never seen that before on anything prior to enabling, so wondering if this is something the demo is artificially putting on the screen? Either way, I'm assuming it's working, just that I can't tell any difference :S

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Thanks for the correction but freesync monitor works so good,I just sold my 165Hz 2560 x 1440 G-sync which paid for my 4K 60Hz IPS and I am fine with what ever people wanna call it.:d

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I am saying that Nvidia will want you to call your new monitor a G-Sync panel and from now on when a new monitor comes out, instead of it primarily be advertised as Freesync, it will be as G-Sync or the very least G-Sync compatible. Therefore my point was all those monitors are still freesync and I won’t call any monitor that does not have a g-sync module in it G-Sync as there is no g-sync module for it to be g-sync. It is obviously freesync which now nvidia have caved in and support, no matter what their marketing will have us believe.

Nice upgrade by the way, bet you are loving the bump in image quality? :)

Caporegime
I'm really pleased with it, but I also think that part of the mystique of g-sync is because of the premium Nvidia put on it. "It must be amazing otherwise they wouldn't charge so much for it"

I did notice with my msi mpg27cq in the pendulum demo is that at the lower frame rates I was getting frame doubling. Demo set to 40 monitor running at 80. Don't know if all freesync monitors will behave the same though. Not sure if it's monitor side or drivers controlling that

How low? whats the Free-Sync range of your screen?

I get a slight frame doubling frame stutter at 45 FPS on the windmill demo, its fine at 50 FPS+ the Free-Sync Range of my screen it 48 to 75.

Associate
How low? whats the Free-Sync range of your screen?

I get a slight frame doubling frame stutter at 45 FPS on the windmill demo, its fine at 50 FPS+ the Free-Sync Range of my screen it 48 to 75.
the monitors range is 48 - 144 and in the demo on both the 50 fps and 40 fps setting I was getting double

Associate
Blah blah blah, we're finally going to enable vesa adaptive sync on our drivers.
But we're going to insist on saying it's gsync.
And it may or may not work, except on these 12 monitors out of 400.
The others probably work, but you have to manually click something, and that sucks, so pay the extra £160+ gsync tax to us.
Blah blah blah, it's because freesync doesn't work, not the fault of our drivers of course, even though it's an open standard and even amd, who we keep saying are useless, can get it to work.
We honestly though Navi was coming, so we brought forward the 2060 and there may be a possible 11 series if needs be, but don't think we've finally done the decent thing on adaptive sync.
If needs be, we will... possibly, depends how much we can squeeze out of the market as is.
And the growing strength of anti-nvidia feeling.

(I thought stuff 'em - bought a vega 64 instead of a 2070 - I'm a former nvidia fanboy - I know I'm not alone).

Caporegime
I'm quite pleased, in the run up my worry was that dropping below the range would cause the issues that NVidia was showing off. But seems, in my case at least, it works fine even at lower FPS :)

Yeah, below the threshold it just switches to driver forced V-Sync, its more noticeable in the Pendulum and Windmill demos because they are designed to highlight it, in games as long as it doesn't go too much below 50 i don't notice it, it does get worse the low the frame rates tho, but the thing with that is if the frames drop below 60 i look at lowering the graphics settings anyway, i haven't had to do that yet, the 1070 is still capable of running AAA titles at above 60 at 1440P, if and when i find its not capable of that anymore its time to upgrade it anyway.

I'm happy with the way it is. :)

Associate
I get frame doubling aswell which I think is LFC doing its job. Low frame rate compensation I think would try to double FPS to match displays max hz. So 72fps would use 144hz on screen using LFC. I’m not 100 percent sure though because haven’t tested exact numbers on pendulum demo yet to see which get doubled etc.

I think range on my monitor is 30-144hz Freesync range but can’t find exact spec.

It’s a cheap 1440p 144hz (element-gaming)model but seems to be working really well.

Back
Top Bottom