OCUK Body Builders: Post your Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
dun said:
Thanks! lol I think. Its all that gaming in a few years ago :(
Its difficult to comment otherwise cause I dont have a benchline of what u looked like before and if I compared u to Lee Preist (pro bodybuilder) it wouldnt be a fair comparison.

I should have some new pics in a week or so time, and I got some previous which I already posted. I know I gained a stone and a bit, but the scales dont tell the whole story. Ive slotted in a jog in the park and I walk to the gym, so that I can eat without too much worry of excess bodyfat.

dun

dun

Soldato
megatron said:
Its difficult to comment otherwise cause I dont have a benchline of what u looked like before and if I compared u to Lee Preist (pro bodybuilder) it wouldnt be a fair comparison.

Of course. Only been at it 2 months really (about a month of messing before) so doing well imo :)

Permabanned
Ultra_Extreme said:
lol, working out at home you miss these wonderful sights. Then again i saw 2 kids (16-20) at the gym i do cardio at, they were doing DB bench with 15Kgs, ok no shame in lifiting light you say? well they had their tops off and were taking pics...

Oh and thanks for the responses on shrugs :D

On the upright row front, everything ive seen says pull to the chin, making it bi-delt-trap. If you're only pulling to the nipples then of course theres no trap work being done.

Thing that makes me laugh is you get certain people who come into the gym with a bottle of lucozade and think it benefits them. I once said it's basically not something to drink at the gym. And they point to the bottle which says "Brain and Body energy" or whatever it is :rolleyes: .

Can't say I've seen people taking there tops off and taking pictures of themself lmfao that would be damn funny. Just seen people doing exercises completely wrong, like on the bench press for working the chest they will hold there hands in dodgy posistions so say they are both way too close as if it's a tricep press. Or one hand close and one way to far out.

What's with the people, I was at the gym for like 2 hours. Basically this guy comes in probly 18 or something, goes on the bench press and does the bench press for an hour and a half straight then goes away, he comes in every time just to do that over and over. Is there any real benefit to that? Just seems pointless.

Caporegime
SK07 said:
Thing that makes me laugh is you get certain people who come into the gym with a bottle of lucozade and think it benefits them. I once said it's basically not something to drink at the gym. And they point to the bottle which says "Brain and Body energy" or whatever it is :rolleyes: .

Can't say I've seen people taking there tops off and taking pictures of themself lmfao that would be damn funny. Just seen people doing exercises completely wrong, like on the bench press for working the chest they will hold there hands in dodgy posistions so say they are both way too close as if it's a tricep press. Or one hand close and one way to far out.

What's with the people, I was at the gym for like 2 hours. Basically this guy comes in probly 18 or something, goes on the bench press and does the bench press for an hour and a half straight then goes away, he comes in every time just to do that over and over. Is there any real benefit to that? Just seems pointless.

a few points / questions:

- what is wrong with lucozade as a drink?
- why are you in the gym for 2 hours?
- there are some routines (mainly russian orientated iirc) that will have you benching heavy, many times a week
- ask the person why they bench each time. dont look down at people unless you know what they are doing and why.

Soldato
SK07 said:

The lucozade thing gets me too. If you really want then you can mix some sugar/salt into water and drink that at the gym. I find plain water best though. As for fizzy drinks while working out :eek:

SK07 said:

I see a lot of youngsters doing things like this. All they ever seem to do is bench press and bicep curls. Nothing else. Generally, these kids tend to be very thin (which, at that age, is expected), but even the older guys tend to have extraordinarily thin legs. By their 30s, they tend to drop out of weight training altogether. I tend to see very few men, in their prime, in the early 30s in my gym.

The thing that irritates me the most though is when these kids grab a couple of dumbells that they can barely lift, off the stack. They place them on the floor. They get assistance to bench press them (1 or 2 reps). Now, as they cannot lift the dumbells back onto the weight stack without totally exerting themselves, they leave the dumbells on the floor and leaving others to come and clear up their mess. They then move onto another exercise. Its as if kids today lack energy. Perhaps its all that fizzy lucozade?

Another thing that I dont understand: they do an exercise, but cant do more than 1 rep without assistance from a spotter. Whatever happened to doing 8-12 reps without assistance?

Permabanned
Morba said:
a few points / questions:

- what is wrong with lucozade as a drink?
- why are you in the gym for 2 hours?
- there are some routines (mainly russian orientated iirc) that will have you benching heavy, many times a week
- ask the person why they bench each time. dont look down at people unless you know what they are doing and why.

agreed.

Lucozade, for all its hype, is a good source of fast carbs, so providing its within the spec of your regieme theres nothing wrong with it per say (although in reality most lucozade in the gym drinkers are morons lets be honest)

Gymming for over 1.5 hours is not conducive to bulking. Your cortisol levels will be way up and your test levels will be decreasing. Your body will have begun endurance training and you will catabolise (break down) unnecessary muscle. You can only train for longer periods (for bulking) if you are on strong cortisol blockers or steroids.

If you were training purely for flat bench strength there is not a lot wrong with just benching. 1.5 hours seems a little long though, thats a lot of sets.

The real idiots in the gym aren't the ones you see every week doing the same old thing or the kids taking pictures of each other and tensing in the mirror. It's the ones you only see once a month that do one set on each machine then leave, they are just wasting their time.

Permabanned
Err im at the gym 1.5 to 2 hours due which I target different areas each time. Also ab exercises. Now I do 3 sets to each exercise with a rep max of 10. Does me fine and is making a difference so I see no issue with it. I used to have it on 5 sets if you really want to know.

It doesn't take me a full 2 hours to weight train. I do cardio as well, usually 20 minutes on the cross trainer at a high resistance and rpm to burn around 400-500 calories.

Before anyone says negative comments. I have been doing this for around a month now (on my current program) and guess what? after a month a difference has occured, for the better. I won't go into every detail but I've lost fat, inches (around waist mainly, trousers are almost sliding off). Strength increase and body has increased, especially noticeable around the chest, delt, shoulder, bicep/tricep area. It's tighter and a lot more firm.

All I can say is that it IS working. I have no problem with people criticizing but don't render it useless or what not.

Im pretty sure Lucozade has more sugar than original coca cola.

Soldato
sunama said:
Another thing that I dont understand: they do an exercise, but cant do more than 1 rep without assistance from a spotter. Whatever happened to doing 8-12 reps without assistance?

It's a simple ego thing. They'd rather do a higher weight, nothing else matters.
Same as the people who do a 6inch ROM on the squat.

Soldato
SK07 said:
Err im at the gym 1.5 to 2 hours due which I target different areas each time. Also ab exercises. Now I do 3 sets to each exercise with a rep max of 10. Does me fine and is making a difference so I see no issue with it. I used to have it on 5 sets if you really want to know.

It doesn't take me a full 2 hours to weight train. I do cardio as well, usually 20 minutes on the cross trainer at a high resistance and rpm to burn around 400-500 calories.

Before anyone says negative comments. I have been doing this for around a month now (on my current program) and guess what? after a month a difference has occured, for the better. I won't go into every detail but I've lost fat, inches (around waist mainly, trousers are almost sliding off). Strength increase and body has increased, especially noticeable around the chest, delt, shoulder, bicep/tricep area. It's tighter and a lot more firm.

All I can say is that it IS working. I have no problem with people criticizing but don't render it useless or what not.

Im pretty sure Lucozade has more sugar than original coca cola.

How frequently do you do these 90-120 minute workouts?

Soldato
I used to drink lucozade sport after a work out to get some energy back in me for the long walk home :( not during working out, i was quite happy with water.

Permabanned
oddjob62 said:
It's a simple ego thing. They'd rather do a higher weight, nothing else matters.
Same as the people who do a 6inch ROM on the squat.

woah there. whats wrong with low rep strength training? CNS training (strength) only comes at between 1-4 reps or a max of 6 reps depending on the program/belief. After that you simply develop bulk or upwards of 12 reps is mostly cardio. It's perfectly legitimate to do one heavy rep followed by a coupla forced reps. These guys may never be as big as a decent bodybuilder but they will push far more.

And SK07, its not criticism by any means m8 since im hardly a top pro who can dish out such, however it might be useful for you to spend some time readiung up on hormone levels and their effect on muscle gains. It is VERY important and is part of the reason a lot of people fail at BB'ing.

Put simply, the minute your body is exerted, whether this be a treadmill warmup or a bench press. Your testosterone levels rise in response, this stimulates the body to produce large amounts of energy and divert blood to the muscles (along with a myriad of other complex processes) your test levels continue to rise for roughly 60 minutes of ongoing excecise (yes including rests) at which point Cortisol, the stress hormone, starts to be produces. The mechanisms behind all this are a little beyond my current knowledge however Cortisol is known to be a catabolic substance, encouraging the breakdown of tissue including fat AND muscle. Testosterone is Anabolic (yes like steroids which are largely hormones like testosterone anyway) and encourages the build up of muscle. The catabolic cortisol inhibits the anabolic effect of testosterone. By about 1hr45 your cortisol levels have peaked and your testosterone levels are greatly reduced.

Put even more simply, textbook biology says that if person A works out for 1 hour with the same intensity as person B who works out for 2 hours person A will gain approximately twice the mass assuming the same diet, genetics and other contributing factors. This is because while person A did not stress the muscles as much, his hormone levels were highly anabolic at his PWO protein intake point encouraging muscle growth. Person B spent an extra hour inflicting more damage to his muscles however was highly catabolic for up to half of this time thus gains little muscle growth.

Another important point is the effect of insulin spikes on muscle growth, introducing insulin (along with insulin-like growth factor 1 or IGF1) during an anabolic state PWO increases muscle growth exponentially, which is why you should have simple sugars in your PWO shake.

At the end of the day its all down to what you want at the end. Theres no doubt that longer workouts improve muscle conditioning, but they are no good for size. What most people forget is that up to a point, a point where most people would look pretty big, manipulation of a lot of these things is unnecessary because the male body can hold a fair bit of muscle naturally. However when looking to get a LOT bigger, like say for that Wardie guy to get bigger, these factors are important. Remember the body does not WANT excess muscle, it uses up valuable energy and provides little sustinance. Your body has not evolved to know we have supermarkets and wont starve to death tomorrow. To maintain decent size you must 'trick' your body's systems into doing what you want them to do.

Oh and all IFBB pro's take steroids, fact. Otherwise why would there be a 'natural' BB title as well. Im amazed how surprised some are to hear that.

Rant over.

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
woah there. whats wrong with low rep strength training? CNS training (strength) only comes at between 1-4 reps or a max of 6 reps depending on the program/belief. After that you simply develop bulk or upwards of 12 reps is mostly cardio. It's perfectly legitimate to do one heavy rep followed by a coupla forced reps. These guys may never be as big as a decent bodybuilder but they will push far more.

Urrrr... when did i mention anything against low rep training... you obviously don't know me too well.

I was talking about the guys who use a weight they can't do without someone assisting them. The old Bench-Bent-over-row-2-man-combo-lift.

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:

I can see your point. However, consider that these youngsters have physiques like match sticks (at their age, I think many of us have been there), and can barely lift these dumbells off the ground. I mean, they really are on the limit. They cant even lift the weight back onto the weight stack after they have finished. Its frustrating having to clear up the dumbells after them if you want to use the bench they have just been using.

I can totally understand if you are an experienced weight lifter/trainer and decide to vary your training, reducing the rep range to 6 or less. But I assure you, this is not the case here.

Soldato
oddjob62 said:
The old Bench-Bent-over-row-2-man-combo-lift.

LOL. Ive seen that
Ive also seen the 2 man combo bench press, the 2 man combo bicep barbell curl, the 2 man combo dumbell shoulder press, etc etc.

The problem in my gym is that the personal trainer (who these kids look upto) doesnt teach them right from wrong, even though Ive witnessed him train himself and he makes none of the mistakes that these kids are clearly making.

Permabanned
oddjob62 said:
Urrrr... when did i mention anything against low rep training... you obviously don't know me too well.

I was talking about the guys who use a weight they can't do without someone assisting them. The old Bench-Bent-over-row-2-man-combo-lift.

That is true i dont :D you seem to know your stuff. I just dont want people on here who dont know too much thinking you shouldnt do 1 rep lifts etc, it mis-informative. Yes i made up that word.

Caporegime
SK07 said:

Hate to tell you this, but you are in the 'honeymoon' period of exercising. Generally the first 2 months will see great gains / losses in all areas of expectation. Its what you do over the next 10 months that will make the difference in your first year.

You have no problem with criticism, but dont want people to render what you do pointless.... yet you happily render what others do useless. you have a lot to learn, as we all do.

Caporegime
slambo69 said:
Is there any point in teens doing bodybuilding? When I say bodybuilding I realy mean weightlifting to gain mass etc. not as a profession, if you get me.

define teens.
13-15 i would say no, just get on with living and enjoying being that age. play rugby or football or something, make sure you are fit
16-19 - definitely, although start with the main bulk building exercises and get form and diet sorted.

Permabanned
Hormone levels? really I get what your saying but your telling me what it does but what is the outcome of this? the long term effect if you like.

I don't take any powders or supplements. Again im not trying to get arnnie style, im not aiming to be the size of a house in muscle. All I want to do is drop body fat, "tone up" and build some muscle on. I don't really care for all these powders etc. I don't eat rubbish, I don't drink fizzy juice etc. I eat fruit, I eat lots of protein, steak, chicken etc etc etc.

If you want to get into complete detail. I probly don't have a 2 hour session. I reckon an hour and a half at the most.

I workout 4 days per week. Im working on every area of my body. I do roughly 6 exercises each time I go for that certain area. I have 10 rep max with about a 6 failure rate, I have 3 sets to each exercise. Add in the rests in between and then sometimes I talk to people and then add in 20 minutes cross trainer. Cross trainer = 20 mins + lets say an hour possibly less of weight training. That raps the gig up.

For anyone interested, no I don't feel that im overdoing it, im not getting any abnormal pains or problems. I don't feel that im over-training. I rest enough, I eat healthy enough and I eat well, maybe not to your reccomendations. But all im going to say is it's working, and Morba what your saying is sounding a bit vague, explain please.

Caporegime
SK07 said:
But all im going to say is it's working, and Morba what your saying is sounding a bit vague, explain please.

Which bit is vague?
In all fairness a lot of people have put a lot of information up for you specifically, only for you to not read it or take notice of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom