OCUK Body Builders: Post your Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Jeffstar said:
Thanks for all the advice Jeffstar. Much appreciated. I've booked myself in for a gym tour, followed by an induction next week :D
fallbayuk said:
shifty_uk, what did you do in your old job?? Do you play sport? You're a lucky bugger to have a physique like that without even going to a gym!
I was a sales advisor, and I've never really been much of a sporty person. :(
Linoge said:
If you've not used a gym why do you call it 'progress', when it's not really a result of any direct weight lifting?

Have you been doing bodyweight exercises like pressups, chinups, etc?
Although I haven't used a gym or done any weight training, I do exercise at home. Using as you say, bodyweight exercises etc. :) I didn't know 'progress' was only associated with weight lifting?

Again, thanks all for the advice/comments.

Permabanned
megatron said:
Id suggest doing dips before triceps and possibly before benchpress (but some may have issues with their bench numbers not being as good as poss). Reason is its a compound movement and I believe compound should be done first then isolation (like triceps). With dips u are lifting your own bodyweight which is greater than your bench so, whichever is the most taxing Id do first.

U beat my bench ( I suck at it, and avoided it for a long time due to shoulder problems), but I squat more. I dont know if I have disproportionally stronger legs than the rest of me, maybe.

I did some deadlifts this week, never really worked them into my rountine before. I use an opposite grip (palms facing in opposite directions), then drag the bar close to the leg (touching really). I think the time u got to be weary is if ** fatigued or the weight is difficult, that u keep abs flexed.

Ok I'll give that a shot. I always keep bench press first as it is an exercise that takes a lot out of you.

I can do more on the Squats but again same as the deadlift I don't want to do any serious damage. I'll put it up higher though.

Soldato
megatron said:
Id suggest doing dips before triceps and possibly before benchpress (but some may have issues with their bench numbers not being as good as poss). Reason is its a compound movement and I believe compound should be done first then isolation (like triceps). With dips u are lifting your own bodyweight which is greater than your bench so, whichever is the most taxing Id do first.
Bench Press is also a compound movement. I'd say it's also a more taxing exercise than dips. Yes dips are usually heavier using bodyweight but then so are press-ups, hardly a taxing exercise.

Point is it doesn't always work like that. For example I can dip with a 45kg DB between my legs for 5 reps and I weight 100kg. I can't get anywhere near 5x145kg on bench press.

Associate
SK07, not really much point changing your weight amounts, doing 50 reps with 40k wont help at all.

Put some more weight on your deadlift, it wont do any damage, squatting 110k should put your deadlift to around 140-150, so go to maybe 120.

You might want to change from chest + biceps and back + triceps to chest + tri's and back and bi's, the main reason being that every chest exercise you do will involve your triceps.

Soldato
A fair suggestion. Personally I prefer Back, Tri's and Chest, bi's as I feel it gives me that little bit extra.

I'd watch out with the deadlift, Just because he can squat 110KG doesn't mean his DL will be at 140 or 150, it could just as easily be at 100KG. There are too many factors involved in DL to assume someones max. Just move up on the DL each week until you reach a good level and feel you can do 6 reps with good form, and then move up and so on.

Permabanned
Heaven Can Wait said:
SK07, not really much point changing your weight amounts, doing 50 reps with 40k wont help at all.

Put some more weight on your deadlift, it wont do any damage, squatting 110k should put your deadlift to around 140-150, so go to maybe 120.

You might want to change from chest + biceps and back + triceps to chest + tri's and back and bi's, the main reason being that every chest exercise you do will involve your triceps.

I'll stick it up but I just don't want to do it one day and hear something pop or crack.

Well what you've said I've noted cheers im changing it about in another week and a half anyway which makes up my 8 weeks of it.

Soldato
SK07 said:
im changing it about in another week and a half anyway which makes up my 8 weeks of it.
U posted your routine previously, are u going to change it now? What regime are u following?

Personally I do my own routine based around compound exercises but try to mix it up a little so my body doesnt get too used to 1 thing.

Permabanned
SK07 said:
I'll stick it up but I just don't want to do it one day and hear something pop or crack.

Well what you've said I've noted cheers im changing it about in another week and a half anyway which makes up my 8 weeks of it.

You said your form was spot on, if it is then nothing should go 'pop' or 'crack'. The only danger to lifting heavy is poor form, allowing your back to go out of position for example.

Your bench press numbers are impressive for someone who hasnt trained long. I cant do 85 for 10 let alone 3 sets of it, in fact i dont know anyone that i think could even though i know a few 140+ benchers.

Permabanned
oh btw, whats up with the price of unbranded whey on Myprotein? Earlier ChongWarrior was advocating its massive savings yet a 5k tub is like £50, i can get Optimum Nutrition 100%GS for that price and it tastes a lot better and has a better balance of components.

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
oh btw, whats up with the price of unbranded whey on Myprotein? Earlier ChongWarrior was advocating its massive savings yet a 5k tub is like £50, i can get Optimum Nutrition 100%GS for that price and it tastes a lot better and has a better balance of components.
5kg is £32 or you can get 10kg from MP for £62 including delivery if you use the pricematcher to it's full potential.

It used to be only £21 for 5kg just a month or so ago but there's a huge world wide whey shortage due to China suddenly developing a taste for dairy products so prices have shot up just lately.

Permabanned
Ultra_Extreme said:
You said your form was spot on, if it is then nothing should go 'pop' or 'crack'. The only danger to lifting heavy is poor form, allowing your back to go out of position for example.

Your bench press numbers are impressive for someone who hasnt trained long. I cant do 85 for 10 let alone 3 sets of it, in fact i dont know anyone that i think could even though i know a few 140+ benchers.

Well my form is right but like I said it's risky. The back is probly the most important thing in your body structure wise. If your back goes, then bye bye to whole lot of things.

Cheers, but I would say im naturally built. I wasn't raised on crisps and sweets, from a young age fed proper vegetables etc. By the time I hit 12 or something thats when I started consuming rubbish like crisps and eating pretty unhealthyly, lots of juice etc as well. Thats what gained me weight, but now I've completely changed my lifestyle with an aim to lose some body fat, tone up in general, gain strength and then completely bulk. One step at a time though, don't want to rush it as problems can occur.

Permabanned
megatron said:
U posted your routine previously, are u going to change it now? What regime are u following?

Personally I do my own routine based around compound exercises but try to mix it up a little so my body doesnt get too used to 1 thing.

I've been doing that routine for about a month. What I was going to do is the exact same program but for 1 month, cut the weight in half, for example take what I bench down to say 40KG and do a lot more reps to help strengthen the tendons and the small parts pretty much etc. What do you all think?

Permabanned
SK07 said:
I've been doing that routine for about a month. What I was going to do is the exact same program but for 1 month, cut the weight in half, for example take what I bench down to say 40KG and do a lot more reps to help strengthen the tendons and the small parts pretty much etc. What do you all think?

There is no evidence that i have read to suggest that high rep light weight will help 'strengthen' things like tendons etc. What strengthens the body is stressing it so that it becomes damaged and must repair itself. Whats important is your rest and nutrition in between heavy weight sessions. Focus on this

Permabanned
Ultra_Extreme said:
There is no evidence that i have read to suggest that high rep light weight will help 'strengthen' things like tendons etc. What strengthens the body is stressing it so that it becomes damaged and must repair itself. Whats important is your rest and nutrition in between heavy weight sessions. Focus on this

Rest is fine, roughly 8 hours sleep at night. Nutrition im still somewhat lost as im probly not eating near enough protein in a day that im "required" to. I eat healthy meals like for dinner 2 pieces of chicken without any sauce on it, vegetables like brussel sprouts, Also baked potato. but point is im still unsure about nutrition, or more like what nutrition I should be aiming for, what diet is right for me kinda thing.

So what do you reccommend on the weights then? if I keep doing the same thing for months and months will my body become adapted to it or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom