OCUK Body Builders: Post your Pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
ok beginners program, this is where i started and it gives you a good grounding for future training, take each excercise you already do on each day and simply apply the following format.

First find your 1RM (1 rep max weight) this should be done with a spotter as it has to be the absoloute maximum you can lift in any one discipline.

Then apply the following to your first week

8 reps x 50% 1RM
6 reps x 60% 1RM
6 reps x 70% 1RM
4 reps x 80% 1RM

Do four sets per excercise and note down your results each week. Every time you get a 'perfect' 8-6-6-4 out you should increase each weight by a suitable amount, in single arm lifts maybe only 1 or 2k and 2-5k for compounds.

Using this system you will develop strength and size and see your numbers go up all the time. You also should have plenty of warm up before it gets too heavy and also you will never be pushing more than 80% of your capability.

Do this for 2 months, then adapt it for strength by changing the reps down to 6-4-4-2 working with the percentages 70-75-80-90% 1RM

Do that for one month. After that you will be an intermediate trainer with a good foundation for trying out other programs and training styles.

Soldato
Ultra_Extreme said:
First find your 1RM (1 rep max weight) this should be done with a spotter as it has to be the absoloute maximum you can lift in any one discipline.
You think thats a good suggestion considering he is fearful of injuring himself? Especially when u just started training u wont know your limits too well.

I can say that I do not have a clue what my 1RM on any lift is since I am not a power lifter.

If I was a power lifter I would be gradually increasing my weights to go from 8 reps to 5 to 3-4 reps to 1 rep. Its not done all in 1 day.

Considering I dont consider the training aspect to be all that difficult to plan out, I think u've just about told him the worst thing to do. Taking into consideration what he's already said and no advice on finding a 1RM.

I have difficulty keeping depth when I up the weight in squats, probably a mental thing, but finding a 1RM is surely left to someone who has a years training behind them at least.

I suggest going to the myprotein.co.uk forum cause its got mindboggling amounts of data on diet and workouts.

Permabanned
megatron said:

I dont see the problem assuming he's not stupid and can maintain form. Its not exactly difficult to work out the most you can lift in a discipline. Do it with a known weight, oh look i can do 2 or more, put it up and try again until you cant, hardly rocket science.

Permabanned
Hmmm, okay thanks for that UEX.

But so I can learn and eventually figure out which direction I'll head in the rest of you, chong mega etc can post up what you think I should do in terms of the program.

Permabanned
SK07 said:
Hmmm, okay thanks for that UEX.

But so I can learn and eventually figure out which direction I'll head in the rest of you, chong mega etc can post up what you think I should do in terms of the program.

If your gonna listen to those guys, you can still do the same program, you just need to ESTIMATE your 1RM, whatever you can do for say 4 reps for failure is probably about 85% of your 1RM. Like for example your 1RM on the bench is probably about 105-110kgs if your doing 85x10x3. So maybe try 95k and make sure you can get 4 out and if you can you have your starting point. To be honest the biggest limiting factor in bodybuilding is peoples reluctance to lift heavy.

This does not mean put yourself at risk what it means is don't doubt your capability. My mate came over for a train the other day and wanted to do a 10 rep warmup set. He loads 30K on the bar, i look sideways at him and say "what the hell is that?" i then double it to 60k and say "THATS a warm up set", the reason being this is a guy who benches 110 raw (unassisted), because he's naturally strong. But because he has always warmed up light in the past he was convinced that starting on 60k was 'mad'. But the simple fact is, if your max lift is 75k, then a 60k warmup would be mad, but when you can lift over 100k its relativley light as a feather. "If you could bench 200k would you still warm up on 30k?" i ask him to which he responds, "i suppose not".

Simple fact is because somethings relatively heavy doesnt mean you should fear it. If you know what you CAN lift then everything else falls into place, this is the result of learning your capabilities and working to your bodies potential. If you dont try to exceed your ability you wont develop. You could lift 85 for 10 every week but if the muscle isnt having to work hard then you'll be stuck there forever.

Permabanned
^Even though what your saying makes sense I do not know really where to start. But point is lifting way over what I usually would, would that not just pull a muscle or cause some serious strain which in turn could leave me not being able to do anything at the gym for a month or more, which I don't want.

I warm up on the bench press on 70KG, then move up to 85KG. I get the whole pushing bounderies but you don't want to push to much no? im no expert but piling on more weight than your even used to is a bit dangerous no?

Im not feared of putting weight up at all. It's on the deadlift as it involves the back, one thing I don't want to damage, or even be left with problems later in life.

Permabanned
SK07 said:

wouldnt like to say either way m8, dont want to get you hurt. All i can say is personally i just push as hard as i can to keep to my targets, targets that i set based on what knowledge i have of my body and its capabilities. You'll be surprised how much better and stronger you are than you 'think' you are

Caporegime
SK07 said:
^Even though what your saying makes sense I do not know really where to start. But point is lifting way over what I usually would, would that not just pull a muscle or cause some serious strain which in turn could leave me not being able to do anything at the gym for a month or more, which I don't want.

I warm up on the bench press on 70KG, then move up to 85KG. I get the whole pushing bounderies but you don't want to push to much no? im no expert but piling on more weight than your even used to is a bit dangerous no?

Im not feared of putting weight up at all. It's on the deadlift as it involves the back, one thing I don't want to damage, or even be left with problems later in life.

If you want to grow, you need to break the muscle. not overly rip it apart obviously, but growth comes from tearing the muscle and helping it repair.

70kg is a terrible warmup weight considering you do 85kg.

Permabanned
Morba said:
If you want to grow, you need to break the muscle. not overly rip it apart obviously, but growth comes from tearing the muscle and helping it repair.

70kg is a terrible warmup weight considering you do 85kg.

Well what you rec I warmup on? 70KG feels fine.

Caporegime
1 set at 50% of your working rate
1 set at 75%
if needed 1 more set at 85-90%

a warm up is just that, warming up. you start with something that needs some strength, but its not meant to tax you.
prepare yourself to do your best at your working sets.

you said form is great, but yet not being warmed up can lead to poor form.

Soldato
I tend to do the following warm-up for each exercise:

50% x 8-10 reps
75% x 3 reps
85% x 3 reps

You need to find the warm-up system that works for YOU. This will take time.

When I was 18 or so, I had never been injured and sometimes would go straight to maximum, but as I got older and did experience injuries, I learnt that warming up the muscle (group) is very important.

Permabanned
^Well I'll try it at half of the weight which should be fine, cheers.

Alough my other problem is im at a bit of a stand still on the diet. I have no idea what I should be eating. Problem is you could give me a diet plan yes but I can't seem to explain what my goal is. I want to lose body fat since it's especially around the stomach area, even though im doing ab exercises my stomach still seems like a small belly.

I want to lose body fat but I like doing my weights. I understand I can't bulk and cut at the same time. However there is no harm in me doing my weight program and having a diet that is for losing body fat is there? I really don't know how else to explain it so maybe some of you can make something of that.

Currently I do what I do above and around 15-25 mins cardio on a high resistance. I do want to eventually bulk but I really do want to lose body fat, it's a priority.

Soldato
SK07 said:
^Well I'll try it at half of the weight which should be fine, cheers.

Alough my other problem is im at a bit of a stand still on the diet. I have no idea what I should be eating. Problem is you could give me a diet plan yes but I can't seem to explain what my goal is. I want to lose body fat since it's especially around the stomach area, even though im doing ab exercises my stomach still seems like a small belly.

I want to lose body fat but I like doing my weights. I understand I can't bulk and cut at the same time. However there is no harm in me doing my weight program and having a diet that is for losing body fat is there? I really don't know how else to explain it so maybe some of you can make something of that.

Currently I do what I do above and around 15-25 mins cardio on a high resistance. I do want to eventually bulk but I really do want to lose body fat, it's a priority.
If u are currently over 10% bf then acording to this artical you are doing what u should do. Although its not a diet, it talks about bodyfat and bulking for a natural bodybuilder.

Edit:
Here is artical:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

Last edited:
Permabanned
megatron said:
If u are currently over 10% bf then acording to this artical you are doing what u should do. Although its not a diet, it talks about bodyfat and bulking for a natural bodybuilder.

Well im around 23% body fat. I just feel it could be lower thats all. Under 20% would be great as well.

Permabanned
SK07 said:
Well im around 23% body fat. I just feel it could be lower thats all. Under 20% would be great as well.

You wont lose belly fat doing sit ups, lol sorry that made me chuckle cos when i was a little fat 13 year old i would do sit ups religiously thinking id get a 6 pack.

Its all body fat, whether its arms, face stomach or thighs. You lose weight all over when you lose it and sadly for a lot of us blokes the midsection is the last to go. I can see the definition in my quads ffs but i have a 2 inch 'ring' of fat right around my lower belly, frigging annoying cos i eat cleaner and more religeously than almost anyone i know!!!

Soldato
From what you have already said SK07, you are a naturally big, strong person. If I were you, I would concentrate on simply bringing down the body fat levels, with a view to getting bigger/stronger as the secondary goal. To achieve this concentrate on using more calories than you consume - weights combined with cycling/swimming/running/rowing, etc will work nicely. Once you have brought yourself down to an acceptable body fat level, then begin a bulking phase.

If however, you want to look like one of those strong-man types (ie. big, possibly fat, but very very strong, shaved head and tatoos optional), then ditch the aerobics, eat like a horse and push those weights ever upwards.

Ultimately, its all about the sort of physique/performance that YOU want. Not everyone wants the same. EG. I wouldnt want to look like the fat/strong-man type, but I'm sure there are loads out there who work very hard to achieve that look/peformance-level.

BTW, has anyone tried out Gaspari Nutrition's Superpump 250? Ive been using it for about 4 months now and without a doubt its the most potent supplement Ive ever used (and Ive used plenty inc those by Reflex, San and Nutrobolics). It gives you great focus and immediately allows you to lift heavier, for longer with little muscular pain from lactic acid build-up.

Permabanned
Okay I want to do as you say, primary goal is to lose the body fat, secondary is to then bulk. The fat strongman thing isn't me tbh lol. Im not crying for a six pack all I want is a flat stomach. I want to lose body fat all round though so that my arms are more thiner so it shows big arms muscle rather than just big arms muscle with a layer of fat hiding it. Im not obese needing a huge diet just want to drop the body fat levels right down, however it's easier said than done.

But another question I want to ask is. If I am in the stage of dropping the body fat levels down, should I continue doing my weights program? I do enjoy it but will it affect losing body fat at all?

And I seriously need help with all the dieting, I've read things and what not but how to know what ones right for me? Heres the good news though, I drink only water (rarely drink alc now) around 2-3l a day. I eat a lot healthier. Anyway if you could possibly give me an example day for what were talking about really, for the diet that is, then we can move to the actual body fat losing gym program.

Soldato
When dropping body fat levels, the key thing to remember is to use (through exercise and regular activity) more calories than you consume. It really is as simple as that. Dont go on a starvation diet though, as you will lose a lot of muscle this way. I'm sure someone here will go through with you of a what body fat reduction diet would consist of.

Myself, when I lose bodyfat, I tend to concentrate on eating lots of lean chicken/tuna with little fat and a few carbs. I also use an ECA stack which I find helps me a lot. When I'm bulking I tend to eat till I cant eat anymore. When Im shedding bodyfat, I tend to eat so that I still feel a little hungry when finished.

You have to experiment and do what works for you. I cant emphasise this enough. What works for me wont necessarily work for you and vice versa.

When reducing body fat, I do weights and cardio. When bulking I only do weights.

When shedding bodyfat, it is important to continue weight training as this will help preserve that hard-earned muscle when you body wants to catabolise it for energy. Top body builders will always incorporate weight training when shedding bodyfat.

You sure you dont want to look like:
http://www.fitclothing.com/skin1/images/adriansmith_lg.jpg
;)

Soldato
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

Thats the artical I missed in my previous post.

I would eat like a bodybuilder, eat every 3 hours with protein. Personally I dont time it too much but I try to eat 5 meals a day. Ive got time to eat a proper meal, its like Id eat a healthy meal as a normal will have once in the evening. Ill have an omlette for breakfast.

If I get up in the night and am hungry, Ill neck a raw egg. Also I do this after a lifting session if Im walking home (10min walk).

I also go for a jog in the park once a week, but its more like "cross-country" running cause of the inclines (muddy track). I guess its about 20min jog, but I feel better cause it gives the digestion system a kick and I end up heavier than when I went out strangely.

I think the best idea is to cook a packet of 4 chicken breast or packet of mince and that should do you for a day and a bit (depending on who else is cooking for you). I have a tin of tomatoes and kidney beans and cook it all in a pan. Just like training though, variety is key.

Thats how I eat and Ive gone from 11.5st to 13st in a couple of months (go back to when I first posted in this thread).

If you want to diet like you are cutting, then u still need to eat 5 times a day (or more). Im absolutely not an expert on any of this but since u keep asking for diets and no one is chipping in...

If u want to do a cut (which is probably what u are after), forget crisps and soft drinks; they dont exist on the menu. I saw this program called "babyfaced bodybuilders" and this 17 year old said that his cutting diet was "fish & ricecake", 2hours later, "fish", 2hours later "fish & ricecake" ad nauseum.

Id like to know more about these suppliments that they are talking about on myprotein.co.uk, Ive only ever bought about 2 tubs of protein powder. I wasnt all that impressed tbh.

I wouldnt mind getting a half decent PWO shake though with some maldex and dextrose or W.E., cause as I said its a raw egg atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom