OcUK DDoS attack - £10,000 reward

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's crazy when you google this, just shows how quickly information spreads nowadays. Of course, this can only work in OcUK's favour. At the very least it may intimidate the attacker.

I don't see how this'll work in OcUK's favour.

1. People coming out the shadows to comment on how awful the customer service they received was.

2. Customers having to call 0870 numbers to order anything.

3. People will just go elsewhere as they can't access the shop and won't want to rack up a phone bill.

I thought OcUK would have had protection from these sorts of attack, since they rely mainly on the shop for their income. I'm not network expert though, so I dunno how you prevent DDoS or whatever.

As has been remarked already you can't really stop DDoS attacks, you can just mitigate their effects (or better still - operate in a manner which makes them unlikely in the first place). The parallels with 9/11 are striking.

I have to say (again) that DDoS'ing on this sort of scale isn't a trivial action, it takes a level of disgruntlement and determination that transcends most "script kiddy" attacks. Having Google'd OCUK as a result of this DDoS I'm shocked at the amount of negative opinion out there :(

I think the forum rules are pretty clear, if you want to **** off OCUK, do it somewhere else. Of course you're entitled to your free speech but why should they entertain it on their own forums? You don't pay the bills for the forum, you're just privelidged to get the use of them.

This is like terrorism - you cannot win if you have to react.

A better ploy would have been do not act in a way that creates hate.

Would have saved thousands.
I'm sorry if the above analogy flew over your head, but I thought it was quite poignant. The point is - if through your actions (or inactions) you drive people to desperate measures maybe you should look closer to home for ways to stop them occuring in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom