OcUK Dieters Progress Thread

Associate
Fruit and fibre is lovely but it has quite a bit of sugar. Most cereal does, that's why weetabix/oats tend to be the holy grail.

On my mass loss "thing" I tended to avoid sugar and saturated fat. The lack of sugar in my diet basically killed most of my cravings.

Refined sugar is the devil's work don't you know!

Soldato
Having started at 22 stone just over 6 years ago, I was diagnosed with diabetes because of my weight. I hadn't really done anything about it, just took my tablets.

Recently I decided to do something about my weight and here is what I found. No amount of dieting helped! I have found that eating little but often helped most. I eat 5 times a day, but eat little portions. I don't deny myself anything, so if I want to eat some chocolate, I eat chocolate.

As of today, I am 17 stone. I took this outlook to dieting in march of last year. It doesn't feel like proper dieting because I eat cakes (although rarely now) and find that I don't really miss anything.

A typical day for me would involve cereal for breakfast, tea and two slices of toast at 1130, a sandwich for lunch with maybe some fruit. Whatever I felt like for evening meal and some fruit or pack of crisps/yoghurt before bed.

I don't really excercise at the moment, but Im sure that when I do, the weight will come off even easier.

The trouble I found with dieting is that when you loose weight and then stop dieting, you put it all back on. You also feel like crud because you are eating boring food like cardboard (scanbran anyone) or bland food like 1 cal jelly.

It may have taken a year, but Im 5 stone lighter and it doesn't feel like Ive been trying. In fact the other night I treated myself to a kebab. In my mind, dieting is psychologoical. The more you deny yourself, the easier it will be to put it all back on later.

This comes from a compulsive comfort eater too, so if I can loose weight then you can too.

Permabanned
Lostkat said:
<snip> and I do feel lots better etc.
May I draw your attention to this bit?

Focus on the positive - your weight's down overall and you feel lots better. :)
Don't let the one little negative get you down, everyone has hiccups along the way.

I thought you looked very attractive at the camping meet btw - I just thought I'd wait till I was a safe distance before telling you ;)

Bhuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnaaaaaaaaa!

Soldato
Treefrog said:

Don't let the one little negative get you down, everyone has hiccups along the way.

I thought you looked very attractive at the camping meet btw - I just thought I'd wait till I was a safe distance before telling you ;)

She's gorgeous!

As Treefrog says, don't get down over this sweetie, you're working hard for this and you know it'll pay off. Unless you've put on a tremendous amount of weight since camping I think you're silly to be so concerned about losing weight anyway - you've got a lovely figure! Healthy eating I've no problem with, keep it up (I'm trying!!!), but don't be too bothered about what the scales say.
What Roberta has said sounds like a very good idea. I'd much prefer to feel my jeans hanging loosely on me than see I've lost 2 pounds on the scales!

I have a little request, although it might be best to start it in a new thread so mat please say so if this isn't worth being in here.
I'm struggling to think of new meals to make myself each night so I was hoping some of you could share a few recipes (healthy of course ;)). I'm simply using chicken or mince with whatever you want to with it really (potatoes, veg etc). I'm cooking cajun chicken (nat yoghurt and cajun spice on my george foreman mmmm!) with baby potatoes and veg tomorrow and then I might have chicken curry (low fat curry sauce) with brown rice the night after, but I'm so quickly running out of ideas with only really liking chicken/turkey and mince :o
Any suggestions would be amazing, healthy healthy healthy pleeeeaseee!
(As said, I shall edit post and start another thread if you like Mat, thanks :))

Keep up the good work folks xxx

Soldato
Jen, there's sooooo many meals you can make.

People regard the word healthy too highly i think.

Anything home made is healthy (some things even in moderation)

With chicken the possiblities are endless.

Some favorites are -

Chicken sliced open and filled with stuffing (wrap in foil and cook)
Sliced and diced chicken in gravy with onions and peas.
Chicken in breadcrumbs
Cajun chicken
Morrocon (sp?) chicken
Tandoori chicken
Curry (any kind really)

My personal fav is Chicken rosotto

So simple.

It's just rice, peas, sweetcorn, peppers, onions, chicken and of course some nice chicken stock all mixed together.

Mince is just the normal really -

Lasagne
Spaghetti bolgnese
Shepherds pie
Fav - Chilli Con Carne

You can always make a short crust top and make a chicken pie with cream of chicken soup or sauce or with the mince.

Also another fav is chicken in white wine.

Always end up using 2 bottles though as i drink 1 whilst cooking it without realising :(

Give me some more ingredients and i shall give you more ideas if you're stuck.

As i say it's all good in moderation and i tend to eat a lot of rice as it's better than pasta i feel (doesn't make you bloated) and it sustains you for the rest of the day.

Tip - ALWAYS cook too much rice as you can use it the next day for a rice salad.

Andy

Soldato
Treefrog said:

Jenjey said:
She's gorgeous!

As Treefrog says, don't get down over this sweetie, you're working hard for this and you know it'll pay off. Unless you've put on a tremendous amount of weight since camping I think you're silly to be so concerned about losing weight anyway - you've got a lovely figure! Healthy eating I've no problem with, keep it up (I'm trying!!!), but don't be too bothered about what the scales say.
What Roberta has said sounds like a very good idea. I'd much prefer to feel my jeans hanging loosely on me than see I've lost 2 pounds on the scales!

Awww, thanks guys. Means a lot when people say nice things like that, especially when they mean them :) The camping meet pictures were actually the ones which made me realise that I needed to do something, but it's taken until now to get my bum into gear. I've not put any weight on since then, but in the group photo my arms look huge, and my belly is sticking out where Leon is holding me. It looks awful, and I have actually looked better than that before. The lightest I've ever been is about 4-5lbs from where I am now. I wasn't happy with that either, but at least if I can get there for a start all my jeans will fit again :)

I'm quite good at hiding my flab in the clothes I wear, but I'd love to be able to wear hipsters (I've never been able to before because of where my fat is). I guess that's my aim really. No idea if it'll ever happen, because that bit doesn't seem to have changed even over the 3 stone loss, but if I don't try, I'll never know.

Jen - try flavoured cous cous (you can get <1% fat stuff that's lovely) and salad with your cajun or grilled chicken. Also, stir fry. Get a little pack of stir fry veg from the supermarket, and hey presto. I really enjoy stir fry, and it's soooo good for you :) Oven roasted veg (cherry tomatoes, courgettes, red onion, etc.) is also good as long as you don't use too much oil.

Off Ice Skating with some people from work tonight anyway, so I guess that'll have to do for exercise. Might go on the treadmill when I get home, depending on how my legs are. Thighs aren't painful anymore, but they're still hurting.

Gilly - Shreddies!!

Soldato
Kate , I know exactly how you are feeling

I just don't seem to be able to drop any weight at all since I hit 8st 7/8lbs ! .. It's just not going ANYWHERE .. it's fluctuating a little bit but I've yet to drop below 8st 7lbs

Desmo is eating the same as me ( but bigger portions and also some fattier things ) I'm doing more cardio , I'm walking a mile a day going back and fore to work yet he's dropping a lb every day more or less

It's left me feeling very unmotivated and I keep thinking what's the ******* point of putting all this effort it when nothing is happening :(

I know my contraceptive implant is playing up so I can only think it may be that , I'm getting it removed as soon as I can anyway , I can only hope I will start to see some drops once it's out otherwise I give up :/

Soldato
Gilly said:
I've decided to go on a health binge :) I'm cutting down on the beers (except on OcUK meets ofc) and have just finished a salad. And that is VERY unusual for me..

Oh I see...

So if i wear pink and shave my legs then IM gay...but you eating a salad is fine?

Damn your hypocrisy gilly...

Salads are for GIRLS and POOFS..

Soldato
Piggymon said:
Kate , I know exactly how you are feeling

I just don't seem to be able to drop any weight at all since I hit 8st 7/8lbs ! .. It's just not going ANYWHERE .. it's fluctuating a little bit but I've yet to drop below 8st 7lbs

Desmo is eating the same as me ( but bigger portions and also some fattier things ) I'm doing more cardio , I'm walking a mile a day going back and fore to work yet he's dropping a lb every day more or less
:/

Its no good comparing yourself to a bloke pigs....Womens bodies not only need more bodyfat but they also hold onto it harder...Especially at your size where theres not too much to lose..

Losing the last bit is always the hardest...your body does not like giving up the fat...It needs the fat, it wants the fat..You gotta force it to give it up and that, sadly, may take a little time.

Soldato
Piggymon said:
otherwise I give up :/
No. No you won't :)

I'll do some more reading to find something else that might work better for you. We'll try something else and we'll find something that works.

As Balddog says, you can't compare yourself to my losses as we're all different. In the same way I couldn't compare myself to MB, Lostkat or any others in this thread. We'll all lose in a different way and at a different rate.

Chin up my pigster :)

Soldato
OP
Stick with the weights Piggy, I've seen girls work themselves to death every morning for a year with almost zero loss, only to find that some lifting made all the difference.

The other thing is that if you are putting muscle on then you might end up being the shape you want without losing a pound, you might just swap fat weight for muscle weight, this won't make you the same size because muscle is denser then fat so a pound of fat has 4 times the volume of a pound of muscle.

fatmuscle0ly.jpg

If you want to change your training methods you could consider Body for Life, its a program of lifting and cardio which has proven results. If you buy the book you have to read around the Americanism of it all but the program beneath is solid :)

MB

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I did an aerobics class last night called "20/20", twenty min of step, twenty mins of aerobics and twenty minutes of stretches and sit ups :)

Really enjoyed it as it was a bit of variety, going to salsa class tonight, Ill let you know how it goes :D

Soldato
Piggymon said:
I can only hope I will start to see some drops once it's out otherwise I give up :/

You cant give up!!!! :(

Just think how many people in here are spurring you on, we are all in the same boat you know, thats why we are all here, to lose some weight and to generally feel better about ourselves.

Ive only been on my diet for a week, but I'm noticing improvements already, all I can do is send good vibes!!!! Just think how brilliant you will feel once you hit your target!!!! :D:D

Back
Top Bottom