OcUK Dieters Progress Thread

Sone said:
slightly ot, but can anyone confirm that guiness has less calories than lager/bitter? i love the stuff but stopped having it and EVEN drinking lager sometimes as everyone told me it was lower in calories but http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/calories/calorie_counter.htm seems to think different

If i have put up for lager for a few months when i could have had guiness and its better for me i'll cry :(

It depends on what lager you have been drinking to be honest.

Pint of Stella Artois (5.2 per cent ABV) 237 calories

Pint of Boddingtons Draughtflow (3.8 per cent) 181 calories

Pint of Heineken Cold Filtered (3.4 per cent) 158 calories

Pint of Hoegaarden (5.0 per cent) 267 calories

330ml bottle of Clausthaler low-alcohol lager (0.5 per cent) 92 calories

Pint of Fullers ESB (5.5 per cent) 277 calories

Pint of Guinness (4.1 per cent) 198 calories

Hi everyone,

I have put myself on a diet as well, so I might as well tell you all. I have been on my diet for 4 weeks now, and I have lost 8kg. So hopefully by the summer I will have reached my target weight of 102Kg. At the moment I am training 5 times a week, 1 hour~ish work-out, rest days in between, 40 mins doing CV, then around 20 mins using light weights, then I relax in the Sauna. I have cut out Guinness, sweets, chocolate, biscuits, and junk food, I have never smoked either. I think I am eating a bit more sensible, I even eat Breakfast as well, which is a right turn around for me, and I am drinking plenty of water as well.

I have already booked an holiday, so that keeps me motivated all the time, plus I have lots of clothes that I couldn't fit into, and some of them look brand new, and now I can get into some of them, so I am really pleased, and it makes me go for it even more :)

GordyR said:
I've even heard PT's tell women not to squat or their legs will get too big! :rolleyes:

I have trouble getting my clients to use weights as they're all female and are always scared that they'll get big muscles from the endurance program I write for them! They're usually fine after I've explained they'd have to train at very high levels and for a long time most days of the week to get like that!

BrightonBelle said:
Never nice when something like that happens :(

I've not trusted the PT's in my gym since one of them told me to do abs crunches in a position that's awful for your lower back. Never bothered going to once since. However, when I lost my 3 stone, it was a gym instructor who told me what I needed to do... and it worked :)

One of my best mates is a PT/gym instructor, and he was on my biology course at uni, so I trust him and he knows what he's talking about. Seeing him in a couple of weeks, and he's going to take me down his gym and give me a few pointers.

I'm currently doing warm up on the bike, 50min cardio and some weights at the moment, and going to Body Pump, but I just want to make sure that I'm doing everything I possibly can to get in shape and build muscle.

Although I don't participate in this thread I thought I would inform you that I have found out about this excellent nutrition and dietary book called Pump Energy Food.

After reading a couple of reviews of the book and looking on their website I can see from my own limited knowledge on nutrition that they know what they are talking about.
Even though I have some knowledge on nutrition I still decided to buy the book because I don't know any good recipes but there are loads in the book apparantly.

My diet is currently appauling as some of my meals are pizza's and other meals are fried like bacon. My only healthy meals being chicken, scampi and porridge (for breakfast)- and then seeds and nuts for snacks.

But I will follow the recipes in this book and I might post back here some time in the future and tell you how successful I was with the book/ how good I think the book is.

At the end of the book apparantly there are two 2 week guides for bulking and leaning
The book concludes by providing two separate two-week meal plans, one for people trying to bulk up, and the other for those aiming to get lean. And yes, both incorporate recipes.

I'm not some advertising gimp trying to pimp this book honest! I just read about it and thought it looked so good that I'd buy it and tell you guys about it.

well- update time :)

managed to smash my personal best on the elliptical cross trainer (now 12 mins :) )

have upped the reps on all sets with the weights, and have also upped the weight on the leg press and shoulder press.

general fitness continues to improve, and my flexibility is now noticably better. my breathing is less laboured generally. feeling good!

muscle tone has definitely started to get better- my biceps especially feel a lot harder.

the back exercises are paying off- my back is measurably straighter, and aches less (and my arse doesnt stick out as much :) )

the gf says im definitely looking better, and im not as big around as i was- so im easier to hug (woohoo!)

im really getting into the gym thing now...

doesnt sound like much, i know, but when you consider i have lost a stone(now 29 instead of 30) and i was totally sedentary for 10 years...

:D

TG

Nice one WS_TailGunner, glad you're doing so well!! Mastering the crosstrainer can be a very satisfying thing. I have the time thing sorted now (25 mins, but started out dying after about 5), but I'm slowly working my way up the levels. When I get bored, I'll go onto the hillclimber... it looks like a killer, but I'm assured that it does wonders for your bum :D

well today was hard.. Its always fish and chips at work on a friday.. Humm they smelled so nice but I ressited..

Also anyone got any pointers on the leg press? I do 150kilos 10 reps 3 sets. Now I could up the weight but I't doesn't feel safe, as my knees feel like there going to pop. Is there any way of strenghtining the knees for this?

Well done WS_TailGunner, glad to hear your seeing and liking the improvments keep up the hard work.. :)

Hmm well it was the second week and despite watching calories and going to the gym 4 times this week, my weight has stayed the same but an overall gain of 1/2kg since I started 2 weeks ago. I really am puzzled as to why Im not getting anywhere despite putting a lot of work in at the gym and eating really carefully. :confused:

edit: Also someone said to me the other day that every pound lost equates to about 2500-3000 calories, so to have a health weight loss regime, you're supposed to lose a days food by excercise and cutting calories. Is there any truth in this ?

Last edited:
Well last night I went off the wagon a bit and had 7 pints of cobra and 3 courses at a nice indian in Bethnal Green called Agra. There was an asian elvis impersonator called Sal who was awesome. Had a 20 minute swim in the morning and going to be playing football tomorrow before weighing myself on Monday.

Forgive me lord for I have sinned.

Today was my last exam of semester one at Uni, and I got the following email a couple fo days ago from a member of academic staff:

To all Computer Science, Computer Science + E-business, Computing + Management finalist students,

CELEBRATION - BEER, SOFT DRINKS, SNACKS

We have a lot of things to celebrate: <snip>

My exam finished at 5:30 and the meeting started at 5:45 so it'd be rude not too.

I arrived and got through 4 bottles of stella and a can of john smith's before stuff ran out. I feel this isn't too bad as I don't plan on drinkign anymore tonight despite this being a big milestone in my final year. It's also the first time I've drunk since new years eve so I've not done bad.

Back on the bandwagon tomorrow!

Did an hour of badders last night, and walked into the town centre today, which is good for me considering I get out of breath walking up the stairs :p

And my jeans feel loose!!!! Roll on Monday morning weigh in!!!! :D

Started back at the gym today, Did the navy test on the treadmill and climed 30 meters over 2.4Km, did over 3000 meters on the rower and did most of the weight machines to get my muscle going.

Going again on monday.

Well I've had a rubbish week :(

Back has been playing up a little so only managed to do my training on Monday and I ballsed up my timing with the hairdressers today .. thought it was at 1pm but it was at 10.30 so I couldn't go to bodypump with Desmo's sister :/

We've kinda figured out at the moment my diet and excercise is fine for maintaining weight but no good for me dropping - plus my implant is playing havoc with my hormones so that's probably not helping either :(

I'm going to change my diet and only have spaghetti on toast for my evening meal during the week ( do this on training nights anyway and don't mind it ) and then eat normally on the weekend but still not eating sweets/chocolates etc

If I only have to do this for a few months and then go back to what we are doing now to maintain the weight that's fine .. also hopefully going to start doing the bodypump on a monday instead of my routine so that might kick start it

Not looking forward to the weigh in :/

Hopefully, if the weather is nice tomorrow morning, i will be going for another bike ride down the seafront. I have given my bike a check over today, as well as buy a speedo for it so i can keep an eye on my progress, like improving average speed and the amount of time its takes to do the journey.

I may even take my camera with me and try and get some nice pictures.

Back
Top Bottom