OcUK Dieters Progress Thread

Soldato
Excellent. It's far better to keep yourself motivated by seeing how the clothes fit you than by getting upset because you haven't dropped down to a certain weight.

Soldato
A little update on myself, start weight was 21st 4lb, I have now got fed up of the scales that were telling me I was now 18 something, and switched to the other pair (start weight on both was 21, 4), and I'm getting a much more believable figure now, I'm now 20st exactly, w00t, 4/5 more stones to go tho...

Soldato
I'm thinking of signing up to a karate club, think its a good idea, i know it sounds silly but i feel a little old for all this karate club business (i know i know im only 19). I feel i'll be the only old person there.

Anyway a guy is coming round to my house in a minute to talk to me about this, i did ask him and he say we cover a range of ages 5+. But what does that mean?

It's weird because i've been telling myself i need to join some kind of jujitsu class or something and suddenly today our local karate club (which i didnt even know we have) knocks at my door asking me am i interested.

I don't really know why i posted this i think i just wanted some form of support, especially after Piggys dreadful body pump class to begin with!

Soldato
Lostkat said:
What do you have to lose if you give it a go? Norralot :) Go for it

Thats what i keep telling myself, but still nobody likes looking like a fool.

Wouldn't mind kick boxing either, any kind of club would be good. Still mean to get back into my swimming, but i feel the same again, i need to join a club to keep me working hard but i feel too old for that too. All the swimming clubs i see are for young people, and if adults are involved its mostly professional, which im certainly not anymore.

What would i wear for karate, on my first visit? =/ Why do i worry so much!? :D

Soldato
We all worry about trying new things. It's only natural :)

I'd just wear something comfortable like joggers and a t-shirt. Stop stressing/ Just get stuck in and see if you enjoy it.

If not, look for another similar kind of club elsewhere. Don't give up!

Permabanned
LeperousDust said:
What would i wear for karate, on my first visit? =/ Why do i worry so much!? :D
Jeans/joggers and a rugby shirt.
Dunno - everyone else will be there for the karate, not sitting there hoping for someone to turn up for them all to stare at. And even if they did - they don't know you from Adam. Stop worrying and start doing. The only person who never makes a mistake is the person who never does anything.

Soldato
Been using the gym these last two weeks which is a step away from the bodyweight exercises I had been employing.

Squats and Deadlifts are not my friends.

Soldato
Ok thought I would add to this bad boy thread,

Been trying to lose weight since xmas time, so far lost 1 stone due to eating in moderation (but generally not watching what I eat) and running 2-3 times a week while playing 5 a side on tuesday, only another stone to lose before I start really hitting the weights again.

starting weight was around 110/11 now around 104, dont really want to hit the gym lots as I am already of a decent size.

Any way just thought I would add my bit to this before I go for a run.

KaHn

Soldato
Thanks LK and TF youre both totally correct. He's here in half an hour, i can't see what i've got to lose at all. Although i will have to buy some joggers. I haven't had any in years, just jeans and unsuitable pants which i can't see me doing anything like karate in.

Soldato
My class today didn't half gurn at the squats and lunges I made them do! I could tell it was working!

I remember having to do The Clean for my Gym Instructor qualification. Now that's one you really have to work at to master!

Soldato
I'm lunging light at the moment as I try to get form down but I'll let you know how i feel about them in a week or two.

Will probably be crossing those off my christmas card list as well.

Soldato
Whenever I'm home I usually have the kids like tonight (until I go to work) which means I can't easily get out to a gym. I got an exercise bike and do 5 miles as quick as I can every day on a reasonably hard setting to get the blood pumping.

My aim isn't really to lose weight as mentioned previously but I am feeling better after a couple of weeks of healthier diet and limited exercise than I did before. I'm thinking about increasing the exercise now which can only be good.

Soldato
As I guessed I didn't lose any weight last week but considering what I was eating and drinking I'm also glad I didn't put any on :)

Put together a meal today that I quite enjoyed and was really easy that I'm going to start making in the morning and taking to uni. All it was was a tin of tuna mixed with some cottage cheese (instead of mayo), some lemon juice, pepper and spring onion all packed into two pieces of pitta bread. Should be a decent source of protein :)

Also I went to the gym on Friday just for a shower before seeing my gf and saw a personal trainer who in their interview had to come and talk to me while I was exercising before the recruiter for the gym came and asked me what I thought of him. I like to think that my glowing recommendation got him the job :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Lostkat said:
Clean and press? I have the technique spot on, but I am yet to add serious weights... Maybe in a few weeks :D

I just remember when we were first talked through it 'Deadlift the weight, upright row, bar to chest, up on the toes, elbows up and under, bend the knees....' we were all going 'You what with the what now?'!

Soldato
Well the dude just came round, and sadly i can't go cause none of the class times line up with my days off or time off after work etc.. :(

My job has me in silly shifts at times, and it rules most stuff out. Oh well, had my hopes up then too, he was the most confident, nice rep i've ever spoken too. He said we could work something out were i go to more than one of their clubs but i turned it down. Because it wouldnt have the same 'class' feel because i'd only be there every other week in each club.

Instead i'm going down the gym tomorrow and i'm gonna see what they have on offer, i'll start swimming again and i should be able to do that after work. A bonus being i'll miss the rush hour traffic on my way home too (well on my normal week).

Even though nothing came of my karate i'm really in the mood to getting fit again.

Soldato
I tore my calf playing football today so that's laid me up for 2-3 weeks, possibly more depending on how it develops. It's so frustrating because I felt I was making real progress with my fitness. :(

Back
Top Bottom