• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RTX4070 review thread

OcUK Staff
In other good news, the recent stronger pound has had a nice impact on 4090 pricing, quite a few cards now starting at £1599 :)

Associate
Hoping some madlad does a comparison of all the available 4070s.

Most of the benches I’ve seen of the OC cards show the FE beating it which is weird as the FE has a lower boost clock.

I really want to find out which card is the coolest/quietest and ideally with a factory OC that offers a decent boost over the FE/reference models.

Debating buying a 4070 as for my 1440p games it will be sufficient and access to dlss 3.0 is a bonus for me.

Last edited:
Associate
I just ordered the ASUS dual, had decent cooling/noise levels from the tpu review, current card is gtx 1660,

I think those complaining already have good gpu's and are disappointed by the generational upgrade, those of us with older slower cards see it as getting a rtx3080 style speed for 100w less power draw, smaller form factor, and lower msrp.

Soldato
I just ordered the ASUS dual, had decent cooling/noise levels from the tpu review, current card is gtx 1660,

I think those complaining already have good gpu's and are disappointed by the generational upgrade, those of us with older slower cards see it as getting a rtx3080 style speed for 100w less power draw, smaller form factor, and lower msrp.
Yeah, I think I saw a review (LTT?) where they said that the 4070 was sort of targeted by Nvidia as a 1080 replacement more than a 3080 replacement. People are just expecting the same generational improvements that we've had in the past.

Soldato
I would personally just buy the cheapest card available, if your contemplating spending near £700 then buy a 4070Ti or a 7900 XT for the little extra it cost for a solid 20% performance boost.

That's the recommendation you'll get from reputable reviewers as well, overbuilt cooling solutions on midrange cards, especially ones that sip power almost never make sense if you are edging towards the next tier up. Just buy the faster card and undervolt it. No doubt Gibbo is keen to upsell here and get some leverage to push back on the cost from the suppliers, but it's still a valid point.

Soldato
As someone with a 4k 144hz monitor I badly want too. but no card can really hit that 144fps constant yet not even the 4090. You are right though I do need to get off, but at the moment i've been going through some of my older Steam games as i've probably bought under 10 games in the last 3 years (not including the odd humble bundle month i forgot to pause) so it's more of a want than a need. As soon as a blinding single player RPG comes out that I really want I might jump the prices are about where I want them to be for last gen cards now, but I just need something to push me.

IDK what you are playing, but I have a 165hz monitor and my overclocked 6800XT is more than enough in competitive games. By competitive I mean Esports, because you only need that sort of response time in titles like that. For absolutely everything else 60 FPS minimum is more than enough.

I am just catching up, but what has been said about power use on the 6950xt is sort of true. The fact is that it is much faster than the 4070, and thus if you power managed it to 200w it would probably still be about the same or faster and deliver the same performance.

Associate
IDK what you are playing, but I have a 165hz monitor and my overclocked 6800XT is more than enough in competitive games. By competitive I mean Esports, because you only need that sort of response time in titles like that. For absolutely everything else 60 FPS minimum is more than enough.

I am just catching up, but what has been said about power use on the 6950xt is sort of true. The fact is that it is much faster than the 4070, and thus if you power managed it to 200w it would probably still be about the same or faster and deliver the same performance.

Hell Let Loose is a game i'd like a nice 144 at 4k. But tbh the 1080ti does get me through mostly because i've not been buying new games. TBH i have hardly bought any games in the last 3 years outside of humble bundles.

The power of the 6950xt it's such a pointless argument, while i can't speak for everyone, but based on my energy use, how often i play games, and the fact that your GPU wont be drawing max power at all times when in games (being indoors, in menus etc) it would LITERALLY take me 5 or 6 years of gaming for the difference in power/costs to make up for the lower power draw of a 4070, during which i've have 15-20% higher performance anyway. People talk about these power draw but don't actually calculate how much it would actually cost. You would have to play for 8-10 hours a day every day for nearly 2 years straight only playing games that push the GPUs to 100% power draw at all times just to make the lower power draw worth the difference. In fact if that power draw was such an issue... I could just turn off 1 light bulb and i would save the difference anyway!

Though the 6950xt has gone up to £700 now so it's kinda a mute point now lol.

Soldato
Hoping some madlad does a comparison of all the available 4070s.

Most of the benches I’ve seen of the OC cards show the FE beating it which is weird as the FE has a lower boost clock.

I really want to find out which card is the coolest/quietest and ideally with a factory OC that offers a decent boost over the FE/reference models.

Debating buying a 4070 as for my 1440p games it will be sufficient and access to dlss 3.0 is a bonus for me.
Fill ya boots...

Last edited:
Associate
Got my 4070 ASUS Dual, i can confirm the backplate is metal, runs extremely quiet , could barely hear the fans with the side of case off at 1200rpm. Temps good too havent seen anything over 64C yet. ( 20C room temp )

power draw seems to top at 190W roughly,

performance for the price isnt great, as we know, was slightly disappointed with performance given the £589 price, at £400-£450 would have been good value. Still a good upgrade from my gtx 1660,

Caporegime
Got my 4070 ASUS Dual, i can confirm the backplate is metal, runs extremely quiet , could barely hear the fans with the side of case off at 1200rpm. Temps good too havent seen anything over 64C yet. ( 20C room temp )

power draw seems to top at 190W roughly,

performance for the price isnt great, as we know, was slightly disappointed with performance given the £589 price, at £400-£450 would have been good value. Still a good upgrade from my gtx 1660,

Yeh, it sounds like a decent GPU considering the heat, power and noise.

If they were under £500 I'd have bought one already.

Soldato
Hypothetical: if a 4070 was less how would that impact the used market? For those who have GPUs with some value today, maybe the marginal upgrade cost isn't that much different than if the 4070 was less because the 4070 being less would also negatively impact the resale value of your existing card.

Soldato
Hypothetical: if a 4070 was less how would that impact the used market? For those who have GPUs with some value today, maybe the marginal upgrade cost isn't that much different than if the 4070 was less because the 4070 being less would also negatively impact the resale value of your existing card.
It would have almost zero impact, since Ebay prices are in a world of their own. 3080s and 3080 Tis are still going for £500-700 on there, and that's looking at sold ones since the 4070 came out, not fanciful BIN listings. A 3080 FE sold for £635 earlier. The most recent sale was a 3080 with a busted DisplayPort, and even that fetched £493.

Most people who use that site seem to be either certifiable or thick. Or a scammer of course.

Back
Top Bottom