• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

OcUK RX5800X3D review thread

Soldato
How times have changed since this time last year when ryzen had a huge lead over Intels newly released rocket lake and people were saying it would take 5 years for Intel to catch AMD yet with 17 months dev time since zen 3 AMD can only match Intels ADL in gaming performance while losing in productivity even against the cheaper vanilla zen 3 chips so it's not that impressive in the grand scheme of things especially when compared to the gains Intel made with ADL over rocket lake.

True but to bring things back on Track, intels DDR5 Platform is bearly beating AMD's DDR4 platform, the 5000 series was released 2 years back, AMD is yet to release a DDR5 Platform,

Soldato
True but to bring things back on Track, intels DDR5 Platform is bearly beating AMD's DDR4 platform, the 5000 series was released 2 years back, AMD is yet to release a DDR5 Platform,
The cache size nullifys the ram advantage though as the CPU has to spend less time going into system ram.

Associate
How times have changed since this time last year when ryzen had a huge lead over Intels newly released rocket lake and people were saying it would take 5 years for Intel to catch AMD yet with 17 months dev time since zen 3 AMD can only match Intels ADL in gaming performance while losing in productivity even against the cheaper vanilla zen 3 chips so it's not that impressive in the grand scheme of things especially when compared to the gains Intel made with ADL over rocket lake.
I am curious by the 17 monts of Dev time comment, I hope you do not think Intel only started on that architecture when Zen 3 launched? Don't forget AMD managed to match Intels flag ship models in gaming with a chip sognifigantly cheaper. From what i have seen online today Zen 4 is going to be a huge leap from Zen 3 with Zen 5 being an even bigger leap over Zen 4 while RPL buy Intels own marketing manages only up to double digit performance gains (no mention of IPC so maybe extra E cores and Mhz). Do not forget also that Intel are so far behind AMD where able to not bother bringing out low price SKU's for 2 years and could also take there tie perfecting Zen 4.

I am running a 5950X here and a 4th gen plus 8th gen Intel system. One of those Intel systems will probably go AM5, the other regardless of performance will be Raptor lake as i like to know what both brands have going on

Associate

two year old CPU tech with a bit more cache matches new intel tech. Remind me how intel is ahead?

note I don't actually care who is currently faster in games.

Man of Honour
I am curious by the 17 monts of Dev time comment, I hope you do not think Intel only started on that architecture when Zen 3 launched?
It's pretty obvious what they are saying, this 5800X3D came out 17 months after Zen3. He's not using 17 months in relation to anything Intel have released - basically Alderlake came out 1 year after Zen3. He's saying that AMD released Zen3 then had 17 months to come up with something better and didn't (in their opinion).

Soldato
It's pretty obvious what they are saying, this 5800X3D came out 17 months after Zen3. He's not using 17 months in relation to anything Intel have released - basically Alderlake came out 1 year after Zen3. He's saying that AMD released Zen3 then had 17 months to come up with something better and didn't (in their opinion).

Or didn't have to ;) Just looks like trading blows to me, except that AMD seems to have a a right hook followed by an upper cut coming. Intel look like they're sticking with the jabs for now creating a bit of room to recover. Tbh I'd rather have steady progress, if it's too quick it gets expensive or makes hardware obsolete very quickly.

Soldato

Depends how you look at it , Intel's using new architecture yet AMD can release something on older which is on 6 year old socket and pretty much beat in gaming

Tell me the last time socket that has been supported this well ?

Looking ahead I would likely go with AMD because known for socket support

Soldato

I'm pretty sure AMD have been working on Zen 4 during that 17 months you mentioned and will continue to do so.

The 5800X3D is just something they cobbled together to counter an entire platform Intel shed blood, sweat and tears on.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm pretty sure AMD have been working on Zen 4 for the last 17 months and will continue to do so.

The 5800X3D is just something they cobbled together to counter an entire platform Intel shed blood, sweat and tears on.
It doesn't really counter an entire platform though as it excels in just a handful of applications and games, it's a decent option for those on AM4 with pre zen 3 CPUs but with an almost £200 premium over a 5700X you'd still end up with a faster gaming system by investing that £200 into the GPU. For anyone buying a new setup then Intel is still the better option or waiting for next gen releases.

Soldato
It doesn't really counter an entire platform though as it excels in just a handful of applications and games, it's a decent option for those on AM4 with pre zen 3 CPUs but with an almost £200 premium over a 5700X you'd still end up with a faster gaming system by investing that £200 into the GPU. For anyone buying a new setup then Intel is still the better option or waiting for next gen releases.

they are actually just taking turns with each new release , better not to include rocket lake :cry: will be interesting how zen4 does against raptor both releasing at similar time , As I would have thought zen4 would have been better than Alder Lake

Soldato
Prime example of great upgrade, a pal of mine has a nice M-ATX R5 3600 build and recently put in an RTX 3080 Ti FE, he's going to get a 5800X3D as changing platform would be utterly pointless and he plays at 1440p UW so his system will now last him a good while longer, already have a buyer for the R5 3600 for £120 (fitted) so it's costing £300 and adding likely 3 years to the longevity of the build.

Soldato

The high end is never actually worth buying in my opinion. It's for marketing. The 5800X3D will mean AMD gets more sales at the lower end like the 5600X. Just like the 1080Ti lead to amazing 1060 sales. The 2080Ti meant decent 1660 sales. The 12900KS will lead to Intel getting strong i3 and i5 sales.

That kind of marketing doesn't work on me but it does work for many. Like company logos on a winning F1 car or logos on a football shirt.

Intel/AMD/Nvidia probably make more money by increased sales at the low/mid end when people are impressed by a halo enthusiast CPU/GPU than they actually make from the halo product itself.

Associate
Is it available for purchase, did a quick search and cannot see it listed for price ??

Given lack of productivity value, just gaming, even if available for purchase is not waiting for Zen 4 a better bet even if needs motherboard etc?

Soldato
Is it available for purchase, did a quick search and cannot see it listed for price ??

Given lack of productivity value, just gaming, even if available for purchase is not waiting for Zen 4 a better bet even if needs motherboard etc?
It's more of a stop gap given how close Zen 4 is, and I'm thinking it'll be the same with the Zen 4 3D chips, releasing them too close to the next gen.

I would rather go Zen 4 instead as it will be a noticeable upgrade in everything. This one is for those that don't want to change board etc.

This CPU will be overtaken quickly IMO.

Associate
Yeah I agree Perfect Chaos. This seems a paper launch just to beat Intel.

The savvy buyer will be better off waiting for Zen 4 and later graphics cards from AMD and nVidia rather than this or something like the 3090ti.

Both seem items designed to get a fool away from his money.

Soldato
The savvy buyer will be better off waiting for Zen 4

That's all well and good but there are those that can't afford/justify the cost of a full upgrade. The 3d is great for those on older Zen chips as will be a drop in upgrade. And may give them spare cash to upgrade to next gen GC as well.

Associate
That's all well and good but there are those that can't afford/justify the cost of a full upgrade. The 3d is great for those on older Zen chips as will be a drop in upgrade. And may give them spare cash to upgrade to next gen GC as well.

Good point, however for games if you are on a budget better to spend it on the gpu, chair, keyboard and mouse before the cpu IMO.

Back
Top Bottom