*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Soldato
ive always wondered if someone would make something like this but I guess you have to run on the spot

i remember ages ago some huge device you strap yourself into and wear slidey shoes and actually run and you feet slide on the kind of bowl shape thing you are in, so its like you are actually running

You can buy one, for a super low price of $1499!
https://www.kat-vr.com/products/kat-walk-c

Associate
My Reverb G2 is faulty and with no indication of when a replacement will be available, I've opted for a refund. I'm think of getting the quest 2 instead, especially given I wasn't that impressed with the G2 clarity away from the center of the lens. I mainly play sims so it will be tethered for the majority of the time. Is this headset a good tethered experience and would the 64GB version be sufficient or should I go 256GB ?

Soldato
My Reverb G2 is faulty and with no indication of when a replacement will be available, I've opted for a refund. I'm think of getting the quest 2 instead, especially given I wasn't that impressed with the G2 clarity away from the center of the lens. I mainly play sims so it will be tethered for the majority of the time. Is this headset a good tethered experience and would the 64GB version be sufficient or should I go 256GB ?

hmm, I am not so sure you would be happy with the Quest 2 if you weren't happy with the Clarity of the Reverb G2. Especially if you are only going to be playing PCVR sims.

The 64Gb version will be fine for your use.

I guess you could order one, try it and return it if you don't like it before the 7 days has passed.

Associate
My Quest 2 for games that run on the headset itself (untethered) are fantastic, massive visual quality upgrade over my Rift CV1.
For racing games like PC2 and especially Dirt Rally 2.0 I’m sticking to my Rift. I upgraded to a 3090 graphics card but Quest 2 compression down the USB cable or virtual desktop just looks horrible to me. I get good USB test speeds and have played with various SS settings. I am running my Rift with 1.7 SS and it’s rock solid crisp graphics but with 3 inch gaps between the pixels! (SDE). I dont think I’ll get the G2 though because of the small focal point which probably gets worse with prescription lenses.
Glad I bought the quest 2 though, use it lots.

Soldato
My Quest 2 for games that run on the headset itself (untethered) are fantastic, massive visual quality upgrade over my Rift CV1.
For racing games like PC2 and especially Dirt Rally 2.0 I’m sticking to my Rift. I upgraded to a 3090 graphics card but Quest 2 compression down the USB cable or virtual desktop just looks horrible to me. I get good USB test speeds and have played with various SS settings. I am running my Rift with 1.7 SS and it’s rock solid crisp graphics but with 3 inch gaps between the pixels! (SDE). I dont think I’ll get the G2 though because of the small focal point which probably gets worse with prescription lenses.

Have you used the debug tool to increase the bitrate, I assume so, but always worth asking.

Associate

I am coming from a rift CV1. I've done some research online and most people seem to be saying the tethered image quality has been improved a lot with the latest software. What exactly are you seeing that isn't to your liking ?

hmm, I am not so sure you would be happy with the Quest 2 if you weren't happy with the Clarity of the Reverb G2. Especially if you are only going to be playing PCVR sims.

The 64Gb version will be fine for your use.

I guess you could order one, try it and return it if you don't like it before the 7 days has passed.

Well, the G2 was very crisp in center of the screen but that area to me was very small. My CV1 is obviously far more blurry in general but the peripheral clarity is actually better. For example, in the flight sim menu, if I focus on the center of the menu in the G2, there's no way I could read anything in the corners without moving my head. I can read everything with my CV1. I'd rather see slightly less clarify in general if that was more or less edge to edge. The G2 was very distracting during head movement for me due to that change in clarity. Is the Quest 2 better in that respect.

Associate
To me the graphics via Oculus link or Virtual Desktop for some games like DR2.0 look horrible smeary low res. textures like looking at a PlayStation 1 game

Soldato
To me the graphics via Oculus link or Virtual Desktop for some games like DR2.0 look horrible smeary low res. textures like looking at a PlayStation 1 game

It shouldn't look that bad on the Quest 2 over the link cable on a 3090.

Have you gone into the debug tool and set the encode bitrate to 500?

Associate
It shouldn't look that bad on the Quest 2 over the link cable on a 3090.

Have you gone into the debug tool and set the encode bitrate to 500?
Thanks for reply.
Tried at 500 and was jittery and sound was breaking up so lowered to 400. Seemed a bit better.
This was running Automobilista 2 just now. Stationary the track a few feet in front of the car/kart looks ok but further on is just smeared grey with all detail removed. Tried various AA and AF settings. Looking up on monitor everything is perfect. I don’t notice this issue with Rift.
All other settings in debug tool are default (or set to 0). Also tried setting SS back to 1.
I’ll keep fiddling if meant to be better

Soldato
Thanks for reply.
Tried at 500 and was jittery and sound was breaking up so lowered to 400. Seemed a bit better.
This was running Automobilista 2 just now. Stationary the track a few feet in front of the car/kart looks ok but further on is just smeared grey with all detail removed. Tried various AA and AF settings. Looking up on monitor everything is perfect. I don’t notice this issue with Rift.
All other settings in debug tool are default (or set to 0). Also tried setting SS back to 1.
I’ll keep fiddling if meant to be better

What USB cable are you using? You shouldn't be getting jitter on a 3090 even using 500Mbs.

Are these racing games on Steam? I just wonder are you suffering from the current problem Nvidia are having with their Drivers and Steam VR. (It mainly affects 3xxx cards)

Earlier in this thread, people were saying how good Dirt Rally 2.0 looked after the V23 update on the Quest 2.

Have you tried reducing the Bitrate to 350 in the debug tool(everything else at defaults). Leaving the rendering resolution at 1.7mbs. Change the refresh rate to 72hz (Just for the purposing of testing) In Steam VR, Turn the SS up to 150% In Dirt Rally 2.0 turn down the resolution of the monitor display. Try medium-high settings in game and see what it looks like. Use 4xMSAA.

Oh, in the Nvidia control panel. In the 3D settings set the Virtual Reality Pre -rendered frames to 1 and the Virtual Reality Variable rate super sampling to Adaptive.

Soldato
How the hell are you guys running at 500mbps?
What Oculus resolution are you setting in the Oculus software? and refresh rate?

Surely theres noway to run games at full 1.7x and 90hz at 500mbps?

Soldato
This was running Automobilista 2 just now. Stationary the track a few feet in front of the car/kart looks ok but further on is just smeared grey with all detail removed.

Still hammering Fo4, this one comes up a lot from Q2 users complaining about blurred distances. Detailed technical responses as to why you have issues with the Q2 found here: https://old.reddit.com/r/fo4vr/comments/kziyfm/got_a_3090_crazy_fps_but_how_do_i_get_rid_of/

A little more relatable to racing games, i get questioned about blurred distances from people that question me about my VR usage in ACC quite a lot on multiplayer servers. Nearly always from Quest users running over the link.

Back
Top Bottom