*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
got it going

slow as hell though

I bet that you aren't connected at 5Ghz. Or else you are connected at 5Ghz but it's throttling back to 144Mbps. (or maybe 173Mbps)

Connecting over mobile hotspot isn't recommended if you are using the later versions of windows 10.

If you are on Window 10 1909 or earlier, then the hotspot will work better, but even then, it's still better to use a dedicated router.

Soldato
thanks
says over 855Mbs in VD menu
connected directly to PC, says 333Mb/s I think

both 5GHz band

how do i check if its throttling back?

Sorry Shi Warrior, wasn't online yesterday.

That seems like it's connecting at 5Ghz and not been limited. Which is strange.

Are you connecting your PC to your Router using Wifi? or are you using a network cable? If you are using a network cable, then it doesn't matter what Wifi Speed your wireless Router has. If you have your Hotspot setup correctly on the PC, the Quest 2 shouldn't be connecting to Router at all.

So, my question is, how have you created the Hotspot? I mean what are you using, A Wifi PCIe adapter? USB adapter?

Associate
Hi All.

Just picked up a quest 2 and so far loving the versatility of it. Think I have settled on Using virtual desktop rather than PC link as it just seems to work...

What are people doing about battery usage on wireless? seemed to only get maybe 2 hours playing wireless... can you have it plugged into the wall charger and play at the same time? I do have a battery bank I could attach to it but that will get a bit heavy especially for the two kids.

Soldato
Hi All.

Just picked up a quest 2 and so far loving the versatility of it. Think I have settled on Using virtual desktop rather than PC link as it just seems to work...

What are people doing about battery usage on wireless? seemed to only get maybe 2 hours playing wireless... can you have it plugged into the wall charger and play at the same time? I do have a battery bank I could attach to it but that will get a bit heavy especially for the two kids.

Do the kids play for more than 2 hours consecutively? You can attach a powerbank to the rear of the headset, it can actually increase comfort by acting as a counterweight.

Underboss
Sorry Shi Warrior, wasn't online yesterday.

That seems like it's connecting at 5Ghz and not been limited. Which is strange.

Are you connecting your PC to your Router using Wifi? or are you using a network cable? If you are using a network cable, then it doesn't matter what Wifi Speed your wireless Router has. If you have your Hotspot setup correctly on the PC, the Quest 2 shouldn't be connecting to Router at all.

So, my question is, how have you created the Hotspot? I mean what are you using, A Wifi PCIe adapter? USB adapter?

hey no worries, hopeing that someone would reply whos used VD, no matter

i have wifi 6 on my motherboard

if i go direct to PC, i switch on wireless hotspot in the network settings from the taskbar

if i connect to PC via router, my PC is connected by a cat5 cable which is 1m away from the PC, as its on my desk
i then connect my headset to it as i always do (5Ghz / 866Mb/s) for internet (or in this case through VD)

all in the same room, so like 2m away from my headset :D

Soldato
hey no worries, hopeing that someone would reply whos used VD, no matter

i have wifi 6 on my motherboard

if i go direct to PC, i switch on wireless hotspot in the network settings from the taskbar

I will just concentrate on this one first. The Wireless Hotspot.

But, no matter which way you do it, the computer should always be connected to the Router by a network cable.

Ok, now that's out of the way. What version of Windows 10 are you on? The Latest? Or have you an older version installed?
Oh sorry, one more thing, just to make sure there is no interference, can you turn off the Wifi on your Router?

Now create the Hotspot and connect your Quest 2 to it. Go into Virtual desktop and tell me what speed it's connected it and also tell me what latency you are getting in the desktop.

When you say slow, I am presuming you mean that it's lagging?

Associate
Do you have another machine or a spare drive to try? I had a load of issues trying to get link to work. I had two cables including the official oculus one, and like you I could see the Q2 on my PC and could access the files. I also had the link option in the Q2 but it would not work. I ended up taking the headset back, and the new one also failed to work. It turned out there was an issue with windows 10 and a reinstall of the OS sorted it.

I have a PC which works absolutely fine. I think it's something to do with the integrated GPU (AMD Radeon) vs the dedicated GPU (GeForce 3080). The machine I'm having trouble with is a laptop (Asus ROG G733QSA).

To add insult to injury the laptop now just freezes at the windows login screen. Only happened after I used the laptop on battery, plugged it in as the battery was running low and that's it...suddenly freezes and needs to be switched off by hokind the power button down.

Not a great experience so far

Soldato
Hey guys. Question. Does VR gives motion sickiness? If so, how bad is it?

It absolutely can do. As to how bad, it depends on what you're doing and who you are.

First steps (the oculus intro game) shouldn't give any motion sickness. Rollercoaster simulators are absolutely awful for it. The issue is when one sensory input is disagreeing with another. VR is visual, so if your balance/motion doesn't agree with what your eyes are seeing there's serious potential for motion sickness.

My old man spent half his life at sea, so I didn't even warn him about it, but I should have done, because he's put other people in his headset and effectively thrown them in the deep end, without realising!

I think as someone who'd gamed a lot, I had some more resistance at smooth motion, because moving a joystick forward, and see forwards motion, was already part of a "normal" process for me, albeit, in a far less immersive manner. Some people aren't so lucky.

EDIT - You can help build your VR legs though, start with non-problematic games, and build up, use teleport movement, not smooth etc. And don't push through, if you start to feel nauseous, take the headset off, otherwise your brain just associates VR with motion sickness.

Associate
Hey guys. Question. Does VR gives motion sickiness? If so, how bad is it?

Depends on the game and the person.

I started with Project Cars 2. You're sitting in the game and in real life so there's a fixed point of reference. There are no extreme movements, so I never felt ill at all.
Then Elite. Same set up again. The first couple of loops I pulled were a bit trippy but after that fine.
Then I moved on to first person games. No issues even with smooth movement and turning on. I must have got used to it by this point.
I tried Mission ISS where you're floating in the spacestation with a couple of options to propel yourself. This makes me fell incredibly, immediately ill as your body in the game is doing something completely different to your body in meatspace.

Back
Top Bottom