*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

When you have been wireless nothing else matters, I sold my index after I got the quest.
FOV is **** but everything else is good enough, well after you frankenquest it and get the free vr face cover

ok had a play with it again, been playing Space Trainer via the hotspot method

got the performance overlay on, and I can see im around 200-288 Mb/s line speed
fps drops to 72 from 80 occasionally
latency jumps up quite a bit when my line speeds drops, it does play smooth, then stutters now and again

wifi-6 i have on my pc via windows 10 method, using the MSI drivers

Sorry man, I keep missing your replies.

Yeah, that's windows limiting your connection. You have to trick it if you want to setup a proper 5Ghz mobile hotspot on your PC.

There are several ways to do it. The first one and easiest one to try first is,

On your Quest 2 remove(forget) the mobile hotspot network and delete it on your PC.
Now, on your PC, connect to the 5Ghz wireless on your Router.
Once you are connected, create a mobile hotspot on your PC.
Connect your mobile phone to the hotspot on your PC.
Now connect the Quest 2 to the mobile hotspot.

And if you have done it correctly you will have full Wifi 6 speeds on your Quest 2.

I'm so confused :cry:

I've got both coming now, don't want to decide by trying both as not really fair to OCUK having it returned opened etc.

Ok, I will answer this for you. It really depends on your PC specs, mostly your GPU.

So what GPU do you have?

Supply that info and I will tell you which headset to keep.

I have the rift s and the quest 2 and I can tell you that the rift s is still a better headset for pc vr despite the lower resolution. With the rift s there is no image compression and the headset is lighter and more comfortable. Don't get me wrong the quest 2 is a great standalone vr headset but if your main use is pc vr then you made the right choice with the rift s.

do you mind me asking what GPU do you have?

Ok, I will answer this for you. It really depends on your PC specs, mostly your GPU.

So what GPU do you have?

Supply that info and I will tell you which headset to keep.

I've got a 1070ti and a Ryzen 5 3600, I also have excellent 5ghz wifi if that makes any difference.

And I do plan a GPU upgrade to a similar tier current GPU but that won't be until next year probably so I guess don't factor that in.

I've got a 1070ti and a Ryzen 5 3600, I also have excellent 5ghz wifi if that makes any difference.

And I do plan a GPU upgrade to a similar tier current GPU but that won't be until next year probably so I guess don't factor that in.

Ok, lol, you are killing me here :p

You managed to have the GPU that puts you right in the middle!! With your GPU you will have roughly the same experience on both headsets in PCVR games.

Going to have to ask you another question. For the Quest 2, you are probably going to have to spend a little more money to get it just right for you. You will need a new head strap and a new facial interface to get it more comfortable. (Unless you are really lucky and you are one of those who finds the stock strap and foam good enough) You will also need a USB cable to connect to your computer using a wire and/or Virtual desktop if you want to connect wirelessly.

My question is, are you on a strict budget? Would the £100 or so extra you have to spend on the Quest 2 put it over budget? Or are you just interested in getting the best Headset without going way over budget?

Can't ignore the wireless option. Be it standalone or virtual desktop. You may not start off getting the headset with any plans for standalone, but some experiences are just amazing.

You managed to have the GPU that puts you right in the middle!! With your GPU you will have roughly the same experience on both headsets in PCVR games.

Going to have to ask you another question. For the Quest 2, you are probably going to have to spend a little more money to get it just right for you. You will need a new head strap and a new facial interface to get it more comfortable. (Unless you are really lucky and you are one of those who finds the stock strap and foam good enough) You will also need a USB cable to connect to your computer using a wire and/or Virtual desktop if you want to connect wirelessly.

My question is, are you on a strict budget? Would the £100 or so extra you have to spend on the Quest 2 put it over budget? Or are you just interested in getting the best Headset without going way over budget?

Oculus are supplying a free vr face cover if the foam face cover aggregates your face.

I happen to have a suitable USB cable here for work stuff anyway, so that's not an issue. And as long as it's usable for a couple of months I am happy enough spending a bit more (or modding etc) to make it fit better.

So basically, yes my budget has a bit of flex in it if needed and I am after the 'best' headset, with wireless to PC being more of a draw than the actually standalone gameplay (although I guess that could be cool).

I happen to have a suitable USB cable here for work stuff anyway, so that's not an issue. And as long as it's usable for a couple of months I am happy enough spending a bit more (or modding etc) to make it fit better.

So basically, yes my budget has a bit of flex in it if needed and I am after the 'best' headset, with wireless to PC being more of a draw than the actually standalone gameplay (although I guess that could be cool).

Is this your First VR headset?

If it is, then I am going to recommend you keep the Quest 2 and return then Rift S.

It's fantastic standalone, you can play PCVR games wirelessly. It's the one that's going to get most of the attention going forward with regards updates and new features. (although some of those updates have caused some issues!!)

With a little bit of investment it can be modded into a very comfortable headset.

And lastly, whenever you get your new GPU, you will be able to push the graphics even more and it will be like a whole new headset!!

I've got a DK2 here which I had a bit of fun with, but hasn't been used in ages as it's a bit pants really.

I think I'm sold on the Quest 2, any issues with compression etc are only going to get better and the lack of wires does sound good!

Thanks melmac :)

To be honest, performance wise there seems to little between them I don't think there's a wrong answer (hence the trouble everyone on the internet seems to be having deciding!)

Will report back tomorrow assuming DPD play ball.

Sorry man, I keep missing your replies.

Yeah, that's windows limiting your connection. You have to trick it if you want to setup a proper 5Ghz mobile hotspot on your PC.

There are several ways to do it. The first one and easiest one to try first is,

On your Quest 2 remove(forget) the mobile hotspot network and delete it on your PC.
Now, on your PC, connect to the 5Ghz wireless on your Router.
Once you are connected, create a mobile hotspot on your PC.
Connect your mobile phone to the hotspot on your PC.
Now connect the Quest 2 to the mobile hotspot.

And if you have done it correctly you will have full Wifi 6 speeds on your Quest 2.

thanks man !
ill read it again and have another go, be good to get it ready for Monday might

Back
Top Bottom