*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

So i did some research and started to mess with settings. First thing i did, i was open up the debugtool in diagnostics folder and set the encode width to 3664 and also change pixel per display pixel override to 1.2. Defo made a difference, things are much clearer and noticeably sharper/smoother. Still could be better!

I then realised you can do effectively the same thing in the oculus app by upping the resolution. Instead of going up in increments i just cranked it all the way up to max which is 1.5x (cant remember exact range). Jumped into Star Trek bridge crew and wow night and day difference again, its noticeably clearer again and looks fantastic as it should!

Morning Jay, Ahh, the sweet smell of PLacebo in the morning, It is a wonderful thing :p Because in Virtual Desktop, changing the settings in the Debug Tool or the Oculus App doesn't make a difference :)

First, in the Virtual Desktop streamer you should disable the "automatically adjust Bitrate option. Also, for better quality, set the Codec to HEVC.

In the Streaming settings in Virtual desktop itself. Stick with FPS at 90 and Graphics at high. But try the following
VR Bitrate at 100.
Spliced Encoding on.

In Beat Saber and other games requiring fast reactions and quick response times, you would want the lowest latency you can. While in games like Skyrim VR and Half Life: Alyx, a latency of 40-50ms is fine. But, latency depends on the person as well. So, you will have to find a combination that suits you best.

So try a few games with the settings above and see do they play ok. If you are happy, keep raising the Bitrate until you start to notice the latency. Then I would reduce it by 10 and leave it at that. I wouldn't worry too much about the latency figures in the Virtual Desktop performance overlay. Just play some games and see how they feel.

Ohhh, should have read your whole post first, you found out yourself what does and does not effect the Virtual desktop stream.

For a start, I would leave the Steam VR settings at 100% resolution per eye to begin with. Get the Virtual desktop configured correctly. Then this becomes your 100% setting in Steam VR. If you have any overhead spare you can up the Resolution per eye in Steam VR to suit yourself.

Morning Jay, Ahh, the sweet smell of PLacebo in the morning, It is a wonderful thing :p Because in Virtual Desktop, changing the settings in the Debug Tool or the Oculus App doesn't make a difference :)

First, in the Virtual Desktop streamer you should disable the "automatically adjust Bitrate option. Also, for better quality, set the Codec to HEVC.

In the Streaming settings in Virtual desktop itself. Stick with FPS at 90 and Graphics at high. But try the following
VR Bitrate at 100.
Spliced Encoding on.

In Beat Saber and other games requiring fast reactions and quick response times, you would want the lowest latency you can. While in games like Skyrim VR and Half Life: Alyx, a latency of 40-50ms is fine. But, latency depends on the person as well. So, you will have to find a combination that suits you best.

So try a few games with the settings above and see do they play ok. If you are happy, keep raising the Bitrate until you start to notice the latency. Then I would reduce it by 10 and leave it at that. I wouldn't worry too much about the latency figures in the Virtual Desktop performance overlay. Just play some games and see how they feel.

Ohhh, should have read your whole post first, you found out yourself what does and does not effect the Virtual desktop stream.

For a start, I would leave the Steam VR settings at 100% resolution per eye to begin with. Get the Virtual desktop configured correctly. Then this becomes your 100% setting in Steam VR. If you have any overhead spare you can up the Resolution per eye in Steam VR to suit yourself.
Yes indeed, im gonna go back to it tonight and give myself a good seeing to as to why i thought it was better after i changed it lol! Lovely!

Do you know how to pull up the OSD for fps/latency etc while in game or where to set it to show up during gameplay? Is it through VD or Steamvr?

Edit, forgot to say thank you for the recommendations. Will give them a whirl tonight and see if it improves things. I tried Zero caliber last night and it looked a pixelated mess, like a game from the PS1 era :cry:

Yes indeed, im gonna go back to it tonight and give myself a good seeing to as to why i thought it was better after i changed it lol! Lovely!

Do you know how to pull up the OSD for fps/latency etc while in game or where to set it to show up during gameplay? Is it through VD or Steamvr?

Edit, forgot to say thank you for the recommendations. Will give them a whirl tonight and see if it improves things. I tried Zero caliber last night and it looked a pixelated mess, like a game from the PS1 era :cry:

Yeah, in Virtual Desktop, go into the Streaming settings and there is an option to enable performance Overlay. That should give you your in-game latency.

60Mbs was way too low I think, especially for your GPU.

Yeah, in Virtual Desktop, go into the Streaming settings and there is an option to enable performance Overlay. That should give you your in-game latency.

60Mbs was way too low I think, especially for your GPU.
Thank you mate! Much appreciated.

Give us a shout when you're next on for a round of ST:BC, been doing some single player campaign missions to get use to the controls, weirdly it keeps picking up my controllers as vive controllers instead of oculus.

Thank you mate! Much appreciated.

Give us a shout when you're next on for a round of ST:BC, been doing some single player campaign missions to get use to the controls, weirdly it keeps picking up my controllers as vive controllers instead of oculus.

Keep an eye on the Star Trek Bridge crew thread. I believe there is a meetup tonight at 8pm.

Right. So I've finally got around to wanting to try star wars squadrons. Was prepared for some issues, but not what's happened. Loaded the game, it loaded steamVR, it said no headset, so loaded oculus app.

Now any time I connect my headset to my PC with the oculus app running, it just keeps restarting itself. Until it eventually hits a restart where it says it's checking the oculus app, and then if I leave it for ages, tells me to restart the computer.

Anyone had similar. I'm currently doing a reinstall, seems the most obvious port of call.

EDIT - Reinstall hasn't helped. I can still use virtual desktop though, so still had a play in squadrons :D.

Last edited:
@melmac Did as you said and slowly increased my bitrate to 125mbs which seemed to still hold fine with my latency sitting around 40/42 now and not noticing it still which is great!

Definitely looks a lot better and clearer than before (i think lol).

I also tested out going into SteamVR and tweaking the Supersampling, started off at 100% then moved upto 200% and then 300%, slightly clearer every time. However no performance hit?? The overlay is telling me im locked at 90fps still...

I've tried it in 2 games, blade and sorcery and zero Calibre both showing 90fps locked. Blade and sorcery will drop down to around 86fps sometimes but mostly 90fps.

Is this even normal?? I feel like something isn't right.

Been having weird dissociation's with my limbs after long sessions on the quest 2. In particular my Thumb when scrolling on my phone, it almost feels like my thumb isn't there or it feels disconnected. Takes me a good few seconds before i realise its my thumb and i feel the connection again. Also a weird sensation of floatiness lol, does anyone get this when they first started using their VR headset?

Been having weird dissociation's with my limbs after long sessions on the quest 2. In particular my Thumb when scrolling on my phone, it almost feels like my thumb isn't there or it feels disconnected. Takes me a good few seconds before i realise its my thumb and i feel the connection again. Also a weird sensation of floatiness lol, does anyone get this when they first started using their VR headset?

It's not unusual. The feeling will pass after a while.

Back
Top Bottom