*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Yeah, this was a product aimed at mass adoption, not at PCVR and definitely not as a PCVR upgrade. I think PCVR is featuring more and more in the updates (especially with the latest V28 news) because of the established VR consumer's feedback.

Whilst it was intended as an upgrade of a kind for Quest owners it's purpose was always to bring new customers to VR.

Given the choice between my Index and Quest it would be Index every day of the week. But Quest has its place and I was surprised by just how much of a difference it makes, having that freedom of no attached wires even for seated experiences such as racing and flight sims, Elite etc. Yep, headphones and charger battery are the optimum, but that's no issue, with most people owning headphones and with decent charging batteries at very low prices. My headset is AKG 52 and does a perfect job, whilst being comfy and cost me less than £20 - same with the battery, a 10,000mAh job at about £16. After 4 hours the battery is used up and the headset is still fully charged. I've been using mine for wireless PCVR from day 1 - that's what I bought it for.

The big weakness of the Index for me apart from the cable is the heat and weight. Can't say that's even a slight issue with Quest 2.

When I put my Quest (1) up for sale with notices in local shops it was bought by some lady in her 30's (from her appearance etc), had no idea about VR tech and PCs and who got it for her parents to experience things like "The Blue" and suchlike in VR. I think this is a typical customer that FB were aiming at. When I told my 84 year old mother bout it, she was keen to try it for similar experiences, and she's a total technophobe who doesn't even trust herself with a modern phone!

Headset lead length is no issue, though I've seen plenty of people complaining about it:

IMG-0631.jpg

IMG-0632.jpg

Sorted! ;)

Hoping someone can help

My Issues: Half Life Alyx - When pressing buttons, opening doors, picking up Items - there are lots of micro stutters and it takes me out of the game completely. Holding the pistol in my hand and tilting it left to right just looks ... Glitchy.

My Setup: I have a Nighthawk R7000 as my main router - I then have ethernet going to a Archer C6 in AP mode - My PC is connected Via ethernet - 2.4ghz is disabled and the 5ghz channel is dedicated to my quest 2

My PC: Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, 2070 Super OC, Game installed and OS on SSD.

Generally games run ok, but I have spent almost 2 weeks getting it smooth and i just can not get half life alyx to a place im happy with.

I have used the Link cable and there are NO issues on max settings so i do not believe its the performance of my machine or driver related. My Network latency is sat around under 10ms with odd spikes to 15ms, but this is NOT happening when its jumping. When its jumping my stats are fine 90FPS, sub 40ms latency... open the door and it just judders.

I have been on the Discord support group which keep saying the same thing - Must be network related - congestion - I have 3 5ghz networks near near me and mine is 1 not on the same channel.

By all means, its playable, but now i have used a Link cable, i kind of want to give up on wireless - but so many people say "Yeah its butter smooth" so id like to figure this out.

Anyone else had issues?

Yeah, this was a product aimed at mass adoption, not at PCVR and definitely not as a PCVR upgrade. I think PCVR is featuring more and more in the updates (especially with the latest V28 news) because of the established VR consumer's feedback.

Whilst it was intended as an upgrade of a kind for Quest owners it's purpose was always to bring new customers to VR.

Given the choice between my Index and Quest it would be Index every day of the week. But Quest has its place and I was surprised by just how much of a difference it makes, having that freedom of no attached wires even for seated experiences such as racing and flight sims, Elite etc. Yep, headphones and charger battery are the optimum, but that's no issue, with most people owning headphones and with decent charging batteries at very low prices. My headset is AKG 52 and does a perfect job, whilst being comfy and cost me less than £20 - same with the battery, a 10,000mAh job at about £16. After 4 hours the battery is used up and the headset is still fully charged. I've been using mine for wireless PCVR from day 1 - that's what I bought it for.

The big weakness of the Index for me apart from the cable is the heat and weight. Can't say that's even a slight issue with Quest 2.

When I put my Quest (1) up for sale with notices in local shops it was bought by some lady in her 30's (from her appearance etc), had no idea about VR tech and PCs and who got it for her parents to experience things like "The Blue" and suchlike in VR. I think this is a typical customer that FB were aiming at. When I told my 84 year old mother bout it, she was keen to try it for similar experiences, and she's a total technophobe who doesn't even trust herself with a modern phone!

Headset lead length is no issue, though I've seen plenty of people complaining about it:

IMG-0631.jpg

IMG-0632.jpg

Sorted! ;)

Glad you sorted and are happy :cool:.

Everyone has their opinion and I respect that.

It is a head set that is for everyone, I guess. What do you enjoy about the Index?

Hoping someone can help

My Issues: Half Life Alyx - When pressing buttons, opening doors, picking up Items - there are lots of micro stutters and it takes me out of the game completely. Holding the pistol in my hand and tilting it left to right just looks ... Glitchy.

Anyone else had issues?
  • Try reseting the tracking of the headset/ guardian and floor area after you go into wireless mode.
  • Try it without the ethernet cable plugged in , so full wireless
  • Start a new game and check it works ( don't delete your current game!)
People have already said the wireless pc vr is still buggy , and not really good for fast paced racing games etc. So could that be the issue?

Resident Evil 4 VR coming to the Quest 2! Nice.

It sounds very cool for fans of the original but at the same time the VR Zombie shooter is a pretty crowded genre on Quest already. You have to wonder how an adaption of a 15 year old game for VR can compete with titles developed specifically for the format like walking dead and Arizona Sunshine.

It sounds very cool for fans of the original but at the same time the VR Zombie shooter is a pretty crowded genre on Quest already. You have to wonder how an adaption of a 15 year old game for VR can compete with titles developed specifically for the format like walking dead and Arizona Sunshine.

I agree. Is this a remade version ? Or is it the same stock RE4 but can be now played in VR.

The PSVR has RE7 Biohazard and that game is a 9 out of 10. So this RE4 might be a step down from that vr experience as RE7 is a very good game. Tbh that should be released on the Rift and I would welcome it.

Last edited:
Glad you sorted and are happy :cool:.

Everyone has their opinion and I respect that.

It is a head set that is for everyone, I guess. What do you enjoy about the Index?

Resolution, refresh rate, FOV and above all, configurability. SteamVR has a lot of options and things you can do that greatly improve the experience and they are very easy to use (once you know they are available).

I agree. Is this a remade version ? Or is it the same stock RE4 but can be now played in VR.

The PSVR has RE7 Biohazard and that game is a 9 out of 10. So this RE4 might be a step down from that vr experience as RE7 is a very good game. Tbh that should be released on the Rift and I would welcome it.

From the video RE4 looks like a complete 'proper' VR conversion with hand presence and physical interactions with puzzles, levers, etc. (Unlike Skyrim VR which relies on single button presses for in-game interactions - at least without mods). RE7 on PS4 was gamepad only, so only half of the potential VR experience really.

RE4 is also far, far, better and bigger than any VR zombie game that exists currently, especially on Quest. It's a true AAA game.

Resolution, refresh rate, FOV and above all, configurability. SteamVR has a lot of options and things you can do that greatly improve the experience and they are very easy to use (once you know they are available).

I agree, the Index is my go-to PC VR headset, mainly due to the FOV, and that it doesn't have the image compression issues that the Quest can suffer from in some games. Because of this, even though the Index is lower resolution, it looks sharper than the Quest. Also it's a complete package - no need for any extras. The Quest 2 is great, but once you start adding up all the extras (better strap, better facial interface, external battery, link cable, headphones, etc.) it's much more expensive. Still cheaper than an Index though, but more faffing about to get it comfortable. The wireless ability and portability of the Quest 2 make it my go-to headset for roomscale experiences and exercise though.

Apparently, the next two Index headsets are in the planning stages, with patents lodged, and at least one is purported to be wireless, but not using WiFi.

Just spent 3.5 hours coop in Arizona Sunshine, janky game but fun!

People saying you *need* loads of extra bits, you really don't, I used an old battery pack to keep it running but beyond that I'm on stock everything running through my WiFi and it was a great experience!

Hoping someone can help

My Setup: I have a Nighthawk R7000 as my main router - I then have ethernet going to a Archer C6 in AP mode - My PC is connected Via ethernet - 2.4ghz is disabled and the 5ghz channel is dedicated to my quest 2

My PC: Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB RAM, 2070 Super OC, Game installed and OS on SSD.

Generally games run ok, but I have spent almost 2 weeks getting it smooth and i just can not get half life alyx to a place im happy with.

I have used the Link cable and there are NO issues on max settings so i do not believe its the performance of my machine or driver related. My Network latency is sat around under 10ms with odd spikes to 15ms, but this is NOT happening when its jumping. When its jumping my stats are fine 90FPS, sub 40ms latency... open the door and it just judders.

I have been on the Discord support group which keep saying the same thing - Must be network related - congestion - I have 3 5ghz networks near near me and mine is 1 not on the same channel.

By all means, its playable, but now i have used a Link cable, i kind of want to give up on wireless - but so many people say "Yeah its butter smooth" so id like to figure this out.

Anyone else had issues?

Stuttering in Half Life: Alyx happens to a lot of people across every headset.

There are a lot of fixes for it. Try this first.

In Steam VR make sure the Resolution per eye is at 100%

In Virtual desktop

Set the codec to HEVC.
VR Bitrate to 100Mbps
VR Graphic Settings to Medium
Spliced Encoding - ON
And for Half Life Alyx, try Video Buffering on.

Test the game with these settings and see does it improve anything.

Ok if that doesn't fix the issue. Try this. In the Launch Options for Half Life: Alyx

-novid -console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3 +vr_render_scale 1.0

And start the game. See do you still have stuttering. If you don't, you can change the Fidelity level from 3 to a 4. And test again. Keeping going up by 1 until the Stuttering appears than pick the value before that. It only goes up to 6.

If you still have problems after that, then you can try changing priorities of the exe's in the Task Manager. Set the priority for OVRServer_x64.exe, vrserver.exe, vrcompositor.exe and hlvr.exe to "high", make sure "save priority" is ticked.

• Try reseting the tracking of the headset/ guardian and floor area after you go into wireless mode.
The Quest 2 is always in Wireless mode, unless you connect using Link cable, and even then it still uses the headset's tracking and Guardian. It's not like the Rift Civ1, you don't have to reset the sensors tracking.
  • Try it without the ethernet cable plugged in , so full wireless

Yeah, this won't work. In Vinylpushers1's setup, how would the Quest 2 communicate with the PC if there was no ethernet cable between the Dedicated Quest 2 Router and the PC? The only way for a completely wireless PCVR experience is if He had a wireless adapter in his computer. But, this setup isn't recommended by the developer of Virtual desktop.

The recommended setup is: First you get a router/access point dedicated solely for use with the Quest 2. Connect that router to your home's main router with a network cable. Now you connect the dedicated Router/access point to your PC with an Ethernet cable(1Gbps speed minimum) Setup a 5Ghz network on the new router for the Quest 2. Then connect your Quest 2 to it.

Depending on your home network setup you might not need a dedicated Router.

Apparently, the next two Index headsets are in the planning stages, with patents lodged, and at least one is purported to be wireless, but not using WiFi.

The Wifi model will probably use something like the Vive wireless adapter used, an Intel WiGig PCIe card that plugs into your computer.

That suits me fine - as long as the headset isn't as heavy, or heavier than the current Index. Of course, there's also talk of Quest 3 and even 4 already and they may change the FOV or headset size of those. These are the only things that imo are really needed, apart from the obvious IPD adjustment and battery endurance. I might have read something about wireless charging for future Quests, but whther that was speculation or not I don't know - probably, though.

Morning chaps and chapettes,

(essential info)
System specs:
9900k stock
RTX 3090
32gb RAM
Router: Deco M4 (2 nodes used with 1 node via Ethernet)
Speed: Virgin 250mbs
Connection to pc: Virtual Desktop

Just wanna run my settings through with you guys on my quest 2 as i've been doing a fair bit of tinkering lately.

To start off, i tried everything on stock settings no tinkering in the oculus app on pc, no changes to settings in the device itself and no tweaks to VD either through steam or VD itself. As you can imagine the streaming experience wasn't great as it was abit of a blurry and sometimes pixelated mess depending on the game. I noticed gpu usage sits around 60% as well.

So i did some research and started to mess with settings. First thing i did, i was open up the debugtool in diagnostics folder and set the encode width to 3664 and also change pixel per display pixel override to 1.2. Defo made a difference, things are much clearer and noticeably sharper/smoother. Still could be better!

I then realised you can do effectively the same thing in the oculus app by upping the resolution. Instead of going up in increments i just cranked it all the way up to max which is 1.5x (cant remember exact range). Jumped into Star Trek bridge crew and wow night and day difference again, its noticeably clearer again and looks fantastic as it should!

In VD i have tweaked the settings for streaming:
FPS: 90hz
Quality: High (max)
Bitrate: 60mbs

I went with 60mbs bitrate because i read the higher the bitrate the more latency there is. My latency on this setup sits around 19-20ms on the VD overlay, whats your recommended bitrate? I know bitrate impacts visual quality as well so i know i can get even better graphics streamed to my quest 2 if i upped this. Would 100mbs be too much?

(Note: I have not tweaked any Steam VR settings or advanced settings yet at this point, i wasn't even aware they existed till late last night so will look for them after work today and tweak those as well. Any recommendations on what i could try?)

EDIT: I noticed in SteamVR settings there is an option for Supersampling in developer mode, is this the same as what i did in the oculus app by upping the scale of the resolution by 1.5x or is it a totally separate thing?

EDIT2: After jumping on discord and asking i just realised that changing settings in Debugtool and Oculus App doesn't change anything that is streamed over from my pc... So effectively that means i need to change settings in SteamVR and VD to get any visual improvements.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom