*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Just ordered a few of these controller bumpers, seems a good enough idea as I have hit the conroller ring part a few times on things.

Soldato
Can't watch it now but read the video info. I suspect the q2 will enjoy much longer support than the q1 for a few of reasons. The first is it was released on a cutting edge chip rather than an already aging one. The other major point is numbers. Q1 from a quick search some maybe 1 million units, q2 looks to have sold 10 million. Unless Q3 sells a massive amount more, I don't think developers will be willing to miss out on that market. The latest modern warfare game still sports the nearly 10 year old Xbox one ( again if reading right).

Caporegime
Can't watch it now but read the video info. I suspect the q2 will enjoy much longer support than the q1 for a few of reasons. The first is it was released on a cutting edge chip rather than an already aging one. The other major point is numbers. Q1 from a quick search some maybe 1 million units, q2 looks to have sold 10 million. Unless Q3 sells a massive amount more, I don't think developers will be willing to miss out on that market. The latest modern warfare game still sports the nearly 10 year old Xbox one ( again if reading right).
It was a clickbait title from another Mickey Mouse youtuber trying to get clicks. Only the Quest 1 is having any issues with title decommissions and the Quest 2 will enjoy support for a lot longer.

Associate
Hit my latest VR lull (minimal use), need some new Beat Saber songs.
i'm not bothering with vr during this heatwave as i don't want a heated brick strapped to my face, i'm not even switching my pc on as that heats the room when pcvr gaming.

Edit: the intention to not vr lasted all of 1 hour :D just been watching netflix.

Last edited:
Soldato
The only streaming service I can currently use properly on Quest 2 is Disney+ which works great in a browser window full screen. Netflix is low res rubbish, and Amazon Prime has stopped working.

I read you can sideload the Android versions to use in Oculus TV but I don't think that has full-screen options. I wish something like BigScreen would get support for third party streaming apps.

Soldato
As you may(or may not) AMD GPUs have been limited with Virtual desktop when using Steam VR. It's been happening for a while now. You have to use a certain driver and H.264 encoding limited to 100Mbps. AMD cards don't do H.264 encoding very well so the quality isn't as good as using HEVC.

Anyway, AMD released a new driver with supposed improvements to the encoders. I tested them earlier today and the results are...... Fail. They don't work. This on 6000 series GPUs. Those on older GPUs might have better results.

Soldato
No I didn't know that

Apparently the latest driver bow works in VD according to the driver thread

But I've not tried it yet

LOL Shi, I told you about this in the Hangout thread. The time you were having double vision when using Steam VR? Remember, I got you to change to an older driver? :)

And no, the latest driver does not work in VD, at least with the 6000 series cards, been confirmed on the Virtual desktop discord.

It might work on your 5700XT. But, If I was you, I would just keep the driver you have and wait until they get it fully working for everyone.

Underboss
LOL Shi, I told you about this in the Hangout thread. The time you were having double vision when using Steam VR? Remember, I got you to change to an older driver? :)

i cant ever forget this ! :D
i knew it was a driver issue, but i didn't know "why"
or if you did mention it, i didn't understand as I'm not that computer literate

Soldato
Anyone know if the new Meta account requirement will affect Developer mode? and anyone decided yet to buy Project Cambria when it comes out?
Yes, as those with developer accounts were emailed about the transfer to Meta accounts and that Facebook logins would be optional.

I was thinking of getting Cambria, but with energy bills going up massively I'm not sure i can justify the expense.

Back
Top Bottom