*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
Index owner and quest 1 user (gf has quest) and I'm very excited for this.

I've got virtual desktop all set up to stream via wifi, so far I only launched superhot from the steam library (not an amazing choice i know :-0) but itt worked flawlessly. The display is very nice, much nicer than I thought and I can live with the reduced FOV as it has so much else to offer.

even the sound is OK, better than I remember from the original quest.

The possibilities with this are blowing my tiny mind!

I'm going to give it a full charge and get stuck into Alyx to see what this is capable of.

Good lord, what a stunning bit of kit.

Associate
How 'abusable' is the 2 hour return, is it meant to be used just to sample loads of games, like iphone trials? Or do you get blacklisted? Is it automated?

I will buy a few, but honestly 2 hours is about the average lifespan of a game for me....

They're pretty good with it, it's not automated though so if you're hammering refunds they'll probably pull you up on it.

They refunded Lone Echo for me 2 weeks after purchasing with 3 hours played.

Soldato
Virtual Desktop works better on the Quest 2 than it did on my original Quest. It's noticably smoother, sharper, and I have even had it working in my lounge two floors down so the Wifi support is better, though it's not really 100% playable there as it's a bit jittery. There is still noticable smeary compression in noisy scenes though - grass in Skyrim VR or No Mans Sky for example, or in dark scenes.

My Index still edges it out for PC VR due to the sharpness, FOV, refresh rate, and audio. Amazing that a £300 device can come that close though - It doesn't feel like the Index is worth £600 more. (Well actually 400 more, as I bought the 256gb with the battery strap).

If it wasn't for the compression and lower FOV I would seriously consider selling my Index.

Soldato
just played saints and sinners - awesome game

I take it you'd recommend it. Was gonna grab it but it's pretty pricey for a Quest game at £30. Would make it the most expensive quest game I've ever bought!

Mind you according to the web its a 15+ hour game so maybe it can justify that price tag given the amount of content.

Soldato
It's amazing to read all the positive reviews on here. Seems like it's a fantastic device for the price. Normally there is always a few bad reviews, but, it seems like this is the best headset Oculus have produced so far.

Can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow.

Soldato
Currently got a 72 year old playing. He's got a dvt in one leg and sciatica down the other, got him sat in the recliner fishing in Bait. He's not caught anything yet, but he's nailed casting :D.

My 8 year old had a great time, but unsurprisingly is now upset that he doesn't get to play more (especially hard as someone else is getting to play). He'll get over the big emotional response in time.

Soldato
I've currently got a rift s but fancied playing beat saber etc wirelessly in the living room instead of being tethered to my pc but not sure on the VD performance?
My router is 5ghz n66u and my pc is gig ethernet straight into the router
Anyone using VD recommend it and will my setup work?

Soldato
I've currently got a rift s but fancied playing beat saber etc wirelessly in the living room instead of being tethered to my pc but not sure on the VD performance?
My router is 5ghz n66u and my pc is gig ethernet straight into the router
Anyone using VD recommend it and will my setup work?

VD is recommended and it should work fine. Tips are to use the 5hz band for Quest 2 only and make sure the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs are different names so the Quest doesn't auto switch between them.

Soldato
Danlightbulb what gpu do you have
And what router for wireless VD?

I have an RX480 at the moment so need to upgrade. It still works ok but I just get lower framerates and some jitters in the games.

Im just using my Virgin Media supplied 5GHz router, which is in the same room. Works great.

The problem with a game like Beat Saber is it will be quite sensitive to latency because of the precision timing you need, especially on harder levels. You'd have to try it. Its still worth getting VD though for the other, slower types of game.

Soldato
One minor annoyance - god rays are more noticable than on the original Quest, and much worse than the Go. Nowhere near as bad as the Index lens glare which is the worst thing about that headset.

Soldato
Got it all set up and working, Virtual Desktop is good; played some stuff from Oculus Store & Steam via Wifi & an Anker USBC-USB2 cable. Screendoor is barely noticeable and the display is sharp, looking forward to the refresh rate bump. The strap is comfortable enough but the headset bounces around a bit; so the Elite strap seems like a sensible purchase. I was impressed by the inbuilt sound quality, but it's offensively loud for others nearby so using some earbuds. Build quality seems good and the packaging was pretty premium. My IPD is slap bang in the middle of two settings, so went with the smaller one for a slightly better FOV as there are noticeable borders on a the highest setting.

I'm incredibly impressed with it for the price.

I also noted that the screen is roughly the same size in megapixels as a 1440p display, so an upper midrange GPU shouldn't have much trouble driving it at 90fps.

Associate
Woke up this morning and ordered it to collect from a catalogue store to collect at 9am. Only managed to actually play with it for about 25 mins as spent ages sorting VD and getting my PC set up for streaming. Only got a 1650 super but streaming HL Alyx over WiFi I was blown away. Only a few mins, set to performance mode and on low fidelity but wow. Messing about with First Contact as well is great fun. Genuinely had a massive smile on my face dancing with the robot

Planning on buying Vader Immortal first.

Soldato
Has anyone noticed the battery cover being slightly loose on their controllers? The one on my left controller has a bit of give in it.

Seems like a minor thing but I'm contemplating returning the device as I frequently feel it shifting back and forth a fraction in my hand when using the controller. The right one is fine. Never had any issues with my first gen quest controllers either.

Annoying :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom