*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Associate
New quest 2 owner here.

I bought the official link cable and wanted to try a PC game but I think something isn’t quite right as the resolution is not sharp enough. In project cars 2, the in game resolution will match my actual monitor and not the quest. Is this a problem?

other than that, thoroughly enjoying the system!

Soldato
New quest 2 owner here.

I bought the official link cable and wanted to try a PC game but I think something isn’t quite right as the resolution is not sharp enough. In project cars 2, the in game resolution will match my actual monitor and not the quest. Is this a problem?

It'll never be as sharp as your monitor, as you're putting a 4k screen right up to your eyes essentially, so the angular resolution is much less.

That said, you can alter the quality of the image (essentially the resolution or super-sampling) in the oculus app settings, but higher quality is much more demanding and you may not be able to sustain a playable frame-rate, particually in games like Project Cars 2 which are demanding anyway.

Soldato
New quest 2 owner here.

Is your signature correct and you have a 3080? Then you should open Oculus Debug tool and change the Encode Bitrate to 300. The Debug tool is found by going into the Oculus folder on your PC. Then into Support and Oculus Diagnostics. It starts a program where you can edit some variables for the headset. Look for "Encode Bitrate(Mbps)" and change the value to 300. Leave everything else at default.

Then start your Oculus App on your PC. Go to Devices. Click on "Quest and Touch" Scroll down to "Graphic Preferences" And click on it. Set Automatic to off. Change the Refresh rate to 90hz and then in rendering resolution, try it at max and see what the performance in your game is like. If it's bad, lower this setting until you have the best balance for performance and picture quality.

Associate
Quest 2 with link here, running 500 bitrate and 1.5ss and for the most part runs fine but I'm still getting occassional stutters / audio drops outs every now and again.

Anyone experiencing the same or have a fix? I've tried setting the process to realtime etc but doesn't really do much.

Soldato
Quest 2 with link here, running 500 bitrate and 1.5ss and for the most part runs fine but I'm still getting occassional stutters / audio drops outs every now and again.

Anyone experiencing the same or have a fix? I've tried setting the process to realtime etc but doesn't really do much.

Are you talking about the Pixel override in the Debug tool? Or the Rendering resolution in the Oculus app?

Is your GPU a 1070?

Associate

If you are running the latest v25 build, there seems to be quite a few stuttering issues reported. Mine was running great on v23 but now on v25, there is bad random stuttering on link and the tested link cable speed has dropped. Also, 500 bitrate is too high, 250-300 is plenty and any higher can cause stuttering/audio glitches

Associate
It'll never be as sharp as your monitor, as you're putting a 4k screen right up to your eyes essentially, so the angular resolution is much less.

That said, you can alter the quality of the image (essentially the resolution or super-sampling) in the oculus app settings, but higher quality is much more demanding and you may not be able to sustain a playable frame-rate, particually in games like Project Cars 2 which are demanding anyway.
Is your signature correct and you have a 3080? Then you should open Oculus Debug tool and change the Encode Bitrate to 300. The Debug tool is found by going into the Oculus folder on your PC. Then into Support and Oculus Diagnostics. It starts a program where you can edit some variables for the headset. Look for "Encode Bitrate(Mbps)" and change the value to 300. Leave everything else at default.

Then start your Oculus App on your PC. Go to Devices. Click on "Quest and Touch" Scroll down to "Graphic Preferences" And click on it. Set Automatic to off. Change the Refresh rate to 90hz and then in rendering resolution, try it at max and see what the performance in your game is like. If it's bad, lower this setting until you have the best balance for performance and picture quality.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Yeah I realise the distance I’m viewing the screens from will allow me to “see” the pixels, but I feel it’s more than that really. I’m just not feeling like my quest is delivering what I’m sure it is capable of when in PC mode. for example; I think the native apps look sharper!

I wasn’t aware of the in built tool either that you have suggested. I’ll 100% get on that tonight and see if it can fix my issue.
Lastly, yes I do have a 3080 so horsepower shouldn’t be an issue.

thanks again, I’ll report back :)

Underboss
my Quest 2 is so damn good in picture quality to me, i leave everything in default settings, and i ran that free zombie game on steam (PCVR) and i was blown away that a free game could get so realistic
Asgrard Wrath i play all the time too, and i dont see pixels, i see lots of detail

Associate
Are you talking about the Pixel override in the Debug tool? Or the Rendering resolution in the Oculus app?

Is your GPU a 1070?

I have a 3070, I'm using Oculus Debug Tool to set the SS. I'm on version 25 of Oculus software.

If you are running the latest v25 build, there seems to be quite a few stuttering issues reported. Mine was running great on v23 but now on v25, there is bad random stuttering on link and the tested link cable speed has dropped. Also, 500 bitrate is too high, 250-300 is plenty and any higher can cause stuttering/audio glitches

Any idea how to fix it? 250-300 is quite a noticible downgrade tbh.

Associate
I have a 3070, I'm using Oculus Debug Tool to set the SS. I'm on version 25 of Oculus software.

Any idea how to fix it? 250-300 is quite a noticible downgrade tbh.

I think you just need to accept that VR is very demanding. With a 3070 I imagine you should be aiming for 1.4 and 250. 500 is going to put a fairly hefty overhead on your CPU, and 1.5 is too much strain for your graphics card. I run 1.3 in Occulus software and 250 bit rate in debug tool on my lowly 2070S, everything else on default.

Associate
I think you just need to accept that VR is very demanding. With a 3070 I imagine you should be aiming for 1.4 and 250. 500 is going to put a fairly hefty overhead on your CPU, and 1.5 is too much strain for your graphics card. I run 1.3 in Occulus software and 250 bit rate in debug tool on my lowly 2070S, everything else on default.

FPS is not the issue here mate, with AC I'm getting 90fps + 50fps headroom stable (140fps average). The issue is the occasional stutter / audio stutter every now and again. This is not related to FPS.

Looks like many others are having this exact same issue on V25.

Associate
FPS is not the issue here mate, with AC I'm getting 90fps + 50fps headroom stable (140fps average). The issue is the occasional stutter / audio stutter every now and again. This is not related to FPS.

Looks like many others are having this exact same issue on V25.
Wow - that's a very high FPS you are managing. I just hit 90fps with my 2070S with settings on kinda low to medium, maybe 5 cars on the track. I still feel that bit rate is your issue though, that is less about GPU and more about CPU. Have you tried lowering it to see what it does to performance?

Associate
What rendering resolution are you using? In the Oculus app.

1 in the Oculus app and 1.5-1.6 in ODT

Wow - that's a very high FPS you are managing. I just hit 90fps with my 2070S with settings on kinda low to medium, maybe 5 cars on the track. I still feel that bit rate is your issue though, that is less about GPU and more about CPU. Have you tried lowering it to see what it does to performance?

I'm running max settings too mate, saying that I mainly do hotlapping so no AI cars. If I want to do an AI race I drop things to around medium-high.

I've lowered the bitrate to 250 and it seems to help but at the cost of visual fidelity.

Back
Top Bottom