*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
have you tried it using a wired cable? is that any better? if not it could be a game issue and out of your control.

edit...........
wired cable , unnecessary use of both words i guess ;)
Ha.

Yeah I'm headset wired to my laptop. Was actually quite surprised how well wireless worked but it meant a long ethernet cable to the router across the living room. With an excitable 5 year old running around it would end in disaster. Home plugs have never worked in this house either. Drops pings.

I've even tried 3 cables now (borrowed others) and still no good. The biggest change has been driver rollback. Fixed 95% of issues. Still worse on steam games but acceptable now and then stutter. Before on latest nvidia drivers even oculus was like a slide show and was gutted I'd wasted £300. Thankfully I got there in the end.

Just this one game: guns n stories which is causing grief. Unfortunately it was one of the 1st games I tested so started from an awful position.

Soldato
have you tried it using a wired cable? is that any better? if not it could be a game issue and out of your control.

edit...........
wired cable , unnecessary use of both words i guess ;)

Ha wired cable!

No, but that's my next step, also was low battery headset at the time, so that might be two causes.

I've charged it up overnight, and am going to try running it via the link cable (non branded amazon one, but test seems to suggest green tick for cable suitability) to see if that's any better.

I assume the only difference to get Steam VR to launch via PC link cable instead of via Oculus airlink is not connecting the Quest to Oculus software via airlink and running steam VR whilst physically plugged in and it should just work?

Soldato
You need both oculus open and steam vr to play via link iirc

Yeah ok thats what I thought, you just dont connect the Quest Menu to the PC via the aitlink option(because thats for wireless play) I assume i can just launch a PC title via steam VR on the desktop pop the headset on and it should all work?

Ill give it a go later, see if it improved the feel on Ragnarock.

Soldato
Think you need to disable air link as well. Have oculus app running and launch steam game. It's it's vr only it'll launch steam vr for you if not launch steam vr manually.

Also after you've played it once it sits in your oculus played games and you can Judy launch it from there and in loads it all up

Soldato
Think you need to disable air link as well. Have oculus app running and launch steam game. It's it's vr only it'll launch steam vr for you if not launch steam vr manually.

Also after you've played it once it sits in your oculus played games and you can Judy launch it from there and in loads it all up
Well that explains why i keep disconnecting when playing some steam games then.

I have both Oculus pc app open with airlink enabled and Steam VR open. So basically i just need Steam VR open with the oculus app opened but airlink disabled?

But then how does the headset communicate with the pc without the airlink enabled?

Soldato

I have both Oculus pc app open with airlink enabled and Steam VR open. So basically i just need Steam VR open with the oculus app opened but airlink disabled?

But then how does the headset communicate with the pc without the airlink enabled?

Oculus app open, air link off & cable connected. Run test to ok cable (should be green and showing around 2gbps) and then put headset on and deny when prompted (accepting puts it in file DIR level) then it'll state a link has established. If you've clicked the option to not show it sits in settings and states link is there. Click on that and it goes in to desktop mode and from there you can see the desktop or run desktop oculus apps (rift apps) Steam VR will be one of them you can run it from here if you have already as it remembers or run it direct from your PC. Then SVR home should load up and your VR apps showing for selection.

Previous played apps sit all the way back at desktop Oculus level, if all setup it if you run the app it'll start up steam VR for you and do the rest to get you in to it.

Soldato

Actually it doesn't explain it. You only have to disable AirLink if you want to connect by Link cable.

Once you have actually connect Airlink and link cable work exactly the same way.

I would say it's more than likely that your Airlink connection isn't great.

Soldato
Actually it doesn't explain it. You only have to disable AirLink if you want to connect by Link cable.

Once you have actually connect Airlink and link cable work exactly the same way.

I would say it's more than likely that your Airlink connection isn't great.
It's weird, i never had connection issues when running games from oculus app on pc i.e. games like boneworks that i bought from the oculus store. But VR steam games i have weird connection issues now, this is over airlink.

Soldato
Oculus app open, air link off & cable connected. Run test to ok cable (should be green and showing around 2gbps) and then put headset on and deny when prompted (accepting puts it in file DIR level) then it'll state a link has established. If you've clicked the option to not show it sits in settings and states link is there. Click on that and it goes in to desktop mode and from there you can see the desktop or run desktop oculus apps (rift apps) Steam VR will be one of them you can run it from here if you have already as it remembers or run it direct from your PC. Then SVR home should load up and your VR apps showing for selection.

Previous played apps sit all the way back at desktop Oculus level, if all setup it if you run the app it'll start up steam VR for you and do the rest to get you in to it.
Okay got it, i'll try somethings out tonight and see if i can get it more stable. Like i mentioned to Melmac, it only seems to have connection issues over airlink when running steam specific games. Oculus pc games seem to work just fine.

Soldato
Okay got it, i'll try somethings out tonight and see if i can get it more stable. Like i mentioned to Melmac, it only seems to have connection issues over airlink when running steam specific games. Oculus pc games seem to work just fine.

Being too lazy to go back over your posts, does it work smoothly over the link cable?

If so, have you tried virtual desktop instead of airlink. Airlink may play nicer with oculus games since they're more likely to have tried to get the oculus platform optimised.

Soldato
Being too lazy to go back over your posts, does it work smoothly over the link cable?

If so, have you tried virtual desktop instead of airlink. Airlink may play nicer with oculus games since they're more likely to have tried to get the oculus platform optimised.
Tbh i haven't tried with the cable as im clumsy and i get entangled easily in it lol.

Yeah i have virtual desktop and that use to run smoothly but again haven't used it since airlink was available.

Would you recommend testing steam games with VD instead then? I remember VD working flawlessly as well but the visual quality was abit lower than airlink.

Soldato
Tbh i haven't tried with the cable as im clumsy and i get entangled easily in it lol.

Yeah i have virtual desktop and that use to run smoothly but again haven't used it since airlink was available.

Would you recommend testing steam games with VD instead then? I remember VD working flawlessly as well but the visual quality was abit lower than airlink.

I'd recommend testing everything. Without trying the cable (I'm not saying have a 3 hour play session, just see if it works), or virtual desktop, we can't narrow the issue down.

Soldato
It's weird, i never had connection issues when running games from oculus app on pc i.e. games like boneworks that i bought from the oculus store. But VR steam games i have weird connection issues now, this is over airlink.

Do you have the resolution per eye on Steam set to more than 100%?

Soldato
I'd recommend testing everything. Without trying the cable (I'm not saying have a 3 hour play session, just see if it works), or virtual desktop, we can't narrow the issue down.
Will try tonight, its weird cos it was working flawlessly before on all platforms but lately i've been having random disconnects when playing steam specific games.

Associate
Have you tried Ragnarok.

Gave it a go via quest link to my pc but I can't seem to get the latency settings right for me. Annoying as I think it would also be a great game.
Haven't tried Ragnarok but it looks super fun! Hope you get it to work smoothly in the end, generally I haven't had latency problems but depending on the game stutter can be a slight issue

Last edited:
Associate
My Quest 2 is crashing when using Steam VR and the cable. Any games with steam vr play for a couple of minutes and then crash out to a black screen.
Just gonna try airlink, but I know that I will have latency issues. Up until a week ago, everything was gravy and working flawlessly.

Back
Top Bottom