*** Oculus Quest 2 Owners Thread ***

Soldato
I was playing the old Oculus adventure game Wilson's Heart this evening on my Quest 2 via airlink. It was so immersive that I went to close an opened drawer with my knee like I do with some of the ones in my kitchen at home, and was momentarily surprised when it didn't close. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just bought a Quest 2 and i'm loving it.

Been playing mainly PC stuff on it so far, the PC is in an upstairs bedroom but i've moved all the furniture to one side in the living room for a few days to play about with the Steam Labs stuff which is fantastic fun for free, I love that game where you have to use the catapault.

It runs butter smooth on my machine with no hiccups however i've noticed the image can sometimes get grainy in dark areas, my machine upstairs is wired via Cat 5 to our BT Smart Hub & that's located in the hallway next to our living room, would moving the router to the living room get rid of the occasional grainy image?

Soldato
Listed my PSVR set up for sale today and decided to jump into a Quest 2. I enjoyed the PSVR but it feels very dated, because it is.

I ditched a home PC many years ago - am I missing out on any Quest features without one? I'll be using it purely for playing games I would think. Love the look of Contractors, Blade & Sorcery, Vader and Saints & Sinners. Is a 128g system enough?
Also you get Beat Sabre with it for free under the current promotion. I loved it on the PS4 but the music is so lame - crappy euro style techno and very little (if anything iirc) from licensed artists. I've seen people on youtube playing it with "proper" songs. Will they be accessible to me and its just some PS licensing issue or something?

Associate
Rediscovering standalone Onward since moving into a house with a much bigger play space. Absolutely loving it, so immersive.
I've been playing Onward most days recently. I do like it but have you seen how much better version 1.7 is (pcvr) than 1.8? (In case u don't know, they downgraded 1.8 to give it cross platform compatibility with quest 2 native).

Associate
Listed my PSVR set up for sale today and decided to jump into a Quest 2. I enjoyed the PSVR but it feels very dated, because it is.

I ditched a home PC many years ago - am I missing out on any Quest features without one? I'll be using it purely for playing games I would think. Love the look of Contractors, Blade & Sorcery, Vader and Saints & Sinners. Is a 128g system enough?
Also you get Beat Sabre with it for free under the current promotion. I loved it on the PS4 but the music is so lame - crappy euro style techno and very little (if anything iirc) from licensed artists. I've seen people on youtube playing it with "proper" songs. Will they be accessible to me and its just some PS licensing issue or something?

You're missing out on pcvr games like Alyx.
In the games where they have a native quest 2 version, you're playing a version with watered down graphics. That said, with some games there's not much difference and there are some great native quest 2 games. I can vouch for Contractors and S&S, they're good games imo.
128GB is enough for me personally.

Soldato
You're missing out on pcvr games like Alyx.
In the games where they have a native quest 2 version, you're playing a version with watered down graphics. That said, with some games there's not much difference and there are some great native quest 2 games. I can vouch for Contractors and S&S, they're good games imo.
128GB is enough for me personally.
Great thanks. As for watered down, my only VR experience is PS4 so would expect it to be better or at least as good as that! I run a series X on an OLED and didn't feel my expectations disappointed by PSVR, the opposite actually.

Soldato

As already said you will miss out on some stuff without a gaming PC but there are plenty of good games that are stand alone for the Quest 2. 128GB will certainly let you install a bunch of games and some are actually quite small file sizes. But if you want to install a lot of the bigger games then some juggling may be required.

Have you used a Meta/Facebook referral code yet for this purchase? If not I would be happy to send you one and we then get £23 of credit each. The important thing is that you need to sort out the code before you first start up your new Quest.

Associate

There's a mod called BMBF that allows you to play custom songs on Beat Saber. I'm not sure how you'd install it on to your headset without a PC though.

Soldato
Don't forget sideloading either, as there are some amazing free source ports on the Sidequest sideloading platform, including HL1, Quake 1,2, and 3, and Doom 1,2, and 3. (You do need to own the original games though to copy the game data across.)

Associate
Ok here is a pic of my pride and joy (well until the pro version comes out anyway not that I'll be buying it for a while)

1 Kiwi design strap
2 10000 Mah Berklin powerbank from Argos cost £20 with 50 cm cable seems right length.
3 Controller guards from ebay cost about £7
4 Knuckle strap from Aliexpress cost about £7 as well
5 Facial interface from Aliexpress 6 piece cost about a £10, seems comfy enough and does seem to improve FOV

Don't think there is much more I can add!

Soldato
This may have been answered earlier in the thread, but it's 243 pages TL;DR long. Has anyone had any luck getting PCVR working on Linux? I've managed to get ALVR working enough that I can connect to Steam over Wi-Fi, but almost every time I launch a game the screen goes all juddery so that any slight movement is multiplied about 1000 times and, as you can imagine, would lead to probably severe motion sickness in a very short space of time. I don't have a lot of games to test with but things like Project Cars (1 & 2) have this as did Elite: Dangerous. The only game I did manage to get working was some random free thing on Steam (Paper Fire Rookie), and that wasn't interesting enough to play for more than about 30 seconds, but it did prove that the headset was connected.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. A few more Q's..

How is the battery life? Reading back the last few pages seems people are adding extra battery packs etc.

How is the interface? Is it like Xbox live? See your friends online and what they are playing? How is the friend list managed, is it through Facebook messenger?

Associate
I've been playing Onward most days recently. I do like it but have you seen how much better version 1.7 is (pcvr) than 1.8? (In case u don't know, they downgraded 1.8 to give it cross platform compatibility with quest 2 native).
I've not gone back to the pcvr version since the standalone came out, still got a decent player base?

Soldato
Ok here is a pic of my pride and joy (well until the pro version comes out anyway not that I'll be buying it for a while)

1 Kiwi design strap
2 10000 Mah Berklin powerbank from Argos cost £20 with 50 cm cable seems right length.
3 Controller guards from ebay cost about £7
4 Knuckle strap from Aliexpress cost about £7 as well
5 Facial interface from Aliexpress 6 piece cost about a £10, seems comfy enough and does seem to improve FOV

Don't think there is much more I can add!

Now you can finally play it :p

Back
Top Bottom