OCZ VERTEX 2E FIRMWARE 1.28 + GUIDE

Soldato
@Bunyan - I think that you have done a great job and it is most appreciated. But you might just want to consider that this guide is just a copy of what is posted by the official staff here...

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...288-Using-The-Linux-Flasher-With-Parted-Magic

BUT if anything should change in future firmwares or hardware revisions which could mean that procedure has to be amended, or the erasing guide, then the official staff will surely do that on OCZ's website. When I have posted about firmware changes I have just used a link with that in mind.

Please do not think that I am trying to not be appreciative of your work as that is not the case. I would be just a little concerned if anything should change from OCZ that could be fundamental in their guides which could result in the loss of data or even a bricked drive.

EDIT : You could always include a link to the OCZ's official thread and guild for people to check if they wish, in case of future amendments, then we have the best possible solution..?

Thanks again for your heads up and hard work :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Cheers and I completely understand and as well agree with you! I will edit it if any changes are made. Not only this but i will reference the OCZ forum guide as well. As I say I tried to explain the process more than rather a step by step method.

Would a video tutorial prove useful as I could definetly develop one :)

Soldato
Your "plain English" (meant as a compliment) and detail certainly made it easier for me to understand..!

For me I always have to unplug the Vertex 2E and then hotplug it in to the USB port quickly post BIOS with my P35C DS3R, as my board places the drive in a "locked state" and thus can't be flashed if the BIOS identifies it first. Hot plugging the drive is a known solution for those with this issue. It is a security feature that I think is more of a pain rather than a help.!

A video solution for me is not required as I have flashed the drive already when 1.24 first came out using a different method, not knowing of the one you had posted. So I will try this method once the next firmware is released. You have done good job with your description that is why I would not need a vid but lets see how others feel. However if one was made it would certainly be downloaded and saved for me to use :)

I will look out for your next guide. :)

Associate
OP
When I get back from University tomorrow I will create a video which should really ease the process for people who are still confused.

Yeah mate my board (P5N-E SLI) had the same issue that locked the drive witihn Parted Magic, i simply put it in a P5Q changed the controller to AHCI and worked a treat!

Yep so anyhow expect a video that will quickly go through step by step!

Cheers
Bunyan.

Soldato
I made the guide as user friendly as possible, plus i would like to share it with ocuk members, whats your issue? I'm only trying to help people, i for one would rather read a guide from ocuk than OCZ.

Fair enough if you are now going to give credit to the original author of this guide.

But my original comment about plagiarising other peoples work still stands!
A bit of soap box stand for me, but there are personal reasons why.

When you move out of student land and into the work place, you might at some point come to realise how annoying it is when some one picks up a piece of your work, edits it a bit and then implies it's their own work.

From working in the IT industry for some 35 years, the last 20 as a contract A/P. I've lost count of the number of times that I've returned to work for a company after a couple of years and found original work that I did (programs, spec., documentation, designs etc.) that now magically has someone's else name as the author. Usually some sad permie with no real talent, who's only way to claim any credit, is to nick other peoples work. If there's anyone else out there reading this that's in the industry (especially IT contractors), you will feel my pain. Though ultimately I suppose I should not really care. The contractors mantra being "paid by the hour".

Sorry for the rant. But there you are.

I still think just a link back to the original piece of work is adequate. And I think Vimes makes a couple of good points.

People will be much more impressed with you (in life in general) if you at some point step up and create something original.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
If you have a look at the first post, I updated it yesterday with a link to the original as well as reasoning behind my editing. I think you need to take a step back and calm down. This is not a 4,000 word report by any means, I am only trying to help people.

Soldato
I'm still on v1.11 :p

People say "omg you definately need to update it" but seriously... do I?

It works fine as it is, can't I just wait until I update my PC in future - prob summer this year?

Do the updates actually improve performance noticeably at all?

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have a look at the first post, I updated it yesterday with a link to the original as well as reasoning behind my editing. I think you need to take a step back and calm down. This is not a 4,000 word report by any means, I am only trying to help people.

Pretty calm actually. You should see me when I'm really annoyed mate. ;)

It's just that this sort of thing is just the tip of the iceberg. For anyone that's been involved in marking exam papers (which I have in the past). You would be amazed (or maybe not) what blatant cut and paste jobs people hand in. And these things do get picked up. And it certainly doesn't earn you any respect from your peers.

Good luck at Uni. and I look forward to seeing your video review. :)

Soldato
I'm still on v1.11 :p

People say "omg you definately need to update it" but seriously... do I?

It works fine as it is, can't I just wait until I update my PC in future - prob summer this year?

Do the updates actually improve performance noticeably at all?

You make a very valid comment. If it's not giving you any problems. Then "yes" wait till you re-build. That's pretty much what I do.

Associate
OP
I think it's a psychological thing as well, people just love to be on the latest revisions of firmwares out, updating everything and anything possible.

Each to there own I guess :D
But really if your on 1.24 there is no gain by going to 1.28 apart from as mentioned previously very minor bug fixes.

Bunyan

Soldato
Well they only come with the latest firmware because they have to. Older firmware wouldn't be compatible with the latest hardware revisions (which have less robust NAND, less than advertised space and worse performance, yay).

Associate
OP
Well they only come with the latest firmware because they have to. Older firmware wouldn't be compatible with the latest hardware revisions (which have less robust NAND, less than advertised space and worse performance, yay).

So is there any idea to why OCZ did this? I mean don't you only get like 107GB drive space? khemist is yours based on the new NAND?

Back
Top Bottom