OCZ VERTEX 2E FIRMWARE 1.28 + GUIDE

Associate
OP
I really wish STEAM would release a client update that would allow games to be installed on seperate volumes, just so my SSD has some room to breath, putting basic games on the HDD and favourites on the SSD.

Associate
Well they only come with the latest firmware because they have to. Older firmware wouldn't be compatible with the latest hardware revisions (which have less robust NAND, less than advertised space and worse performance, yay).
That's rather underhand of them sneaking in an extra 5GB of reserved space. I saw the thread over on the OCZ forums.

Do you know of any benchmark comparisons between the new and old drives as I saw someone complaining about lower write speeds?

Soldato
That's rather underhand of them sneaking in an extra 5GB of reserved space. I saw the thread over on the OCZ forums.

Do you know of any benchmark comparisons between the new and old drives as I saw someone complaining about lower write speeds?

Found this quote on Xtreme Systems

"Smaller process has less write cycles, so more spare area is required to keep the same endurance (quite a lot larger), hence you need more NAND for the same usable capacity."

So think it's more about "necessity" than being "sneaky". Though it might be nice if they highlighted the usable space in the advertising blurb. But then again, no one else does!

Associate
So think it's more about "necessity" than being "sneaky". Though it might be nice if they highlighted the usable space in the advertising blurb. But then again, no one else does!
But they do highlight the available space - 120GB. Take off the ~7% GB to GiB conversation that we must do with all drives and we have 111GB usable capacity. The new drives only show 107GB usable space which should equate to an advertised size of 115GB

All the 100 and 120GB Vertex 2 drives actually contain 128GB.

The original 100GB drives have 20% overprovisioning. OCZ decided this was really not necessary for consumer drives and reduced this to 7% and the 120GB 2E was born.

They didn't call either of these drives 128GB.

With these new drives they are effectively increasing the overprovisioning to 11% for 115GB capacity but now they are calling the 5GB chunk garbage collection reserve and still calling the drives 120GB despite the fact they will only ever have 115GB available.

Soldato
I stand corrected.

But I did actually say "usable space" and not "available space".

Not that that changes anything you said.

PS. I'm assuming you actually mean "conversion" and not "conversation".;)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks Bunyan for the video...it will prove useful

i just wanted to confirm

this thread is to erase ssd: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...ootable-CD-USB-Linux..-Point-and-Click-Method

and the thread here and vid you made is to update firmware...

is that correct.

Yes buddy this thread is designed for updating the firmware of your drive. Just follow the steps and you will be fine. The secure erase guide is even easier than this and a tutorial is available via OCZ forums. If its easier i can add a Secure Erase guide onto this thread also.

Cheers
Bunyan. :)

Associate
OP
Could an admin possibly change the title to this thread to 1.29 or remove the revision number to just a method of updating the ssd?

1.29 Has been released, although i am not sure release notes have been provided, a member on these forums states the update as a 'must' coming from a number of users.

Soldato
An OCZ forum staff member described it as a "must" but there are no further details at this time. There should be a changelog posted tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom