OCZ VERTEX 2E FIRMWARE 1.28 + GUIDE

Tony on the OCZ forums says:

"If you have not updated I suggest this one is a must, timewarp may be fixed for some with this one.

Once I get the changelog we will know what else is covered. "

But then again... Tony said the same thing about the "timewarp issue" back when 1.23 was released! (GOOGLE it if you want to know what the issue is). But then again, no problem for most, as it only appears to effect a very small minority.

As to el Kuarlos's comment. I tend to sympathise here. If only because of the old addage
"if it aint broke, why bother trying to fix it". :):):)

PS. Obviously if the new firmware brings something "interesting" to the table, then I shall revise my opinion etc. But I'm not holding my breath (even taking Tony's vague "must have" comment into account).

Last edited:
How is it the drives fault? You updated the firmware without even knowing what it does! :confused:

Just like BIOS updates you should only do them if they fix an issue you are having.

Either way there are guides on the OCZ forums to try and get the drive out of a locked/frozen state, try those.

You're talking absolute rubbish. I've bought a product with the expectation that it would be supported by the manufacturer via firmware updates to improve performance and fix issues. Well now it turns out I am completely unable to apply the fix, and I have to become a fricking expert to even have the remotest chance of succeeding!

I don't know what planet you're from, but to me that is not good customer service. If I'd have known that that is how this tin pot company do business then I would have spent my money elsewhere. If it's a simple job to update a machine bios these days, how have OCZ failed so dismally in this regard?

I'm talking rubbish? You applied a FW upgrade with no idea what it does, it could just be a time warp fix which if you are not having that issue would be pointless to risk upgrading. You have no idea if it provides any benifits and yet you used it anyway?

FW and BIOS upgrades are always risky, less so with the latter due to the adoption of a dual BIOS system by many board manufacturers. That is why motherboard manufacturers always stress only to upgrade if it fixes an actual issue you are having...

I'm talking rubbish? You applied a FW upgrade with no idea what it does, it could just be a time warp fix which if you are not having that issue would be pointless to risk upgrading. You have no idea if it provides any benifits and yet you used it anyway?

FW and BIOS upgrades are always risky, less so with the latter due to the adoption of a dual BIOS system by many board manufacturers. That is why motherboard manufacturers always stress only to upgrade if it fixes an actual issue you are having...

No, you're missing the point. Regardless of whether applying the update is necessary (I'm currently at 1.10 by the way, so I'd assume there is some pretty major changes), it really shouldn't be this hard to update a drive which is not cheap. If you look at the OCZ forums they really are not apologetic about this. Last time I'll be buying one of their drives.

There are always inherent risks when updating firmware but that's not an excuse for providing poor tooling to do this job.

I do see your point, but then I'd guess that 50% of the failed flashes are down to incorrect settings or user error. I'm not saying that is the case with yours.

Personally I never use Windows based flash tools for motherboard BIOS updates, so I'd be rather wary using the OCZ one for an SSD. No matter how good the tool is there are too many things to go wrong in a Windows enviroment imho. They really need to provide the proper FW files so we can flash in FreeDOS or similar but from the comments in that OCZ thread it seems unlikely....

Like a lot of times in life... you both have / make good points.

Though I tend to agree with Speeds comments about updating the firmware in these drives. And I would also NEVER apply a firmware upgrade before knowing what has changed. And would STRONGLY recommend to anyone if attempting this, to read the relevant thread/s on the OCZ forums "before" trying to do this.

nero120. To get round the fact that your drive is locked/frozen, you can try updating it as a secondary drive and hot plugging it (worked for me). Also as mentioned in other threads, you can use Parted Magic to update the firmware and this "should" also get round this. Again there are guides on the OCZ forums.

nero120. I would say myself if you are still on 1.11 then updating the firmware at some point is probably a good idea. But I would still wait for a full change log for the latest firmware to appear. And if your system working fine currently, I would not even bother myself until I did a system re-build.

Only trying to help guys.

But I also agree with your comment nero120 about OCZ making these updates much simpler and have brought it up myself (along with many other people) on the OCZ forums. And it has been a hot topic (BIG moan) on the OCZ forums for a while now.

:):):)

Last edited:
I clearly posted in the guide, this MUST be done under AHCI circumstances. The update will simply not work on some motherboards which are of some age.

Stop having a go at OCZ!!

The drive being locked/frozen is because of your controller on your motherboard having an issue (most commonly seen in IDE mode).

Back
Top Bottom