Poll: Official 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Race 13/24

Rate the Budapest race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the poll result.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
All this (ridiculous) talk about whether Max might go to Mercedes - listening in to that diatribe today, why would any team want such a petulant child? Yes he's quick but so are plenty of others in equal machinery and they don't treat the team like ****.
My thoughts exactly. I thought he was past all that, but clearly he thinks he can do what he wants off track and just expect to have it handed to him on race day.

I hope the stewards take into account Max's attitude and basically overdriving the car, because that arrogance is what caused that collision. Luckily it only cost him and nobody else.

I don't know what I think about the Norris/Piastri swap. This is top level sport and this nonsense shouldn't be getting in the way of the driver's doing what they're supposed to do and that's drove faster than the others.

Soldato
I hope the stewards take into account Max's attitude and basically overdriving the car, because that arrogance is what caused that collision. Luckily it only cost him and nobody else.

All he'll get is a 5s penalty which will drop him a place. What he should get is a grid drop at Spa and a couple of penalty points.

Last edited:
Soldato
All this (ridiculous) talk about whether Max might go to Mercedes - listening in to that diatribe today, why would any team want such a petulant child? Yes he's quick but so are plenty of others in equal machinery and they don't treat the team like ****.
All of the champions have an attitude. Some mellows in their later years but in their prime, most were divas.

Any top team would be stupid to not take Max. Charles is probably the next best option in terms of younger drivers.

Man of Honour
Bittersweet result for me today, big Mclaren fan so 1-2 was excellent, I also love the Hungarian track even though races are not always the best. But the driver swap just seemed unnecessary, even if piastri was leading into the pit stops Norris started on poll so technically they both led. I couldn't hear the radio exchanges due to my 3 year old running about shouting and playing in the same room so I'll have to watch back the last 15 laps or so. Was an OK race overall.

Indeed, The team had by that stage already guaranteed the 1-2, so as far as 'team results' go then they're all good,
but why then deny Lando an extra 7 points in the Drivers Championship?? it makes no sense, RedBull would be LOL'ing at them for that should Lando finish the season within 7 points of Max in second place,
Oscar, even with todays win won't be able to challenge Max for the DC, IMO McLaren made a big mistake by trying to 'play nice', and no one wins by being the nice guy

Transmission breaker
Don
Ofc I know what you're saying, he has experience as a driver that a clear instruction from the pit wall would be better but equally drivers don't tell team bosses how to manage a team, you know?

You know that ex drivers are often brought in as consultants, and they often specifically help with this area.

Prost, Schumacher, Lauda, Hunt, Alonso, Hakkinen, and Coulthard all come to mind.

So yes, F1 team bosses often listen to ex drivers, and actually pay them to do so.

What Nico did was give him some free consultancy :D

Man of Honour
OP

Because he's either the best or one of the top 2-3 drivers on the grid; and widely regarded as one of the best drivers ever in F1 so far.
You don't think Schumacher, Senna, Prost or Hamilton ever moaned?
I think its just because we hear a lot more of the radio now than we ever have in the past tbh.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
I think we also need to consider that its the media rights owner choosing what radio to broadcast; not the FIA - its in Liberty Media's interests for them to continually broadcast the moaning as it A: Stirs up people who already hate Max anyway and B: Generates social media posts/hype, etc

Soldato
I agree 100%, they're hyping it up...
What would they do otherwise? Play Tsunoda’s radio when he gets a bit snippy in p17? (No idea where he finished today tbh)

Of course they’re going to play all the arguments between the WDC leader and his engineer, and likewise the race leader and his engineer. We barely heard from Ferrari or Mercedes.

Associate
On the swap around..

If it was agreed before the race.. the whole if we're 1-2 then we'll pit the second place guy first.. and given the undercut.. if the second place driver ends up in front then we will swap you around..

Then Lando did the right thing.. If he had been winning, and Piastri had ended up in front because of the pit stop order, then he'd want the swap obviously..

However instead of arguing, i'm not sure why he didn't swap ASAP, and then say to the team.. ok.. now can we race??? given he was faster in that final stint..

Overall an reasonable race, given this track is usually dull as dishwater..

On the Max move, if the FIA don't do give out a serious penalty for it, then of course he's going to keep doing it.. I guess he's so used to SIM racing, that he feels it's a valid move..

Back
Top Bottom