Poll: Official 2024 Hungarian Grand Prix Race Thread - Hungaroring, Budapest - Race 13/24

Rate the Budapest race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, I just want to see the poll result.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Transmission breaker
Don
Just caught the interview; hadn't realised he saw it that way - tbh if Lewis saw it that way and the stewards did I don't see why everyone is so outraged.
I suspect (although it's not supposed to be this way) they do take into account the outcomes of the collision.

For example, I am pretty certain if Lewis had ended up broken as a result of the dive they would have penalised Max, and likewise, I sometimes think they let drivers "off" if they themselves end up out of the race as a result of an incident, provided no one else really suffered.

I guess it depends on which driver you support in these situations, as to which way you want it to go, but for me, I would rather they were more strict.

Soldato
Bro would you just accept that people are going to talk about Max good or bad when he’s winning the WDC, or fighting for a podium :rolleyes: That’s the sport. He behaved like a massive man child today and thoroughly embarrassed himself and the team. If you want to support RB, go nuts, but you have to accept their behaviour and people commenting on it without calling in the tinfoil hat brigade and protesting against some imaginary anti-Max slander.

They tried to blame Lewis? Huh? :confused:
I not your brother thank you and I accept Max will generate some 'meaningful' debate. I personally don't take issue with constructive comments at all, but some of the responses are equally as poor as what they are criticising Max for.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 1 (Max Verstappen), the driver of Car 44 (Lewis Hamilton), team representatives and reviewed positioning/marshalling system data, video, timing, telemetry, and in-car video evidence.

On the approach to turn 1, both Car 44 and Car 1 overtook Car 23. Car 44 returned to the racing line before the braking zone and commenced to turn into turn 1.

Car 1 approached the turn faster than on previous laps (due to DRS) and braked at the same point as previously. The driver of Car 1 argued that Car 44 was changing direction under braking. The driver of Car 44 stated that he was simply following his normal racing line (which was confirmed by examination of video and telemetry evidence of previous laps).

It was clear that Car 1 locked up both front wheels on the approach to turn 1 prior to any impact occurring but missing the normal cornering line for a typical overtaking manoeuvre.

The driver of Car 44 stated that this was a racing incident, whilst the driver of Car 1 argued that this was a case of changing direction under braking.

The Stewards do not consider this to be a typical case of “changing direction under braking” although it is our determination that the driver of Car 44 could have done more to avoid the collision.

Accordingly we determine that no driver was predominantly to blame and decide to take no further action.

So Verstappen arrived faster than before, braked at his normal point, locked up and went straight on, but Hamilton (even though he was on the normal racing line) should have avoided the torpedo?

Eh?

Last edited:
Soldato

So Verstappen arrived faster than before, braked at his normal point, locked up and went straight on, but Hamilton (even though he was on the normal racing line) should have avoided the torpedo?

Eh?
They've somehow vindicated Max of poor driving. Which is great... Lol! He's already got his team doing that for him he doesn't need the stewards doing it too!

Transmission breaker
Don
Yeah, that's a bit of a headscratcher. So, you can deliberately brake at the same point despite going faster, whilst off line, (I am pretty sure Max knows what happens in that scenario) and the other driver, who CLEARLY held a wider line to attempt to avoid a collision is somehow more at fault?

Soldato
Yeah, that's a bit of a headscratcher. So, you can deliberately brake at the same point despite going faster, whilst off line, (I am pretty sure Max knows what happens in that scenario) and the other driver, who CLEARLY held a wider line to attempt to avoid a collision is somehow more at fault?

A total moronic decision, if he'd crashed due to be launched into the air I am sure they'd be blaming car 44 somehow for causing the accident, F1 is fast becoming a parody spectacle.

Soldato

agreed - So it basically allows drivers to be "not in control" of their car (4 wheels fully locked up) - diving down the inside, and the other car should do more to avoid the collision???

Ridiculous - Again just allows Max to continue with his hot head dive bombs, whilst fully locked up, and know there is no penalty....

Associate
Don't think I'm surprised anymore with FIA outcomes for Max. But I do think you're right @Malt_Vinegar that I think they look at outcomes from the incidents. In this case Max messed up his own race and Lewis managed to continue and hold position.

Shouldn't be that way but I do think a lot of the decision making is down to that.

Last edited:
Soldato
F1 now becomes get out of the way of verstappen

Veratappen arrives faster but breaks at same point

FIA - lewis should have got out of the way

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Don't think I'm surprised anymore with FIA outcomes for Max. But I do think you're right @Malt_Vinegar that I think they look at outcomes from the incidents. In this case Max messed up his own race and Lewis managed to continue and hold position.

Shouldn't be that way but I do think a lot of the decision making is down to that.

I have to admit in a lot of cases I'm not in favour of "double penalties" for example lap 1 incident where someone arses up and loses their front wing and ends up at the back but doesn't impact whoever they made contact with.

Soldato
People really think the outcome would be different for 2 other drivers?

The typical Max hate instead of putting blame on the FIA. They rarely serve harsh penalties where no damage occurs and the offender suffers in terms of race position.

Caporegime
I have to admit in a lot of cases I'm not in favour of "double penalties" for example lap 1 incident where someone arses up and loses their front wing and ends up at the back but doesn't impact whoever they made contact with.

I wouldn't mind if they officially endorsed the idea. What annoys when they deny it but apply it in practice.

And when they write an opinion that puts blame in the wrong place.

Soldato
People really think the outcome would be different for 2 ot9her drivers?

The typical Max hate instead of putting blame on the FIA. They rarely serve harsh penalties where no damage occurs and the offender suffers in terms of race position.
It's only their opinion versus all the telemetry the stewards have and Lewis stating it was only a racing incident, so he wasn't really concerned either. Thus I wouldn't get too worried about it if I was you.
At least Max keeps us all entertained with his passion and wearing his heart on his sleeve. Lando is similar in some ways as well as clearly demonstrated in his radio chat. If that had been Max I'm very sure there would be much criticism here.

Commissario

Eh?
It might have been handled differently if Lewis had said it wasn’t just a racing incident.

Soldato
Fuming about that. Norris clearly should have won! Also Norris is p2 in the championship, it makes sense for him to get more points.

Mclaren need their heads checking.....Piastre is a no body as far as the championship goes, he should have gone 2nd for his team mate who was beating him on merit.

Back
Top Bottom