• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I've not overclocked mine. I don't see any point really.

I did run a load of benchmarks on it and at first felt a little disappointed. Then I ran the same ones on my 670 SLI and realised just how much higher they were on the 7990.

I played BF4 for two hours last night and saw 70c/58c on the GPU cores. Awesome sauce.

The constant search for extra free performance?! :p It's an addiction, as is benchmarking!

Interesting any chance you could download HWinfo and check the memory voltage to see if it is changing?

Can do but atm its low on the list of priorities as im reinstalling windows 8.1 and bf4 currently.

I've not overclocked mine. I don't see any point really.

I did run a load of benchmarks on it and at first felt a little disappointed. Then I ran the same ones on my 670 SLI and realised just how much higher they were on the 7990.

I played BF4 for two hours last night and saw 70c/58c on the GPU cores. Awesome sauce.

How are you guys getting such low temps? What fan speed was that using Andy? Were you using vsync or an fps limiter? Got a pic of your case/fan setup? Got any side exhaust or intake fans?

Can do but atm its low on the list of priorities as im reinstalling windows 8.1 and bf4 currently.

How are you guys getting such low temps? What fan speed was that using Andy? Were you using vsync or an fps limiter? Got a pic of your case/fan setup? Got any side exhaust or intake fans?

Wrong priorities man!!!! :p

Well he is at stock!

In my 540 with 3 intake 120p's and 3 exhaust 120p's I saw temps top out at 86 degrees on GPU1 and 77 on GPU2 on a 2 loop valley run at 1125/1700 1.2 volts. This was on the stock fan profile which I think hit around 48% speed max.

Wrong priorities man!!!! :p

Well he is at stock!

In my 540 with 3 intake 120p's and 3 exhaust 120p's I saw temps top out at 86 degrees on GPU1 and 77 on GPU2 on a 2 loop valley run at 1125/1700 1.2 volts. This was on the stock fan profile which I think hit around 48% speed max.

Any side fans? Where is all the heat going that the 7990 dumps out? Mine seems to run hotter than that. However that could be because of my case maybe.

Yep as the hot air rises it will be exhausted out of the case, In addition the bottom intake will blow cool air over the gpu.

Last edited:
Pretty much what i did with my 690. Exhausting hot air was already set and doing it's think, so i just concentrated on getting cold air to the card.

In an ideal world I wish the middle intake was a bit lower to get a bit more cold air over the card but cest la vie! Seems to be doing alright regardless.

This is how my setup is currently. I'm open to suggestions or improvements.

I have 1x200mm at the front bottom blowing in. 1x120mm blowing in above that. 1x120mm at the rear blowing in. 2x120mm gentle typhoon fans on intake in the roof cooling my h100i. Then i have 4x120mm exhaust fans sucking out the heat via the side panel. It works as i can feel plenty of heat coming out. Not sure if i can improve things though as i want to keep a positive pressure and my h100i makes things a bit difficult.

YbMx6Bv.jpg

Can all 7990 owners run a test or something so we can compare temps? I want to make sure mine is not running much hotter than others.

7990 users, copy these settings and report back.

7990@1000/1500, Auto Fan speed on 7990, case fans at lowest setting, power line +20%.

Complete one benchmarking run of Valley at the below settings then quit and check afterburner for both gpu temps.

3mb9obp.jpg

Temps
FAdxc20.jpg

7990 users, copy these settings and report back.

7990@1000/1500, Auto Fan speed on 7990, case fans at lowest setting, power line +20%.

Complete one benchmarking run of Valley at the below settings then quit and check afterburner for both gpu temps.

Temps

Not sure how accurate that will be to be honest as my pc is about a foot away from a radiator so when on naturally increases temps. Ambients will play a big part, tbh I don't think your temps appear to be out of the ordinary.

Not sure how accurate that will be to be honest as my pc is about a foot away from a radiator so when on naturally increases temps. Ambients will play a big part, tbh I don't think your temps appear to be out of the ordinary.

I know but i still need confirmation and that includes you old chap. ;)

Just ran another this time undervolted to 1.100v though i doubt this is game stable.

BJNYY26.jpg

Will run one more now with my case fans at the highest settings at same settings but with 1.200v.

EDIT

Sv1PNFV.jpg

Very little change with all case fans on high. GPU1 was 1c warmer and GPU2 was 1c cooler. Maybe i should try making that back fan exhaust. That might give me a negative pressure though.

Last edited:
Your temps look ok to me, have you tried using the top fans for exhaust?

Have to agree I think your temps look about right! Will try and get a quick run in before I go out tonight but if I can't will definitely tomorrow morning.

I am tempted to strip down the cooler and apply some gelid extreme but I've heard the 7990 uses some phase change thermal paste and is not really meant for disassembly unless replacing the entire unit. (Still I'm tempted)

Last edited:
I am tempted to strip down the cooler and apply some gelid extreme but I've heard the 7990 uses some phase change thermal paste and is not really meant for disassembly unless replacing the entire unit. (Still I'm tempted)

Yes im temped as well mate. Sadly i don't have any thermal paste otherwise i probably would have already. Not sure if theres protection on there either so they will know if you remove the cooler. Don't want to void the warranty.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there isn't remember reading somewhere (overclock.net possibly) that there weren't any stickers when disassembling to apply a waterblock. I know my warranty void stickers are simply on the backplate. Maybe our watercooled brothers can shed some light if there is?

Back
Top Bottom