• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

The top fans are connected to my H100i. If i use that as exhaust my cpu temps will likely plummet. I have that as intake for lower cpu temps and the H100i doesn't kick out too much heat, just a little bit of warm air.

I didn't notice much of a difference in my CPU temperatures with fans my H100i as intake or exhaust tbh.

Here's what mine looks like:

(No side fan)
img0996pb.jpg

I wonder if i should just keep a rear exhaust and try making my four side exhaust fans intakes? Hmmm.

Most high end cases use front 2x120mm front fans and 1-2 exhaust fans.

My Antec 900 uses 2x120mm intakes at the front and 1x120mm exhaust at the top back and 1x200mm exhaust on top and case seems only slightly higher than ambient.

You might need a bigger case to get rid of the concentration of heat thats occuring.

Also try running with side case off. (i used to always run with side case open until I had a kid lol)

Could be the PSU, mine was a HX650 not 620! It's only Bronze efficiency but it was a Corsair so very good quality PSU.

I imagine my new platinum EVGA should have no issues, would you mind sharing the power hack (is it the regedit one)? I was looking at the bios editor as per the other thread as it's a lot easier but wanted to check it actually worked for 7990's before tinkering.

A good 850w depending on other components I would say. Corsair AX860 or go for the EVGA 1000w Plat (fully modular) like I did for the same price :)

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/EVGA/SuperNOVA_P2_1000/11.html

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=361

You really think trifire would run on a 860w?
I have the AX860 but didnt think that would be enough to add a 7970.

You have a blower though Rossi don't you? Blowers have their drawbacks but they get most of that heat out the case asap.

The fan is in the middle and either end is open so roughly 50% gets exhausted in the case, 50% out the back.

Though having said that, the card is open before it gets to the rear of the case, so will exhaust out the side of the card as well.

You really think trifire would run on a 860w?
I have the AX860 but didnt think that would be enough to add a 7970.

Like I said I ran my 7990 overclocked and 4770k @ 4.6 on a 3 year old HX650w (bronze efficiency) and didn't have any issues.

I'm pretty confident a platinum rated AX860 would handle Tri-fire. I mean ideally you'd like a bit more headroom hence 1000w but it's a high quality psu.

Ah that was one observation I did notice! My coil whine has reduced quite a bit since moving over to my new PSU (practically inaudible unless up close).

However it could be due to better sound proofing in the case? I don't know either way it's barely there now.

Have to agree I think your temps look about right! Will try and get a quick run in before I go out tonight but if I can't will definitely tomorrow morning.

I am tempted to strip down the cooler and apply some gelid extreme but I've heard the 7990 uses some phase change thermal paste and is not really meant for disassembly unless replacing the entire unit. (Still I'm tempted)

They use some kind of paste that hardens after it is applied, had a hell of a time scraping all that off to get my waterblock on :)

They use some kind of paste that hardens after it is applied, had a hell of a time scraping all that off to get my waterblock on :)

Yep heard that nothing a credit card, toothpick and artic cleaning fluids can't handle...I hope :P

Were there any warranty void stickers etc?

Yep heard that nothing a credit card, toothpick and artic cleaning fluids can't handle...I hope :P

Were there any warranty void stickers etc?

Don't remember, if there was it probably the same as on my old 6990. Just a sticker that if you are careful with comes of so you can save it if some **** hits the fan and you need to send it back.

On these high performance cards they should be a bit more sparing with the goo so as to get good contact. On my card it was a mess :mad:

Some good old artic silver did the job :D

How's the 7990 going, pleased with it?

No I'm not. Check this out. Sleeping dogs extreme preset, stock settings auto fan.

AvT1xjs.jpg.png

I'm going to send it back as faulty or DSR it. I burned my hand touching the case as it was at 101C. The box being damaged and the marks on the pcb make me feel like it was opened before it got to me. Ocuk maintain it wasn;t them so god knows. Either way it gets to 95c+ at 80% fan speed with the side of the my case off. Something is not right.

nFMjXVV.jpg.png

uJQY8c9.jpg.png [/QUOTE]

bjynUbI.jpg [/QUOTE]

Back
Top Bottom